which country will be the new super power?

nah, germany and france are highly unlikely. They are too small, Europe? ok that might have a small chance, but not just germany/france. Same goes for Japan. They have a good economy. But they will not likely be a superpower like the USA is now.

Um, Edric: The EU will have a CAPITALIST economy and a DEMOCRATIC government. Isn't that exactly what you are against?

Are you mad? Democracy is one of the ideals I stand for! Without democracy, we have nothing.

Of course, you're right about capitalism - it is my arch-enemy. I absolutely despise it and the misery and suffering it causes. However, if there's one place in the world where we can evolve beyond capitalism, it's Europe.

Russia's population is decreasing by 1,3% pr. year last time I checked. that is no good thing for a country which have the possibility to become a super power. Population is the most important thing to get better economy. cheap labour, which Inida and China has.

and how could Brazil become a super power?? poor country, only thing the country has got is land.

France is highly unlikely, but Germany is a possibility.

I think that there will be more of a power struggle for a long time after the USA dies in power. It has been like that after every major world leader passed their prime (babylon, greeks, Romans, Byzantium, Spain, England)

I believe that the strongest contenders for supiriority are China, EU, Russia(if they can get an economic boost) and a new contry, that would be formed out of parts of the old USA. as of right now, the State of California has a larger/better economy than 99% of the rest of the world, so I think that parts of the US could band together as new contries after the US is gone and still be quite formidable.

good suggestion Edric O! :) but I think that is far ahead in time.

and I doubt that Japan could ever become the world leading nation, they are only a small country with large technological resources, nothing more.

erm... England? Largest empire in the world ever? Ring any bells?

Russia? Please, its military is breaking down. The russian subs are ineffective, and stripped down. Its cities are full of poverty and prostitution, and the only thing they have for them is the oil. Once we lay our entire dependence off of oil, they will be nothing.

Russia? Please, its military is breaking down. The russian subs are ineffective, and stripped down. Its cities are full of poverty and prostitution, and the only thing they have for them is the oil. Once we lay our entire dependence off of oil, they will be nothing.

And tell me that in US are no...lighter women. Also oil isn't only thing you can find on Siberia. Russia is one tenth of the Earth, they can mine anything they want. Just they are too lazy... They are superpower until they can blow your ass altough you are on any place on the world without any complication. Four countries are such: USA, Russia, China and Britain. All have intercontinental missiles and if there is only one functional, they are still a superpowers.

its so funny to see everyone just assume that because China has seen 10 years of economic growth it will continue to do so.

anyone worth their salt in economics knows it doesn't work that way. anything is possible, but usually with such a steep growth, there comes the fall. this is just historical. you all remind me of the internet boom of 1998. everyone said only things like "this is gonna skyrocket! This dot.com will be world-wide ownage! yada yada. "

Then.....

CRASH

now here you all are talking about China this and China that in 10 years.

Truth is you have no idea...no one does. China is due for a major crash. They have had unbelievable growth over the last 10 years, it is foolhearty to project the same for the next 10. could it happen? Yes- sure, they could continue to grow like this.

But it could hurl downwards just the same

I only heard that the baloon would explode...

Well major european companies are starting to invest heavely in China, helping in building up their infrastructure, factories etc. And I don't believe that China will fall anytime soon, it really has the pottentielle to become a strong economy.

problem is that China doesn't have the same moral standars. They use cheap labor and do not have minimum wage laws. In fact, there is evidence that things that say "made in china" are actually made by children in North Korea. Of course when you use children and slave labor you will have a "bustling" economy. Don't underestimate the effects of their overpopulation and low income. The average person in China is very very POOR

ok, i take that back. some areas of china have institutded minimum wage laws, although there is no national one.

"Enterprises in suburban districts of Guangzhou may choose other minimum salary levels in line with the provincial government's policy, which stands between 510 yuan per month (US$61.8) and 280 yuan per month (US$34)"

wow. 34 bucks a month. Thats....hmmm...all of 8 bucks a week. LOL.

THe minimum wage in the US is on average (each state) over 5 bucks per HOUR.

Talk about abusive labor practices!

I know and this, and the fact that they have such low incomes make the western companies move to China, it was eastern Europe some years ago, now it's China. That and the fact that they do have some very good and hard working people on their offices is one of the main factors in why I believe China will grow into a large Economy.