A list of all Dune books and related work

Egeides

• 3 weeks later...

It's not Dune books or "related works". Dr.McNelly's posts/else are pertinent enough, but it doesn't really fit "interviews and chat archive" either (it's only FED2k material from what I remember - unless we can paste things here?). Anyways, I would see them in a single place like the rest, without being too sure where in the "list of important threads and topics". Unless making a thread just for that or "exterior interviews", but maybe it's too sub-sub-division. So I propose to put these few urls somewhere, wherever whoever concerned fit it with the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been working on a list of secondary sources only for some time now.  Those of you who liked this list would definately be interested in the things I have found.  It is very much a work in progress, as I not only have about 65 items to add to the list now, but I am also scanning in and posting versions of all of the non-web based items that I have, such as masters theses and PhD dissertations.  Here is a link to the list:

http://bb.solahpmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4

Enjoy, and feel free to give me PM's if you think I missed something.  But realize that most probably, I have it and have just not gotten around to posting it yet. 

I have been working on a list of secondary sources only for some time now.  Those of you who liked this list would definately be interested in the things I have found.  It is very much a work in progress, as I not only have about 65 items to add to the list now, but I am also scanning in and posting versions of all of the non-web based items that I have, such as masters theses and PhD dissertations.  Here is a link to the list:

http://bb.solahpmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4

Enjoy, and feel free to give me PM's if you think I missed something.  But realize that most probably, I have it and have just not gotten around to posting it yet. 

Hmm... I see FED2k isn't on your list ;)

Vangaurd, what do you think about adding The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, etc.?

Are you referring to the Atreides were (supposedly) descended from the Acheans?  I don't really know if it'd be necessary to cite those works as "Dune-related".  After all, Dune takes inspiration from many sources.

If you'd like to add them, though, feel free to do so.

Well, it is a list of all dune books and related work.  I think we've gotten a lot of Dune books, why not go more for the related work?  His sources and inspirations?  Books and other materials that were directly and obviously inspired by Dune?

As well, a very strong argument could be made that Frank Herbert was writing his own Greek Tragedy with the series.

It would be as hard as clicking "edit" to put a "FH influences" section. I just don't know where you would set a line to for what is or not in there (eg. Iliad). Not every influence was explicitly acknowleged (but I know of Jung, Heidegger, Erewhon... the list could go on, that's interesting)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's interesting and well executed, but he's had to create most of the details, since the books don't really give that much. ;)

(Someone posted this a long while back over on either Dumb Novels or AridKween.)

Also, there are a few errors... The proper adjective for things of, on or pertaining to Arrakis is "Arrakeen". (FH never used "Arrakian".) And while the worms do not produce spice (an error made in the latter McDune books), the worms, sandtrout, sand plankton and spice are all part of an integrated biosphere dominated by what is essentially a single species.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...