The Old Timers' Notice Board

Edric O

Ello everyone!

Good to see the existance of some aspect of the community still around.

I think a lot of it has to with the main page not really working and all the links being rather dead. If we fix that up, I think it will go a ways to help the site. I normally get my dune related news from

http://www.reddit.com/r/dune

Which has a good community of around 3,500 folks. We can probably snag some news from over there to throw on the front page.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there everyone.

I don't know if I count as an old-timer, since I was never really all that important in the boards, but I used to come here a lot years ago under the name "Scrinlord."

I would have posted under that name, but apparently I forgot my old password, and the Email address I used to register WAY back when is not one I use anymore.  Pity.

Anyway, I just wanted to say "Hi"

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since my last visit. I like the new forum layout. This forum has always been a favorite of mine. Glad to see the site still up even if it is not as active as is used to be.  I miss the old days on this forum when Doc Nyar, Gryphon, and others would help people with their game related issues. Emperor Battle for Dune is still one of my favorite RTS games of all time.  I hope everyone is doing well.

Guilty as charged, I'm afraid. :( It seems that my pattern of activity over the last few years has been to post on a regular basis for a few weeks, then go away for a few months due to RL concerns, then come back and repeat. Every time I come back, I tell myself, "this time I'll go back to posting on a regular basis!" And I'm absolutely convinced that, sooner or later, that will actually come true. I love this community. I may be away from it most of the time, but after all these years (14 years and counting!), I still consider it my home on the internet.

Now, more to the point, it's great to see you again, number6! I've recently gone back to playing EBFD (as time permits) - I want to finish all campaigns on the Hard difficulty, which is something I never did. As far as I know, everyone here is doing well. Most of the old crew still checks in at least once in a while, though some have been gone for a long time.

May I tempt you into staying for a while? What are your main interests these days? For my part, I'm mostly into politics, as always.

but after all these years (14 years and counting!), I still consider it my home on the internet.

It's funny how I've developed a similar attitude to FED2k, even though I wasn't here from the start of the community. Then again, FED2k is my very first forum :)

For my part, I'm mostly into politics, as always.

Would be nice to hear your opinions on the situation in the Ukraine.

Well get your asses to www.dune2000online.com

we are playing dune again, simply click the download link, its a completely automatic install, all you have to do is download. When the loader opens theres a chat option or play online option. Chat will bring you to alman, play online will alllow you to create an account in alman to actually play online. Hope all of you drop by, we need some old timers.

Oh yes, I've been following the situation in Ukraine ever since the protests started in November - in fact one of the reasons I haven't posted here is because I've been spending so much of my online time looking up the news on Ukraine. I've been meaning to post about it in the PRP topic for a long time, too (I lurk a lot, you know ;) ), but I have a lot that I want to write, and the situation changes so quickly that anything I write is going to be outdated by the time I'm finished writing it...

Nevertheless, I've decided that I'm just going to jump into that topic some time this weekend!

• Upvote 1

Guilty as charged, I'm afraid. :( It seems that my pattern of activity over the last few years has been to post on a regular basis for a few weeks, then go away for a few months due to RL concerns, then come back and repeat. Every time I come back, I tell myself, "this time I'll go back to posting on a regular basis!" And I'm absolutely convinced that, sooner or later, that will actually come true. I love this community. I may be away from it most of the time, but after all these years (14 years and counting!), I still consider it my home on the internet.

Now, more to the point, it's great to see you again, number6! I've recently gone back to playing EBFD (as time permits) - I want to finish all campaigns on the Hard difficulty, which is something I never did. As far as I know, everyone here is doing well. Most of the old crew still checks in at least once in a while, though some have been gone for a long time.

May I tempt you into staying for a while? What are your main interests these days? For my part, I'm mostly into politics, as always.

It's great to see you again too Edric O.  My interests lately is XBox 360 gaming related. I picked up an XBox 360 back in 2009 and have really got back into console gaming because of it. I have not played many games on my PC lately other than Civilization 4 and 5 and every once in a while get games off of the "Good Old Games" website. I will have to boot up Emperor some time this weekend for some nostalgia :)

I am not much into discussing politics since those type of discussions can get quite involved and in the end people are going to think what they are going to think regardless of any arguments you make. Still it is fun to read those types of discussions from time to time.

Again, nice to see you here to #6. :-)

And Edric O, we can always tie him up so can't leave this place so easily this time ;-)

That would be the most brute force method. I like the way you think Gryphon :)

Quick! Bring the rope! Don't let him get away! :P

But, on the serious side, number6 just gave me an idea. We don't we organize some friendly multiplayer games of Emperor among ourselves, for old times' sake? I haven't played a game of Emperor against another human being in years (and even against the computer I've just recently started playing again after a very long pause, as I mentioned).

I'll be out of town this coming weekend, but what about the next one, March 15-16?

• 3 weeks later...

Quick! Bring the rope! Don't let him get away! :P

But, on the serious side, number6 just gave me an idea. We don't we organize some friendly multiplayer games of Emperor among ourselves, for old times' sake? I haven't played a game of Emperor against another human being in years (and even against the computer I've just recently started playing again after a very long pause, as I mentioned).

I'll be out of town this coming weekend, but what about the next one, March 15-16?

Sorry I missed the planned weekend to play Emperor. Maybe we should plan out a month or so to give some more old timers time to plan to join in? I would be definitely down to playing with some forum members. 

You're right - we should plan more long-term. Nothing happened the previous weekend, since no one responded to my post. So, let's say... April 26-27? That should give us enough time to gather more old timers, too. I can send a couple of emails to people who don't really post here any more.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so this is the weekend we agreed to play Emperor! I realized too late that I never actually contacted anyone by email, so we'll just have to rely on the people who read this topic and see these posts. So, who wants to play Emperor today or tomorrow?

(next time we'll do a better job of organizing an actual event)

I never played online back in the day, not sure I'd even remember how now.

Now was it right click or left click to move, where are all my kobras... Point is moot unfortunately as I'm unavailable most of this week, but I hope someone turns up.

Hehe, I remember my few attempts to play online. They rarely ended well. :P I mostly played with Nema, I think...

I did play a lot of LAN games with my friends at home, though. The most hilarious game I ever played was on a Draconis map. I teleported into the enemy base with an dozen or so NIAB tanks just as his army was in the process of tearing my own base to pieces, then we were both left base-less and I made him chase me around the map for about 20 minutes before he finally gave up. Fun times! :D

So anyway, how about we actually set up a weekend to play when we are all available and promise to show up? None of us remembers how to play well, anyway. We could even play co-op against hard AIs and it would probably be a challenge.

Or we could set up an Old Timers' Tournament with people randomly paired against each other. I know it would give me a reason to practice!

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly played with Nema, I think...

Does anyone know anything about Nema? He's the first person whom I talked to here back when I joined, and for some time we sorta worked together on the high-res art for Stefan's Dune 2 - The Maker project. But I don't think I have any working contacts of Nema's, and thus no means of communicating anymore.

I met up with him in London in the summer of 2012 - almost exactly two years ago. We emailed for a bit around that time, but I haven't talked to him since. I'm pretty sure I still have his email address, though...

• 3 weeks later...