Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

If you use a CD the dune2000.cfg file is configured to read from the CD. You must edit that so it'll read from th HDD. There are some topics about how to do this, search the forum.

resource.cfg is the file that has that and should look like this to load from the HDD 

data\
movies\
data\music\
missions\
data\maps\

edit: I got it working without editing the width check and even correct fog, but there is sometimes a small misalignment when moving across the map. Not sure what is causing it.

I think only maps that fit tiles of size 16 (width) can work with this cheap hack. 1366x768 also works.

Thought the cell size is always 32x32? Those glitches are indeed strange as the orientation of some shroud tiles seems to be wrong and it is not immediately clear why this is related to the screen resolution at all. Probably some weird hacks Intelligent Games used.

Also noticed that the harvester attached to the carryall does not cast a shadow, but that might be an engine limitation that has nothing to do with your efforts.

Thought the cell size is always 32x32? Those glitches are indeed strange as the orientation of some shroud tiles seems to be wrong and it is not immediately clear why this is related to the screen resolution at all. Probably some weird hacks Intelligent Games used.

Also noticed that the harvester attached to the carryall does not cast a shadow, but that might be an engine limitation that has nothing to do with your efforts.

Don't get me started on the carryall mechanics....

resource.cfg is the file that has that and should look like this to load from the HDD 

data\
movies\
data\music\
missions\
data\maps\

Correct, and the reason it is setup like this is the designers only intended spawned games (No CD) to be playable for LAN, not for campaign or online. As stated above, this is likely to prevent rampant piracy (which would be simple if users could simply install it once and play without the disk).

Question 3: do u planned to support another resolutions? i have on the main computer at home 1360x768 or something like that im not sure if i have 16:9 or 16:10 . Can i hope for those in the future?  :))))

Hi, you can try to play in 1280x720 resolution. The game looks good on notebook in this resolution. :)

Yeah, I think you are right, they are always 32x32.

By only subtracting one from the value at Dune2000.dat+147DF4 (only available when map is loaded) you can get the tile-set bug resolutions working again. When you reach the maximum north/south you get a small 'refresh map' effect. The whole map blinks very short. I think it's something with the height also not 'officially' supporting tiles with a height of 32. So far I have been unsuccessful at finding the second height value (the first one is constantly checked on errors, I don't want that one, but maybe it's the only one we got). If you want to try it, you can use CheatEngine to easily adjust the value and run N.Kindt's patch separately from mine to enter a bugged resolutions.

Example of working 1680x1050:

s4sz8k.jpg

• Upvote 1

I think I fixed the bug in patching the .uil files, please try version 1.3.3. Download link at my signature.

You really did. Thanks a lot!

I was not capable of fixing the elevated command prompt, I don't know how to control it. Do you perhaps have an idea?

I suggest that your application requires higher privileges because you use some WinAPI functions. You could try to ship *.manifest file with patch. There is an -m <filename> option for that in PyInstaller. I do not know much about manifests, but I found some useful links: MSDN Reference, MSDN Manual, related forum topic.

In game this looks great! Thanks so much for this. The menus however are still very small, what is the fix for that? 

It's possible to make the menu's bigger, but resizing will create stretched background images, so I prefer to stick to the original game- and also menu-style.

So are you making 1680x1050 work now?

Since the hack is rather simple I'm looking into making a patcher for the .dat file, but I'm not experienced in that, so don't expect anything soon.

You really did. Thanks a lot!

I suggest that your application requires higher privileges because you use some WinAPI functions. You could try to ship *.manifest file with patch. There is an -m <filename> option for that in PyInstaller. I do not know much about manifests, but I found some useful links: MSDN Reference, MSDN Manual, related forum topic.

I'm glad it's working, have fun gaming! Thanks for the tip, I will look into using manifest files.

It's possible to make the menu's bigger, but resizing will create stretched background images, so I prefer to stick to the original game- and also menu-style.

Unless someone is willing to draw new stuff. But event then it should be an option.

This is going very well, whenever you guys feel it's ready for a BETA or even a full release just tell me, it definitely deserves a place on d2kplus.com ;)

btw, so are all bugs fixed for the english version? 

• Upvote 2

This is going very well, whenever you guys feel it's ready for a BETA or even a full release just tell me, it definitely deserves a place on d2kplus.com ;)

As far as I know it works correct for the English version(s) (UK/US) and the patch (v1.3.3) can be released on d2kplus.com.

@Refaim: I looked at manifest files, but it did not have any effect on the elevated command window.

All reporeted crashes are fixed so it's definitely playable.

This was discussed already couple years ago:

http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/?p=338020

Problem is that it would never work. If you only adjust the resolution you are still left with:

- Letterbox problem (Dune 2000 won't draw from  Y=0 and will snap the battlefield to the bottom leaving huge black area above)

- The building/units icons will be located directly in the battlefield since they are hardcoded for 640x480

- The UI will be distorted

- Crashes below upgrade/starport on mouse button press and general mouse movement

- Tooltip problem in starport menu

- And other problems i don't remember that were fixed along the way ...

I still have a picture of D2K on how it looks like if you only change the resolution (first steps going high res), looks horrible.

• Upvote 2

It doesn't actually work. I pasted the whole folder in a stock dune directory, ran the d2k_patch.exe and set a resolution, only the images seem to be moved, the resolution is still the original one, so the .uil files were not changed. When the .exe patches it, does it apply the .dat file as well or that one has to be downloaded separately? If it does then that kinda means that u do apply another "patch" before this one and the readme is confusing, saying that "no other hi-res patches applied before".

EDIT: I managed to take a screenshot, it seems to give an error (yes, I ran it as admin)

oaoyyt.jpg

It doesn't actually work. I pasted the whole folder in a stock dune directory, ran the d2k_patch.exe and set a resolution, only the images seem to be moved, the resolution is still the original one, so the .uil files were not changed. When the .exe patches it, does it apply the .dat file as well or that one has to be downloaded separately? If it does then that kinda means that u do apply another "patch" before this one and the readme is confusing, saying that "no other hi-res patches applied before".

It updates the .dat file also automatically. Apparently not in your case. Are you sure you are using a 'fresh' Dune 2000 1.06 English version?

EDIT: You are running the game from the CD?

@Refaim: Do you know a way to pause the window when an error occurs? I tried putting the script in a giant try statement, followed by an raw_input() when an error occurred, it did not work for me.

EDIT: I will update the patch. It's a silly bug, I presumed everyone has the missions folder in their Dune 2000 folder, but apparently some people play the game from the CD (or virtual CD). I will adjust it so it won't update the missions maps when it's not there, disadvantage of this is that you have a crash on small maps when resolution is higher than 1024x768. I suggest you to go the no-cd way.

Edited by D2k Sardaukar