Battlefield 2

Acriku

Doesnt look amazingly different. Which isnt a bad thing I guess. Same engine and whatnot ?

I think I have yet to get somewhere on BF2, no doubt spicy will remind me how long that will take, but I think I will play it to death first.

2142 may turn out to be nice.

But I would recommend  QUAKE: Enemy Territory instead.

Why?

Because BF 2142 is just gonna be more of the same old same old, with some tweaks of course.  Basically a re-skinned BF2 with some new features.

But QUAKE: Enemy Territory is going to be revolutionary in gameplay, mechanics, and graphics.

For instance, Humans will have medics that can revive.  But the Alien enemy will have medics who cant revive but can assimilate corpses of humans into spawn points for dead comrades. 

Another cool feature is that vehicles will be designed realistically.  So if you shoot the back wheel off of a 4-wheeler it will just go around in circles and be useless.

Humans will have chooper-like aircraft with constant speed and maneuverability that we are used to.  Aliens will have anti-grav choppers that are more maneuverable at low altitudes but slow and less maneuverable at high altitudes. 

But probably the most important feature of all is the sequential capping system.   No more BS of having someone fly a plane over enemy lines, parachute out, and take a cap point solo.  No more having spread out fights all over the map with 2-3 people in each fight.

Now you will have both armies clashing at the same cap point. (just like in Valve's TFC, oh the memories)   You will still be able to go behind enemy lines and disrupt supplies or spawning .... but no more cheap ass one man capping behind lines. 

The map wont be linear but the capping system will be.  You will start at your HQ and start taking cap points closest to you as you enemy will do the same.  You should meet somewhere in the center and the epic clashes that we lack in BF2 will finally exist.  To be honest i am getting tired of 10 different conflicts spread over a map with 2-3 persons in each conflict in BF2. I wanna see all the tanks and all the planes and all the troops duke it out for the finale.  Cant wait.   

Oh but thats just my humble opinion on basic facts that are known about the game from an interview with John Carmack the developer.  If you are a google-slave with subnormal intelligence who cant think for himself and has no idea what it is he is looking for in a game, you may need to wait for a paid reviewer to first play the game for 2 hours, and then assign it a percentile score before you consider buying it. 

AC

yea. BF3is gonna be a hard act to follow. Futuristic or otherwise i thnk.

maybe I just like the modern combat.

Another thing is I wish they would allow zip lines and grappling tool for maps like karkand god that would rock...all those building  ;)

I agree with the statement that BF, either 2 or 4215 (or what ever number it is, I cant be bothered to scroll to check !) will be pretty similar, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, a new angle on a recipe that works might be good for EA and some players, but I already have BF2, I dont go around playing lots of games, I prefer to enjoy a few good ones I find.

I disagree that there are no epic battles in BF2. I think there can be and at times there arent. They are not forced and they are not always garuanteed, but they do occur, especially when the maps split like on Karkand where the mec are pushed back tot he bridge and snipers and medics have a field day.

Perhaps have a more forced face on huge battle will be fun, but personally I prefer it as it is with BF2. Maybe I know no better, but then ignorance is bliss :P.

Basically the big battles depends on players and commanders mindsets.

It's gonna be an act thats hard to follow.

For bf2 it would be cool to have a map like the one in the gulf war, 'the highway of death'.  lol

not road rage, but one that were they have to survive on one single highway and a bit of dessert. And all the other army has are Apache's.

I agree with the statement that BF, either 2 or 4215 (or what ever number it is, I cant be bothered to scroll to check !) will be pretty similar, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, a new angle on a recipe that works might be good for EA and some players, but I already have BF2, I dont go around playing lots of games, I prefer to enjoy a few good ones I find.

I disagree that there are no epic battles in BF2. I think there can be and at times there arent. They are not forced and they are not always garuanteed, but they do occur, especially when the maps split like on Karkand where the mec are pushed back tot he bridge and snipers and medics have a field day.

Perhaps have a more forced face on huge battle will be fun, but personally I prefer it as it is with BF2. Maybe I know no better, but then ignorance is bliss :P.

Basically the big battles depends on players and commanders mindsets.

well yea big battles happen..... BUT the bridge at karkand is probably the best chokepoint BF2 has to offer ... and yet i dont really consider sniping and reviving to be all that epic.  Sure you do get big fights in the middle of the map sometimes... but that is often dissolved by the cheap one-man capping in a dune buggy.

Many times as a commander i have seen it happening on the satellite.  I will see the two main forces clash and i will think... oh this is great.  But on my satellite scan i will see that one prick who drove solo in a buggy or van to some cap point 60 miles behind the main fight and cap it.  Then all of a sudden the big clash going on dissolves and everyone scatters across the entire map in a frenzy of Flag capping.  Its like the flag-capping version of "whack-a-mole".

