Euro 2004

Dunenewt

Heitinga was sent off after receiving a 2nd yellow card (thus red) for a "schwalbe" from Nedved.

And sure we can be arguing the ref. They way van Nistelrooij was brought down in the penalty area was clear. It should have been a penalty and a red card for the Czeck player. If you look at the rules they refs were giving BEFORE the tournament started, the ref should have given either van Nistelrooij, or the Czeck player a card. But he didn't.

It's not I'm saying the Dutch should have won, but the way this ref acted wasn't correct.

Mmmm I see your point. Well, I guess the game is over... :( But my dad won his $10 bet on Czech Republic winning, lol. Let's forget this biased game and move ahead and see if Latvia can qualify. :)

OK for today's games, I am gonna guess the hosts will not get to the next round and Greece goes through with an easy win over Russia...

OK I watched, it was highlights only, it should have been a draw. Both played equally well, even before Robben was taken off. It should have been 4-4 IMHO... :) So many attempts on goal gone nowhere...not to forget, Edwin and Peter between the sticks did well. :D

The Czeck player who grabbed Nistelrooij like that in the penalty area should have gotten a red card and a penalty for us.

And Advocaat made a mistake taking Robben off the field.

The game was superb though, everything football should be like.

Grrrrrrrrrr I need to trash something..... preferably that arbiter yesterday... what a fucking annoying man... can't play ball for 10 seconds without some kind of card of whatever. I think overall, that a 2-2 would've been a more justified outcome. But it was a good game nonetheless.

If you'd know the rules you'd agree that it wasn't offside.

"It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

interfering with play or

interfering with an opponent or

gaining an advantage by being in that position"

Van Nistelrooij did gain an advantage by being offside. Quite obvious IMO.

Portugal will make it even if they aren't good enough to beat Spain. UEFA will not allow the host country to get eliminated so easily. Remember how FIFA "pushed" Korea and Japan in the World Cup.

Yes, the host advantage I mentioned earlier. :) If they do so, that means they are getting through at Spain, such a strong contender, 's expense! :O

Especially when Portugal has the usual home advantage... *cough corrupt match officials cough*

The host must ALWAYS get through to the next round...so the other spot will either be takeb by Greece, Spain or Russia. Of course, it is obvious which one will take the other spot and proceed with Portugal... ;)

Yes, the host advantage I mentioned earlier. :) If they do so, that means they are getting through at Spain, such a strong contender, 's expense! :O

we saw a perfect example of that in south korea.... however Portugal is a great team and I don't think there's any corruption in this, the Italians are allready starting to point fingers at Denmark and Sweden, but then again theif thinks everyone is lying.

"It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

interfering with play or

interfering with an opponent or

gaining an advantage by being in that position"

Van Nistelrooij did gain an advantage by being offside. Quite obvious IMO.

van Nistelrooij only got the ball after it was received by Robben (on the OTHER side of the field), after Robben had rushed with it to the back line and after he has passed it on to van Nistelrooij... If it was so obvious offside, how come no one complained (not even the Czecks) ? It was obviously no offside.

The rules are plain: Van Nisterlooij was offside and should have not asked for the ball, but let Robben finish alone. Haven't you seen shots that are saved by the goalie and then play stops becos the player who gets to the ball was offside when the shot was taken? The fact that Robben wasn't offside and he didn't gave the ball immediately fooled the ref and probably the players as well. There is no doubt however that it was an illegal goal.

BTW, it's sad that we lost to Russia because now France will have to lose the European crown  :-. And Portugal made it as was expected, though I didn't watch the match and I don't know about the means used.

The rules are plain: Van Nisterlooij was offside and should have not asked for the ball, but let Robben finish alone. Haven't you seen shots that are saved by the goalie and then play stops becos the player who gets to the ball was offside when the shot was taken? The fact that Robben wasn't offside and he didn't gave the ball immediately fooled the ref and probably the players as well. There is no doubt however that it was an illegal goal.

BTW, it's sad that we lost to Russia because now France will have to lose the European crown