Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

640x400

No, 640x400 I think is 16:10. 640x480 is 4:3 and is the original resolution. 

Edit: On an unrelated note, I just realised my monitor is not 16:9 but 10.24:6 and the GPU was running in a power saving mode. 

I tried to play with high resolution. It looks cool! Thank you!
It is better to see at the map. I can see more bulding, units at the moment.

I use 1280x720 resolution now, when I play Dune2000. I have monitor 23", 16:9 aspect ratio.
It is unusual to see units, buttons and building so little. Slightly little for 23" monitor.

I try to use 800x600 resolution. It looks better for me. BUT! This is 4:3 aspect ratio.
I have hardware option in my monitor to correct picture to 4:3. Picture is good, but I have black bands by sides and I do not use all screen in this case.

QUESTION:
Minimal resolution for 16:9 screen is 1280x720 in High Resolution Patch now. Is it possible to make not so high resolution?
For notebooks with not big monitors, for example.

This is 960x540.
So called qHD. "one quarter of a Full HD (1080p) frame, in a 16:9 aspect ratio." See Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_display_resolution#qHD

• Upvote 2

Greetings, guys.

The path is working very good for 16 bit. In 8 bit mode I have a problem with upgrade botton, Repair botton, Sell Building, MapToggle, Guard, Retreat bottons - the bottons clickable in center only. How to relocate this bottons in the correct position for 8 bit mode?

I tried to play with high resolution. It looks cool! Thank you!

It is better to see at the map. I can see more bulding, units at the moment.

I use 1280x720 resolution now, when I play Dune2000. I have monitor 23", 16:9 aspect ratio.

It is unusual to see units, buttons and building so little. Slightly little for 23" monitor.

I try to use 800x600 resolution. It looks better for me. BUT! This is 4:3 aspect ratio.

I have hardware option in my monitor to correct picture to 4:3. Picture is good, but I have black bands by sides and I do not use all screen in this case.

QUESTION:

Minimal resolution for 16:9 screen is 1280x720 in High Resolution Patch now. Is it possible to make not so high resolution?

For notebooks with not big monitors, for example.

This is 960x540.

So called qHD. "one quarter of a Full HD (1080p) frame, in a 16:9 aspect ratio." See Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_display_resolution#qHD

I'm afraid it's not possible, since the resolutions the patcher shows are the only ones supported by your videocard. Do you happen to know if your videocard can support the resolution 960x540?

Greetings, guys.

The path is working very good for 16 bit. In 8 bit mode I have a problem with upgrade botton, Repair botton, Sell Building, MapToggle, Guard, Retreat bottons - the bottons clickable in center only. How to relocate this bottons in the correct position for 8 bit mode?

I kinda never made the 8-bit mode work properly, because I don't see the use of it for modern PC's. Where do you need 8 bit mode for?

Do you happen to know if your videocard can support the resolution 960x540?

Excuse me, I don't understand. See my signature :-) . Can you write more simple phrase?

If you mean minimal possible values for display resolution in Windows... I make right click on Desktop. Then I see properties of my display resolution. Minimum are 800x600 and after that 1024x768. There is no 960x540.

But... vanilla game runs with 640x480 (or 640x400 if we see only picture of game). And it works!

6JxZT1129u.jpg

Resolution might not be available but it might work. Back in time there was SciTech Display Doctor* and you could make custom resolutions and most worked. Check your graphics card settings/control panel-center  to see how you can assign custom resolutions. The resolution you propose is not something odd to not work. It will definetely work.

[

*a bit off topic but useful for many oldies: http://scitechdd.wordpress.com/

]

quote from Wikipedia:

qHD (960×540)

qHD is a display resolution of 960×540 pixels, which is exactly one quarter of a Full HD (1080p) frame, in a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Similar to DVGA, this resolution became popular for high-end smartphone displays in early 2011. Mobile phones including the Sony Xperia P, HTC Sensation, HTC Evo 3D, HTC Desire 600, Motorola Droid RAZR, Motorola Droid Bionic 4G LTE, Q-Mobile Noir A9, Motorola Atrix 4G and Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini have displays with the qHD resolution, as does the PlayStation Vita portable game system.