It gets to the point sometimes where people are more interested in running around capping flags in buggies and choopers (like headless chickens) than they are at really fighting.

In QUAKE: Enemy territory  i think perhaps the forced face-offs will encourage more actual "fighting" than just trying to swipe a flag.  Perhaps this will limit freedom a bit, as in BF2 you have the freedom to drive your buggy up the side of a mountain and fire your sniper rifle at the sun for 10 minutes and not have it really affect the outcome of the battle.  Whereas with Quake: Enemy Territory, if you arent on the front lines with the rest of your mates you'll eventually be camped in your HQ sucking down 50cal. of cold hard lead.

AC

If they had "slayer" type games or "team killing" matches in BF2, then I'd agree with you. But if the point of the game, at least to win, is to cap flags, then how can you complain?

Actually you can win by killing off all the enemy tickets by simply killing them. When it says 300  vs 300, each ticket represents a human life.  So if you kill 50 of them they go down to 250. SO there are two ways to win.  And i'm not complaining about flag capping.... just that when teamwork and combat are forsaken for cheap flag swipes.  Plus when someone caps a flag waaaaay behind enemy teritory... it makes everyone panic and they start scattering about.

Sure its fun for the guy who does the behind the line capping (yea i've done it), but its detrimental to the game in that it dilutes bigger conflicts into smaller firefights.  Which is why i sorta like it when we have the enemy trapped at their uncappable HQ, because then its a forced face off.

That doesnt mean ther eis a right way or wrong way to enjoy battle FPS games.  I'm just saying i hope Enemy Territory delivers something i have been waiting 6 years for.  Last time i played a game that forced epic face offs was Team Fortress Classic from Valve back in 2000.  (Was packaged with Half Life 1)

If you arent familiar with TFC, try this link  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Fortress_Classic

It was the first great team based battle FPS game.  God how i miss it.  Looking back at the graphics now makes me chuckle.  There was supposed to be a TFC2 but it was delayed until HL2 engine came out and people still dont know if it will be made.

Man how i miss Dustbowl map with those gates that would raise up hehe.  I also miss the spy class.  Wish BF2 had something like that.  Was fun infiltrating enemy base disguised as one of them and then stabbing flag-guard in the back

Spyboth.PNGSpy

The Spy (new model left, old model right)The stealth assassin of TFC, this class has fairly light armor and average speed, but has the unique ability to disguise himself as a member of an opposing team. His "special skill" button brings up the disguise menu, letting the player choose what team and what class he would like to appear to be. Enemy sentry guns will not fire on a Spy disguised as a member of that team, making them very capable of penetrating a base's defense. A disguised Spy can also position himself behind an unwary enemy to deliver an instant-kill stab (in the back of the head) with his knife. Attacking with the knife or firing any weapon causes the Spy to lose his disguise, but tossing grenades does not, making Spies ultimate sentry gun killers. The Spy can also feign death, letting him bide his time as a corpse while he changes disguise and plans his next move. Geared more for offensive support, the Spy is one of the most challenging classes to play effectively, but a skilled Spy can be very disruptive against the enemy team. Even suspicion of a Spy in the enemy team's midst can create a gaping hole in an organized defense, as defenders waste ammo shooting each other for "Spy checks" (enemy Spies still visibly bleed if damaged) or are lured out of position. However, this class lacks the speed, armor, and weaponry to hold in a straight-up shootout against most other classes, and any contact with an opposing team's Scout or Spy will expose him.

Another potent weapon available only to this class is the gas grenade, which has a temporary hallucinatory effect, causing enemies to see and hear phantom explosions, shots, flames and tossed grenades for a short period of time. This relatively harmless effect masks the fairly moderate damage over time the grenade causes while an enemy is in its area of effect. In large doses, Spy gas (or Fairy Dust) can cause severe damage.

Rounding out the Spy's unique arsenal is the tranquilizer pistol, which fires a special dart that does negligible damage, but greatly reduces its target's rate of movement temporarily. It's best used on faster classes to facilitate a lethal knife strike. The Spy is also armed with the double-barreled shotgun, nail gun, and up to 4 normal grenades.

