Site Updates

Gobalopper

Is the posts count gone for good?

If so, that's really unfair because guys who mostly just spam rather than make real posts, such as emprworm, dev_mech, desert_eagle, ethan (basically, everyone who won the Fed2k Spam award in the 7-way tie) etc. are listed highly on "The Top 50 Posters" even though all they ever do is spam. For you to take out the post count just like that, those guys are gonna be immortalized on that list but the list won't state the reality of the situation that "these guys got here by spamming incessantly"; so it's the legit posters who get shafted by this move and the spammers get glorified.

Unless you removed that list from this site entirely. But even then, you're still catering to the spammers rather than reprimanding them.

There are much better ways to deal with spammers like Gunwounds aside from taking away the post count. ie: you could appoint a Council (maybe the Landsraad) who Vote on who the Spammers are each month, and each spammer who gets a certain number of votes has his post count permanently reduced by 2000. This way, the legit posters get their due recogniztion for good service, spammers get thwarted as they should be, and the site is better for it.

edit, to loweezee: since you asked, loweezee, i didn't forget you as a spammer during the Fed2k Awards. the reason i didn't mention you in this site update thread is because you haven't been here long enough to be relevant for the purposes of *this* post (if memory serves, that is...). however, if you want to see your Award: http://www.dune2k.com/forum/?board=27;action=display;threadid=10368

common Gob put it back. Alot of people liked it. It wasent much but, I was excited when I got to Naib. I dident spam, it took a while and I got there the right way. I like the postions , its like a rank thing and that is a really fun feature of forums. Please dont dispose of it.

Ok part of the changes have been decided and are being coded now. There won't be anymore bans persay, unless the person is abusing the IM system or is just plan stupid, but instead we would limit their posting.

The new method will restrict how many posts you can have per day, month, week, etc. By default everyone has unlimited like usual but if we find you are annoying us or breaking the rules we will restrict your posting rights. We will choose how long the restriction lasts, how many posts you can have during that time, and how many times the restriction will loop.

So take for example someone who is just spamming threads, we would knock them down to being able to make only 1 post a week or less. They would still be able to view the boards just not post. The registration system will also change and require people to be approved before they can post to prevent people from just re-registering again.

We are also going to be tougher on people who are pissing off the moderators. Rules for that will be released in the next few days, but the basic idea will be you piss us off we lower how much you can post.

Posting has been turned back on. Some members have been restricted to certain numbers of posts-per-day, there will be a way to check that shortly. New rules are still being worked out and should hopefully be finished soon. Registration is turned off while it is updated.

If you're wondering why you can't see the Dungeon its because it is now something only moderators see and won't be coming back for regular users.

i think it's a very bad idea that only Mods get to see the Dungeon. that will cause a lot of legit members to miss a lot of legit discussion.

a few bad apples will get a thread Dungeonized, and then all the legit members miss-out and on all the hard-made, hard-thought posts of other legit members on account of those bad apples. that doesn't seem very fair. the Ichwan Bedwine system was much better. :(

maybe the mods will delete their posts instead of throwing it to the dungeon asap, but when a topic goes totally off topic and get's thrown down their I see no reason for people to get to see it any more, what will you use it for you can't reply anyway.

I think it's good I can't think of anywhere else where members can see the deleted posts and I'm sure that if you REALLY wanted to see one of them Gob would send you a log on it.

We lived without the dungeon once I think we will survive without it again, hopefully this will stop people from writing crap and forcing the threads to be deleted.

All in all I think what has been done is a fair deal.

I agree with Nav, you should re-do the ichwan bedwine member group again. If someone steps out of line, then you can take the privaledge away from them.

I second that. Not that it'll do much good... ;)

I see no reason for people to get to see it any more

the dungeon contains some of the most funniest threads! That only ended up in there because they went too far, instead of asking WHY we should be able to see it, instead maybe we should ask WHAT is the harm in seeing it?

Those threads are there for a reason ice_cube ;)

If everyone could view the dungeon then there would be no point in keeping it there, might as well lock threads instead of sending them to the dungeon as everyone can read them anyway.

We are also going to be tougher on people who are pissing off the moderators. Rules for that will be released in the next few days, but the basic idea will be you piss us off we lower how much you can post.

Gob don't that sound bad in a few ways? I mean the idea in general is a good one. But if a mod got mad there would be nothing a poster could do. Take for example TMA complaning. even Nema Fake got mad in a debate one time. I think you should include in that rule with the exception that there has to be good reason for it.

With about 15 other moderators you gotta cansider stuff like that.

Sneezer, annoyed/mad as in making rants like GUNWOUNDS did, do you think he deserves to go off advicing parents to hit their kids for the slightest mistake they make without hving his posts restricted?

Sneezer, annoyed/mad as in making rants like GUNWOUNDS did, do you think he deserves to go off advicing parents to hit their kids for the slightest mistake they make without hving his posts restricted?

If he ment has in a rant no. But just plan annoying a mod maybe has in a debate or otherwise yes. Gob seemed to define it as if you make one mad. which does happen once ever full moon in debates of all kinds.

I don't know if i missed something just ignore what i said. we'l have to get gob to define it again.

thanks for letting me post now. i am seriously sorry for spamming and it will never happen again. anyways. i think that the posting restrictions are a good idea. and btw is there any way you can get rid ov them ??? i hope there is cause some days i can post up to like 20 if i want to.

. anyways. i think that the posting restrictions are a good idea. and btw is there any way you can get rid ov them ??? i hope there is cause some days i can post up to like 20 if i want to.

You think they are a good idea but you want to know how to remove them? A good idea is to never put yourself in the position to have a post restriction in the first place....