ROTK

thomas

I just saw it today.... man, I'm still amazed. Best of all 3 IMHO.

[hide]Although I do agree with Sven about the Ghost army. It went way to fast.

And Sardukar: Two, that orc army was hugeeee and they just raced in there on horses and took them out in like five minutes....

Time isn't the essence here. They When they came towards the huge Orc army, the Orcs stepped back, cause they never expected the courage of the humans to fight such huge army. The Orcs were on foot and easily run over by the horses.[/hide]

Yes but they could have maybe done a little bit more footage of them killing the orcs....

It just seemed like they swooped on in and killed 10,000 orcs in a matter of minutes......

Even with horses , they could have gotten in some more details of killing the huge army. It was such a big deal and than they just sort of wrote it off when the enemy humans and one the elephants came in.

Maybe so, but already people are complaining about how long the movie takes. A little more footage here and there would only make the movie longer, which may lead to more people disliking it. And leaving other stuff out, just to have more footage of fighting might take the whole story away..

Yeah, we have seen enough fighting in the Battle for Helm's Deep scenes. That took too long, and it caused that Saruman wasn't dealt with as it was in the book. Remember that Helms Deep was only 1 chapter in the book.

I usually don't complain on what is in the movie and what is in the book, but this was the only thing that really bothered me.

Anyway, it was a great movie.

Maybe so, but already people are complaining about how long the movie takes. A little more footage here and there would only make the movie longer, which may lead to more people disliking it. And leaving other stuff out, just to have more footage of fighting might take the whole story away..

True but I personally would have liked the movie better if they would have had more fighting in that scene and less of the soap opera at the end....

In my opinion The Two Towers is better... Wait! Listen before you all lynch me.

Even though, overall, ROTK is grander in scale and emotion, I felt TTT was edited better, among other things. [hide]I felt some parts of the battles in ROTK were too rushed - especially since there was so much build-up - and the end was too drawn out.[/hide]

Maybe I just need to see ROTK a few more times, though (I've seen TTT many times). And I have to say that all three LOTR movies are just so great - very few movies even come close!

I really like the movie. The Extended DVD is going to be 4 hours and 55 minutes long, and will include the Voice of Saruman sequence, the Houses of Healing, and the Mouth of Sauron scene.

The Scouring of the Shire was never filmed.

Well I thought that the ending was just awesome.  As for the bit with Saruman, Jackson has his reasons as to why he wasnt in it and from what I have been told and learned this is what extra will be in the special edition.

[hide]

1) The Voice of Saruman scene

2) The houses of healing

3) Extended "spoiler" scene

4) Extended battle for Minas Tirath

5) Extended SHelob battle

6) Extended ending (yes folks there may be some more endings)

7) More in the SHire.  Not the scouring of the shire, more what happens to Sam, Pippin and Merry.  If you have read the appendices to learn that Sam becomes Mayor, this may be done.

8) Apparently there is an idea to have a different ending for Denethor, which may include the Palinth

9) Saruman death scene!

10) More of Wormtounge

That is all I have learned, however I am dubious as to number (8).

[/hide]

[hide]The better ending for the movie would have been for Frodo to let go of the ledge and burn in mount doom, and for Sam to walk out onto the ledge with the final shot being of him looing over middle earth.

Of course, then Peter Jackson would have been attacked by a hundred million nerds dressed as gandolf waving sticks and black rimmed glasses in the air.[/hide]

The Scouring of the Shire was never filmed.

Curses!

[hide]Apparently there is an idea to have a different ending for Denethor, which may include the Palinth[/hide]

Well at least they'll put in another ending for Denethor. They could have done much better.

[hide] in the books the gost army was feared by all the humans, no one from Rohan dared come near.

The ghost army however was actually an old civilization that would not go untill the king of Gondor (in this case thus Aragorn) would say that they have payed their debt and that they can go to whatever.... (heaven?) . This service that Aragorn asked for them was to assist them in the fight against mordor around Gondor... and they did. [/hide]

Here's the exact details, explained and as I read in the book:

[hide]The Army of The Dead were men who swore an oath to fight against Sauron's hordes. The King of The Mountains, their leader, swore allegiance to Isildur (aka: Aragorn's ancestor) in the beginning of the realm of Gondor. But as Sauron returned and grew in might again, Isildur summoned them to fullfill their oath, but they would not: for they had worshipped Sauron in the Dark Years(A story detail w/c I have still little knowledge of.). Isildur placed a curse on them-that their King of The Mountain be the last, and to never rest until their oath is fullfilled.

And thus they fled from Isildur's wrath, and hid themselves in secret places in the mountains.

In the words of Isildur: "Thou shalt be the last king. And if the West prove mightier than thy Black Master, this curse I lay upon thee and thy folk: to never rest until your oath is fullfilled. For this war will last through years uncounted, and you shall be summoned once again ere the end."

I believe Legolas said some backstory about this in the movie.[/hide]

*In GIR voice (Ask Irken Ordos when he's around)* I'm gonna watch it again!

My seat during the advanced screening sucked, I was there at the front 3 hours looking up at the darn screen...

well i havent seen the movie yet read the books counteless times, but if they dont have the extended version with scouring of the shire then i dont want to see the movie thats the best part in the book, when the hobbits stand up for themselves and kick the #@#@ out of the wildmen, i mean really there all decked out it says in the book, the hobbits are amazed that the four hobbits stand up like that with armour adn weapons drawn, and also how saruman gets killed that is what i also would like to see, plus seeing all the elves go to the island where they stay forever, hmmm i just cant wait and see the huge ass battle with the trolls and elephaunts, man the last book was the best by far until u realized that there would be no more, maybe someday they will make the first of all the books, forgot the name but its good i recommend it tells about all the elves and elders and how they become, pretty cool, but i am just gonna wait till dvd so i can see everything they have to offer instead of having to watch it all again,  ;)

Well I saw it yesterday whit a friend ( who's eyes where closed during a certain cavern scene) and I thought it was totally amazing, I loved it, the ending was good but i mist the cleansing of the shire, but the ending was good so what.

And I don't know what you are complaining about over the gostarmy they where great I loved it, some peter Jackson touch here and there but still...

gonna see it again very soon ( meaning when I have the money  ;))

I saw it again yesterday, and also found out that the foreign dudes are not to blame for the one month delay in showing ROTK over here...

It was all thanks to our local film festival...damn, if they can make good local movies like that they should make them the whole year round, not just on or for the Metro Manila Film Fest...but I'm already going off-topic now, so back to ROTK discussion... ;)

Certainly Khan! Well if the favourite part for you in the 2nd film was the Battle for Helmsdeep then perhaps it's not really worth you seeing this film.

[hide]

I found the 'major' battle in this film kinda rediculous to say the least. It was clear that Aragon's army came from the back, but yet they attack by surprise from the left and end up killing half of the enemy. Though I thought the final scenes involving Frodo and the ring were kinda exciting, I found the tying up of the events from the first two books at the end very tedious, though I accept that much of it was necessary.

The film also missed out key ideas about the ghost army (i.e. they should have mentioned it earlier instead of right before the battle). Its a little cheap to say that everyone is doomed and, then mention that there is this ghost army that can, being dead, destory the undead army quite easily.

[/hide]