I kinda never made the 8-bit mode work properly, because I don't see the use of it for modern PC's. Where do you need 8 bit mode for?

My mod working good only in 8 bit mode because there is a lot of new graphics of units and sime bildings (for example i use 1x1 wind trap building graph). We dont have 16 graph editors at this time and I cant create full graph for 16 bit mode unfortunately. The MVI's resource editor not finished yet too. To play 8 bit mode in modern PC's need to change color mode in OS settings only (some times it need to change settings in video card).

I know that 8 bit mode is not popular, but my quastion was just in case. Maybe i can do this by my self, but i don't know what files and parametrs need to change for 8 bit.

My mod working good only in 8 bit mode because there is a lot of new graphics of units and sime bildings (for example i use 1x1 wind trap building graph). We dont have 16 graph editors at this time and I cant create full graph for 16 bit mode unfortunately. The MVI's resource editor not finished yet too. To play 8 bit mode in modern PC's need to change color mode in OS settings only (some times it need to change settings in video card).

I know that 8 bit mode is not popular, but my quastion was just in case. Maybe i can do this by my self, but i don't know what files and parametrs need to change for 8 bit.

You can edit 16bit images with mvi tool: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/25963-release-dune-2000-resource-editor/

So you could just use your 8bit images and put them in 16bit with the editor from mvi.

A cheap fix for 8bit high resolution mode would be to get the 16bit high resolution image from UIBB.R16 with mvi resource editor and save it over the 8bit version.  That does not work, because my UIBB.R16 from high resolution patch seems to be corrupt for mvi editor.

You can edit 16bit images with mvi tool: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/25963-release-dune-2000-resource-editor/

So you could just use your 8bit images and put them in 16bit with the editor from mvi.

A cheap fix for 8bit high resolution mode would be to get the 16bit high resolution image from UIBB.R16 with mvi resource editor and save it over the 8bit version.  That does not work, because my UIBB.R16 from high resolution patch seems to be corrupt for mvi editor.

UIBB style resource files (as you'll know D2k Sardaukar, but I'll say it for people who don't) only contain the raw image data and have no form of image header. As such it's impossible to calculate the dimensions from the number of pixels (I had a try, but there's too many permutations to reliably calculate the resolution). For 0.1 I decided to support both the default size UIBB image (640x400) and 1024x768, based on pixel count. Any images which differ in pixel count can not be loaded.

I just released 0.2 which has untested support for custom UIBB resolutions - main topic

Edited by mvi

It has been four months since I touched the code and I'm not the best/clearest coder. Also, the code is kinda complex because I do all kind of tricks to copy old parts. I do think I got the background fixed (UIBB.R8), but for the buttons in 8bit mode (UI_ENG.R8) you got to fix it yourself, see the code below. Good luck!