AC

Ah TFC. The good old days where making music videos to medics and scouts conc-jumping around rediculous areas was cool, and people oo-ed and ahhh-ed when skinners would replace the skins with cell-shading characters, or 2-d characters. Those were peaceful times  :D

I just think BF2 vanilla will be a damn hard act to follow. I just hope this new futuristic one is as good or the same, but again I somehow doubt that. I really think they shoulda improved the original BF2, god knows theres alot to fix. They should combine SF with BF2 and have some nighttime karkand games. Just my opinion, or a New York city map in the heart of the city were you can choose nittime or daytime via servers. can you imagine grappling onto those buildings? I mean all these nittime maps with SF blow goats, use that crap on different often played city maps. just imagine grappling or zip-lining on karkand. Plus it's not that hard to kill thos ziplining.

the funniest thing was when you would play scout... and then a friendly sniper would give you a shot to the back which would propel you forward like 100 feet.  Haha, yea that was before friendly fire became widely used.

Haha, that minor detail no-FF gives you got me booted quite a few times - because, like on 2Fort where there are opposite sniper bunkers, I would shoot a friendly out in the open and instantly get gibbed and laugh my ass off when it happens. I'm a horrible person, I know  :D

Like I said before, imagine how nice it would be to implement the grappling hook and zipline to Karkand, and similar maps....omg all those buildings. I don't see how it would make it unbalanced if snipers and some others could have it in their kit. BTW it's not all that easy using them say on a map like karkand either. They are merely tools, not weapons. I also think that playing anti-tank kit

firing a single guided rocket at the tanks track should stop it, or from behind. and the last thing for me would be this...if I shoot a hovering hele at a flag or anywhere onm the chopper for that matter with a damn tank it should come down, a direct hit not just smoke a little and it flies away for repairs. I mean thats realistic.  Hell, iraqi made nades on a rocket brings down a blackhawk. If an M95 can take out a pilot through his cockpit glass, then an armor piercing tank round should pwn the whole thing.

For instance,

Dragon Weapon System

Primary function: Anti-armor weapon system

ManBuilder: McDonnell Douglas Aerospace and Missile Systems and Raytheon

Length:

Launcher: 45.4 inches (115.32 cm)

Missile: 33.3 inches (84.58 centimeters)

Weight:

Ready to Fire: 33.9 lbs (Day Tracker)

48.7 lbs (Night Tracker)

Day Tracker (Sights): 6.75 lbs

Thermal Night Tracker (w/1 bottle and battery): 21.65 lbs

Maximum effective range: 3281 feet (1000 meters)

Time of flight: 11.2 seconds

Armor penetration: Will defeat T-55, T-62, or T-72 w/o added armor

Unit Replacement Cost:

Night Tracker System: $51,000

Day Tracker System: $13,000

Mission: Primary: To engage and destroy armor and light armored vehicles. Secondary: defeat hard targets such as bunkers and field fortifications.

Features: The warhead power of Dragon makes it possible for a single Marine to defeat armored vehicles, fortified bunkers, concrete gun emplacements, or other hard targets. The launcher consists of a smoothbore fiberglass tube, breech/gas generator, tracker and support, bipod, battery, sling, and forward and aft shock absorbers. Non-integral day and night sights are required to utilize the Dragon.

The complete system consists of the launcher, the tracker and the missile, which is installed in the launcher during final assembly and received by the Marine Corps in a ready to fire condition. The launch tube serves as the storage and carrying case for the missile. The night tracker operates in the thermal energy range.

Inventory:

Day tracker: 1055

Night tracker: 923

Background: The first-generation Dragon, a 1000-meter system requiring 11.2 seconds flight-to-target time, was developed for the US Army and fielded in 1970. A product improvement program (PIP) was initiated by the Marine Corps in 1985 and managed by NSWC Dahlgren. The PIP, designated Dragon II, was designed to increase warhead penetration effectiveness by 85%. The Dragon II missile is actually a retrofit of warheads to the first generation missiles already in the Marine Corps inventory..

helico3.gif

Well I have never really played or used them much at all i just think they would be better use on the other maps.

That's my stats on using those lol. Zip Line 0:04:15 0 0 0 0%

I don't think it would hurt any to have mortar inf. also

Or on a sand type map being able to bury an AT mine.

BTW Gun, I've trid to get into teamspeak but it wont let me log on.

The best one is already in the topic title. ;)

Anyway, I would imagine this can house the BF2142 thread as well when it comes out (or any released info comes out).

Back ontopic, anybody want to schedule a game with all of us? I'm usually free 10:00PM EST- till whenever.

This is seriously Turning in to the "BEST SHOOT'EM-UP" thread !  :(

i don't agree erjin ,,, with the lunch of the new wave fps like the new bf and crises and others it is logical to shade a light on them even in this thread..as many bf2 players may find them self's

playing those new games....as for my self i think i wont think 2 times before i turn to the new

bf  game if i manged to buy it ..