Dune

Dune sequels

Lynch's Dune Movie

Dune 2000

Emperor: Battle for Dune

Prequels of Dune

Dune miniserie

Children of Dune miniserie

So it started all with Dune II, I saw a friend of me playing the game, the very first time...

I have vague memories of hearing Dune mentioned in passing as a kid.  I was watching Beetlejuice once with a relative once.  Anyone who has seen this knows that there is this weird scene where there are these sandworm things.  Anyway, whoever I was watching it with (my mother I think) said "oh thats just like in Dune".  And then as a kid I used to watch the movie "tremors" (dont ask why) and people used to say the same thing about THAT movie.  Anyway, then I met this girl when I was in Jr High who raved and raved about Dune.  So she lent me her copy of the Lynch movie.  I honestly didn't understand it or particularly like it.  So I thought I'd try reading the book.  I was 13 years old and not much of a reader.  I found the book at a used book store and tried to read it.  I wasn't used to authors like Frank.  I got frustrated with the book because I was confused, and I gave up.  Flash forward about 7 years.  I'm working at a library and I'm checking in videos people have returned.  I see the Dune miniseries so I think to myself "eh I might as well".  I go home and watch it in one sitting and by the time it's over, the whole story makes a lot more sense.  I'm not even that big of a fan of the miniseries...it just helped some to get a better grasp on the story.  The next day at work I see a copy of "Dune Messiah".  I didn't even know there were more Dune books.  I do a lil research and find out that this is the second one, so I read it.  It's funny.  I finished the entire chronicles without even having read the first book!.  Anyway, I finished all the way through chapterhouse in the span of a few months, then I read the first book.  I have since read the first book a total of 3 times and I want to make my way through the chronicles again.  Oh and I forgot to mention at some point in there before I got into the books, I also played Dune II.  Great game.

My brother told me " Man you should read this book, it is so cool". That was when I was about 13. I was like "eww gross, it looks boring"...

lol

My brother never finished the book, but I did, and pretty darn fast. I then read dune messiah and children of Dune. I thought it only went to God Emperor of Dune. But my friend Matt, which I have talked about often, and knows Dune like no other told me ofthe other books. I became so into Dune that I tried to convince my bro to finish it, he was too lazy to do so. It is funny that he convinced me and I became an even bigger fan than him.lol

I was around eight years old and saw Lynch's movie. It stayed in my head all along (theme song included). I saw the movie once again years later (I thought I would never see it again). Quite a while after, I lurned it was from a book, and then I thaught I just had to put this book on top of my list. I wasn't wrong: I found in the book what I had found in the movie, and of course more.

"Lynch brought me into dune"

Same here.  I saw Lynch's movie and (although the movie itself wasn't phenomenal) it captivated my imagination.  Within brief while I'd read them all.  Chapterhouse left me begging for more, although I've had to settle for BH&KJA prequels...

Dune II. The next thing Dune I managed to get my hands on was the Lynch film (actually, a VHS of the TV version, recorded from the Cotswold hills with awful reception), so I watched that. I got the book out of a library as soon as I could, and proceeded to the rest of the series and the first three prequels (and recently the miniserries, on DVD).

Now I've just ordered the remade Lynch DVD. Let's see how it compares to that old VHS.

As incredible strange as it may seem, one of my earliest memories is watching bits of Lynch's Dune on TV in French.  I think I was very very bored when I was about five, and the only thing on was this wierd spacey movie on the french channel.  I rmemeber the "secret report within the Guild" intro scene, the Baron's heartsucking scene, and the scene where the worm eats the harvester, as well as a few others.  All I knew was that the worm was neat, and Geidi Prime was the coolest planet I had ever seen, because it was almost pitch black, like I marble I had at the time.  Hey, I was only five.

Fast forward.  I'm in grade ten, and had just found out about abandonware (I was looking for the Wolfenstein 3D sequel, the Spear of Destiny).  Almost every abandonware site had Dune 2 on it, but I ignored it.  I told one of my friends about a certain abandonware site (which no longer exists), and one of the first things he went for was Dune 2.  When I saw him playing it, I thought it might be fun, so I tried it as well.

From then on, I learned more and more about the books and film from the internet.  I eventually got Lynch's Dune for Christmas that year, and found the book at my library.

When I was rather young, I saw Dune (the first game, by Cryo) being played by my family. They got bored of it quite quickly. Then we got Dune II and we couldn't get enough of it. Quite a bit later I saw the movie, and then, finally, I started reading the books (my dad read the books many, many years earlier and saw the movie when it came out in '84). I didn't catch all of the miniseries.

I had a vision which told me about the dune novels while I was eating spicy food.  ;D

seriously I saw my cousin playing dune 2, when I was like 9 years old, then I later bought the novel House Harkonnen, cus I saw it in a store, because I remembered that from dune 2 they were the evil house and I wanted to read about them. didn't know there excisted dune books before I saw that book.

well I saw the film at abt 11pm when I was at middle school and went WTF!!! didn't understand it (was abt 9) so found the book and it made no more sense (lol) came back to is a couple of years later and loved it

similar thing happened with "Catch 22" the film is soo wierd but not as wierd as teh book but still very good

When I was young I had heard of the dune games but never actually played any of them or even saw others play them. Then at age 15 I had gotten the game Alpha Centauri and while reading the 200+ page manual learned about a novel called dune (it was in the last appendix listed as "suggested reading"). I immedialy made the connection to the games and noted the novels as interresting. However it wasn't until about two years ago when I finally read Dune after seeing the miniseries on TV. Now I have read both messiah and Children and intend to read God Emperor this summer as well as reading the first novel again.