## Python script to fix UI_ENG file elements# Made by D2k Sardaukar at http://forum.dune2k.com/#from __future__ import print_functionimport osimport structimport shutildef insertbytes(location, data, invul):    out = data[0:location]    out += invul    out += data[location:len(data)]    return outdef color(amount, the_color):    out = bytearray()    #dark grey color is k = 1    for i in range(0,amount):        out += struct.pack('<B', the_color)    return outdef color16(amount, the_color):    out = bytearray()    for i in range(0,amount):        out += the_color    return out# Settingsdef func(width, height):    addables = []    path = '../data'    backup_folder = 'backup_R_files'    # Get the UI_***.R16 file, depending on D2k language    for infile in os.listdir(path):        if infile[:3] == 'UI_' and infile[-3:] == 'R16':            addables.append(infile)        # Amount menu items go to the right    move_x = int( ( (width/2) - (640/2) ) *2)    expand = 2    b_width = 28+expand    # Position of the location in UI_ENG and the new value    locas16 = [            # left, left: up, up dark, grey (8,8,16bit)            [ 0 , 502 + move_x-expand+1 ], # 502 (-33 is for making images wider)            [ 4 , 374-2 ], # 374            # left, right: down, down dark, grey (8,8,16bit)            [ 3823 , 531 + move_x-expand+1 ], # 531            [ 3827 , 373-1 ], # 373            # right, left: up, up dark, grey (8,8,16bit)            [ 7646 , 566 + move_x-expand ], # 566            [ 7650 , 374-2 ], # 374            # right, right: down, down dark, grey (8,8,16bit)            [ 11469 , 595 + move_x-expand ], # 595            [ 11473 , 373-1 ], # 373            # Repair            [ 15292 , 493 + move_x ], # 493            # sell             [ 20523 , 518 + move_x ], # 518            # bol            [ 25754 , 549 + move_x ], # 549            # guard            [ 29193 , 573 + move_x ], # 573            # Return            [ 34424 , 599 + move_x ], # 599            # Upgrade             [ 39655 , 499 + move_x ], # 499            # Starport            [ 44758 , 563 + move_x ], # 563            # Nothing filler            [ 55956 , 499 + move_x ], # 499            # Nothing filler            [ 61059 , 563 + move_x ], # 563            # Purchase            [ 66162 , 501 + move_x ], # 501            [ 66166 , height-26], # 374 (has history of not working)            # Normal scroll buttons (index: 19-42)            # left, left: up, up dark, grey (8,8,16bit)            [ 13-4 , b_width ],            [ 13 , height-374 ],            [ 1234-4 , b_width ],            [ 1234 , height-374 ],            [ 2455-4 , b_width ],             [ 2455 , height-374 ],            # left, right: up, up dark, grey (8,8,16bit)            [ 3836-4 , b_width ],            [ 3836 , height-373-2 ],            [ 5057-4 , b_width ],            [ 5057 , height-373-2 ],            [ 6278-4 , b_width ],            [ 6278 , height-373-2 ],            # right, left: up, up dark, grey (8,8,16bit)            [ 7659-4 , b_width ],            [ 7659 , height-374 ],            [ 8880-4 , b_width ],            [ 8880 , height-374 ],            [ 10101-4 , b_width ],             [ 10101 , height-374 ],            # right, right: down, down dark, grey (8,8,16bit)            [ 11482-4 , b_width ],            [ 11482 , height-373-2 ],            [ 12703-4 , b_width ],            [ 12703 , height-373-2 ],            [ 13924-4 , b_width ],             [ 13924 , height-373-2 ],                        # Power bar (index: 43-46)            # Image data starts 24 bytes further than height location             [ 79990, height-200 ], # 200, Power bar grey            [ 84019, height-200 ], # 200, Power bar red            [ 88048, height-200 ], # 200, Power bar yellow            [ 92077, height-200 ], # 200, Power bar green        ]             # Position of the location in UI_ENG and the new value    locas8 = []         for file in addables:        # Check for R16 and R8.        if file[-2:] == '16':            locas = locas16        else:            locas = locas16 #fix this one day        # Make backup file(s)        try:            os.mkdir(path+'/'+backup_folder)        except:            pass        source = path+'/'+file        goal = path+'/'+backup_folder+'/'+file        if os.path.isfile (goal) == False:            shutil.copy2(source, goal) #note the 2, keeps the original file date        print("Working on %s" % file)        # Use backup file(s) as reference        f_input = open(goal, 'rb')        f_output = open(source, 'wb')        # Image/data holder        data = bytearray( f_input.read() )                #Update location, height and width of UI elements        for d in locas:            data[d[0]:d[0]+4] = struct.pack('<L', d[1])        # Create a sorted array with image data to be inserted        insert_img = []        # Upgrade and starport menu fix        #grey_balk = data[73641:73641+3172] # 3172 = 61*26*2        k = 1        even = 1        for p in locas[19:42+1]:            if even%2==0: #only use width position as starting point                if k == 3 or k == 6 or k == 9 or k == 12:                    for i in range(0,24):                        insert_img.append( [ p[0]+24+i*28*2, color16( 1, b'\x02\x0c' ) ] )                        insert_img.append( [ p[0]+ 24+28*2 + i*28*2, color16( 1, b'\x02\x0c' ) ] )                    # Add 48*2 because it's going before the adjustment in the original data.                    insert_img.append( [ p[0]+24-(48*2), color16( (p[1]-24)*b_width, b'\x02\x0c' ) ] )                else:                    for i in range(0,24):                        insert_img.append( [ p[0]+24+i*28, color(1,0) ] )                        insert_img.append( [ p[0]+ 24+28 + i*28, color(1,0) ] )                    insert_img.append( [ p[0]+24-48, color( (p[1]-24)*b_width, 0 ) ] )                k += 1                               even += 1                    # Powerbar fixing                for p in locas[43:46+1]:            pimg = data[ p[0]+24 : p[0]+24 +(96*10*2) ] #only use a small part            pimg = pimg*10 # plenty I guess            k = 0            part = b''            for i in range(0, (p[1]-200) ): #minus existing height                                part = part + pimg[k:k+10*2]                            k = k + 10*2            insert_img.append([p[0]+24, part])                        # Insert sorted array        k = 0        for i in insert_img:            data = insertbytes(i[0]+k, data, i[1])            k = k + len(i[1])                     # Writing it all out        f_output.write(data)        # Finish the exercise by closing all used files           f_input.close()        f_output.close()

