Christmas time

Dunenewt

Snow, snow and more snow. Like 30 cm here in The Netherlands.

It's awesome.  ;D

Yeah, except it seems the trains here can't handle a little snow ::). I had to change train three times, that's at every station!

More than an hour too late at work.

*Hopes he can get back home this evening*

In 'Zuid Holland', near Rotterdam. The amount of snow isn't very spectacular around here, only a few centimeters. But for some reason the trains here can't handle anything.

Actually, not only the trains. Only a few people were able to get to the office today, the rest was staying home because of the lines on the highway (lines is the correct word, right?). It's totally absurd.

(lines is the correct word, right?)

Well, English isn't my native language obviously but I'd say "traffic jam" to this scenario. Don't know if "lines" is used in this context, but I'm interested if it's correct as well. Long lines on the lanes  ::)

In 'Zuid Holland', near Rotterdam. The amount of snow isn't very spectacular around here, only a few centimeters. But for some reason the trains here can't handle anything.

Never knew another member was that close by. Next to a beautiful white city the snow has no effect on my travel plans today.

Well, English isn't my native language obviously but I'd say "traffic jam" to this scenario. Don't know if "lines" is used in this context, but I'm interested if it's correct as well. Long lines on the lanes  ::)

"Queues" would be more linguistically appropriate for the description of a traffic jam.  While "lines" and "queues" are more or less interchangeable when it comes to people, it's not always so with things like vehicles.  Unless you're more verbose about it, e.g. "there's a huge line of traffic all the way from Junction 3 to Junction 7".

Ah yes, traffic jam is the word I was looking for. I tried some crappy online dictionaries, but they didn't give any meaningful translations.

Never knew another member was that close by. Next to a beautiful white city the snow has no effect on my travel plans today.

It looks like there's quite a large concentration of dutch people on fed2k for some reason. Just take a look at the member map!

Btw, I came across this picture a few days ago. Picture taken at a train station, you can guess what 'Rijdt niet' means:

http://www.xyzw.nl/2b142f99_IMAG0141.jpg

You know what's funny about that language? I often understand a lot when I read it. I even have 2 dutch sites in my bookmarks for news about music events and usually get along well with most news. But if I listen to someone actually speaking the language I don't understand anything ;D

Well, surprisingly we have snow as well here in Hamburg which is rather unusual for this city and it's staying and not melting after a few hours like it usually does. It's been white outside for 3 days now I think and I don't like it at all. It looks good though as long as it's untouched but other than that it's a huge pain in the ass for obvious reasons like travelling (even to the nearest supermarket). I guess I'm glad I couldn't afford (and wasn't well enough for) a trip to Utrecht today.

You know what's funny about that language? I often understand a lot when I read it. I even have 2 dutch sites in my bookmarks for news about music events and usually get along well with most news. But if I listen to someone actually speaking the language I don't understand anything ;D

There's an easy explanation to this. Written language changes at a much slower pace than its spoken counterpart. Besides, the ease with which you can recognize a written word, even in an unknown language (given that you know the rules of the system of writing that is being used - e.g. that the letter sequences between spaces are usually separate words etc.), is something which cannot be done when you deal with spoken language.

So, did everybody enjoy their Christmas?  Did you get anythign exciting?  My girlfriend and I had Christmas Eve alone together at our house.  We watched Christmas specials and had a candle lit dinner of various M&M meats appetizers and sparkling wine while listening to carols on the CD player.  Christmas morning we opened our gifts from each other/from our parents and then in the afternoon we went to her Grandmothers house for dinner.  It was a nice time.