The Old Timers' Notice Board

Edric O

Same as ever, for the most part. I am currently in the process of trying to do far too many things at the same time. :) Studying for my PhD, working, doing some political stuff, writing a book (while thinking of several others), supposedly also writing a journal article, and preparing for my wedding next year.

How about you?

You're getting married? Congrats! I hope her name's not Crystal ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dont Know if any of yall remember me or not. In repsonse to an earlier post, DLAGhost was a buddy of mine, he was DLAhardcrs brother. Hardcr gave me control of the DLA clan and i ran it till the old game room went down. Im looking for some old friends as well, and im reading that we can play again now? Wheres trix? I owe that fucker an ass whooping. lol. fox,foh. id like to hear from some old friends and see where they are playing, of course id probably suck now.

• 1 month later...

The "Dune Revolution" was a period of a few months, starting in the spring of 2008.

Here is what happened: By late 2007, it was clear that the number of posts on these forums was declining rapidly. In late 2007 we only had a few hundred posts per month (a very low number for those days). Then, in February 2008, Dunenewt single-handedly launched a crusade to revive the forums by posting a lot and getting other old members to start posting again as well. It worked. If I remember correctly, we jumped from about four hundred posts a month in late 2007, to over two thousand posts per month at the height of the Revolution. And it was all largely thanks to Dunenewt.

Afterwards, the activity on the forums slowly declined again, but it was only in 2010 that it actually got all the way back down to 2007 levels. Today it is much lower, unfortunately. Maybe we need another revolution...

we could start filling in he gaps left by FH :D in my case I mean the ones regarding the fighting method, weaponry, transportation, etc. Imagine how people would flame war if someone would say that MAYBE spears, javelins, throwing knives, darts and axes were also used in that time... mwahahahhahahahahahah

Imagine how people would flame war if someone would say that MAYBE spears, javelins, throwing knives, darts and axes were also used in that time... mwahahahhahahahahahah
As a matter of fact, let's actually try that shall we?

Ahem... Maybe, just maybe, spears, javelins, throwing knives, darts and battle-axes were also used in the time of Shaddam IV?

Not just in the time of Shaddam IV, but by Shaddam IV. It's a little known fact that he was the only man capable of wielding all of those weapons at once, he could often be seen with a javelin and a spear under each armpit, darts held in his elbows and a battleaxe in each hand, and he'd still hit a target at two hundred paces with a throwing knife spun from between his teeth.

Rumour has it he also kept concealed stilettos in his ears.

• Upvote 1

...and all that will be depicted in detail in the upcoming Dune movie, directed by Michael Bay.

Also: Few people are aware of this, but when a shielded person or object is critically damaged by a battleaxe, katana, or other kind of large bladed weapon, the object explodes.

Always a pleasure reading your posts, Dante ^_^

when a shielded person or object is critically damaged by a battleaxe, katana, or other kind of large bladed weapon, the object explodes.
Let's just not think of what happens when a shielded person is attacked by someone wielding John Romeros Daikatana of Time Travel :P

• 3 weeks later...

The "Dune Revolution" was a period of a few months, starting in the spring of 2008.

Here is what happened: By late 2007, it was clear that the number of posts on these forums was declining rapidly. In late 2007 we only had a few hundred posts per month (a very low number for those days). Then, in February 2008, Dunenewt single-handedly launched a crusade to revive the forums by posting a lot and getting other old members to start posting again as well. It worked. If I remember correctly, we jumped from about four hundred posts a month in late 2007, to over two thousand posts per month at the height of the Revolution. And it was all largely thanks to Dunenewt.

Afterwards, the activity on the forums slowly declined again, but it was only in 2010 that it actually got all the way back down to 2007 levels. Today it is much lower, unfortunately. Maybe we need another revolution...

How long has it been since the London meet up? 7 years?

• 4 weeks later...

I can vaguely remember Dunenewt spamming the forums, hehe. Those were good old days, but not as good as today.

Khan, on 11 May 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

How long has it been since the London meet up? 7 years?

No no no... It has only been 5 years. We met in the spring of 2008.

But wow, five years. You know what I find most unsettling about being over 25? The way the years have started to fade into each other, the way that something that happened one year ago seems equally distant as something that happened six years ago. The way I often find myself unable to tell exactly how much time has passed since a given event, unless I stop to think about it. I used to feel the passage of time. Now I don't feel it any more.

And that's scary, because I know the passage of time continues whether I'm aware of it or not. It's scary in the same way it would be scary to find yourself without a watch in a world where the sun sits motionless in the sky. A place where you can't tell if you've been doing something for a few hours or a few days or a few years.

Well, think of the "passage of time" as of a metaphor that it is. The only thing that "makes" time pass is the language-equipped mind of the observer.

I think that you can get your ability to feel the passage of time back with some effort and concentration. The problem here seems to be related to the way our heads get stuffed with all the here-and-now, short-term situations and decisions we have to attend to, and there's no time to reflect on the passage of time on a greater scale.

When one is a kid, a school or even university student, there's this illusion of stability and even predictability of the events, a fixed cycle. You go to school, you have vacations in summer; you attend lectures, you have exams in the end of the semester; then you also have vacations and may chill out and rest after a year of studies. You can look forward to some events that are predictable and recurrent.

Now when this stuff ends one finds themselves in a completely unpredictable, constantly changing environment. In a sense, you lose the fixed background to measure the passage of time against.

I fancy there are at least two ways of solving this problem: either you find some different source of stability (or the illusion thereof) and thus get the means of measuring the passage of time back; or you change your conscious perception of time so that you don't need the illusory stability to feel the passage of time anymore. For example, if you are constantly aware of the fact that everything changes, that should help build up the perception of the passage of time. It's not as easy as it sounds, and it requires some mental discipline that will prevent the mind from getting filled up with the "here-and-now" feel that captures your attention entirely. But I think this is quite possible to accomplish.

Definitely couldn't have done it without you and a few others!

I think the main problem is the lack of new things in the Duniverse, other than the odd prequel novel here and there which don't even excite former "prequelites" such as myself.

Nice to see people still modding Emperor as well, I never finished any of my mods =/  I can't even find my old mods as it was on an old PC which I threw away, although I do have the hard drive still so may have a look through it!

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Well... umm... hello again, everyone. I seem to have been gone for some 4 months. It was a very busy time for me, since a very positive change happened in my personal life (you may remember me posting about that), and there was also some traveling and moving to a new apartment. :) But now I'm back, and intend to post at least semi-regularly again.

Also, coincidentally, today is (still, in my time zone), the anniversary of the Bolshevik Revolution! A most auspicious day to return.

came across my old dune2k disc, which of course is scratched to the point of being unusable, then thought of you guys and how long its been, came across this thread, and took me till around page 5 before i noticed they were posted in 2007, heh. its been a while since ive come here, and i think i liked the old forum aesthetics better. but on another note, how has everyone been?