If you can get this working for r8 values:

#Update location, height and width of UI elementsfor d in locas:    data[d[0]:d[0]+4] = struct.pack('<L', d[1])

You will be very far already, because the buttons will be at the right place, only some ugly power bar stuff remains.

• Upvote 4

I uploaded a new high resolution patch (version 1.4.1) that has decent 8 bit support. Some cosmetics like power bar are not good, but it's playable. Could those who play at 8bit please report back if it works? Please make sure you use a clean Dune 2000 and not one that you have modified. Also make sure there is no old DUNE2000.DAT running in the background because of a crash/bad exit. You can shut it down with ctrl+alt+delete and end the process DUNE2000.DAT.

Download here: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/page-15#entry380752 or click my signature

Interesting... Where do you use 8-bit mode? (as user dashkov.a says)

Old computers? Or special software or hardware?

Windows xp..

old pc..

16bit works on new pc's..

8bit works gud on old windows xp nd below..

I uploaded a new high resolution patch (version 1.4.1) that has decent 8 bit support. Some cosmetics like power bar are not good, but it's playable. Could those who play at 8bit please report back if it works? Please make sure you use a clean Dune 2000 and not one that you have modified. Also make sure there is no old DUNE2000.DAT running in the background because of a crash/bad exit. You can shut it down with ctrl+alt+delete and end the process DUNE2000.DAT.

Download here: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/page-15#entry380752 or click my signature

Thanks for the update..

But how much tym will it take to fix the 8bit mode??

I have error with patch. See pic.

There are many changed, modified, versions of Dune 2000 in Internet. For example, I know at least two different Russian versions of Dune 2000.

Vladimir42, may be you have modified version of Dune. What changes was made in your version? We can not know! Therefore, my advice. Look at the previous page of this topic on forum. Page 28. There are links with distributives of Dune 2000. Almost in the end of page. You can download and install one of it. For example, "Dune 2000: Gruntmods Edition version 1.6". Read advices in that post with links. It works!

Dune 2000 with High Resolution Patch looks much better (on modern 16:9 monitor). You can choose 1280x720 resolution. It looks good!

Vladimir, you have Slavic name. Do you speak Russian? It is easy for me to repeat my post in Russian.

:-) Not easy in English.

It's the Soviet invasion! 

Excusez-moi, Monsieur Nyerguds ! :)

If it looks so terrible (I mean my post about Russian), I will write my answer to Vladimir42 in private message.

Funny. Russian-speaking people are still Soviet and Red for you...  :)

How I can understand, it was joke.

By the way, not all the Russians looks like actors in Hollywood movies about Russia.  Even VERY seldom, in real life. But this is off-topic.

• Upvote 1

Excusez-moi, Monsieur Nyerguds ! :)

If it looks so terrible (I mean my post about Russian), I will write my answer to Vladimir42 in private message.

Funny. Russian-speaking people are still Soviet and Red for you...  :)

How I can understand, it was joke.

By the way, not all the Russians looks like actors in Hollywood movies about Russia.  Even VERY seldom, in real life. But this is off-topic.

Actually according to the forum rules you can use only english when posting, so russian belongs to PM ;)

• Upvote 1