Sardaukar2k/New Dune Game

Inoculator9

generally I think you should release it as a freeware,considering that all modern games now require about a team of about a hundred or possibly a few hundred people to complete it in a span of a year or sometimes even a few years,and there are only the 2 of u.Seriously,you should release it as a freeware,I am not speaking from the view of a freeloader,but really,make it a freeware.But you can also sell it in Africa where it would be only the second computer game available there to Pong. ;D

They're not making a game like emperor, it's basically this: make a code to move objects, object animations are made by artists, damage calculators/scanners, ability to put buildings on a certain graphic and some coding to duplicate a unit (build a unit) that's all.

The basics of the game:

Create:

* An ini scripting language from scratch allowing modders to modify the game with as few limitations as possible

* A Directx7 2d rendering engine

* Sprites/interface graphic

* Variables and arrays to store info in the correct way

* Scrolling code

* Unit and structure code

* Artificial intelligence

* Path finding code

Well, that's about the main points of a game.

I think it's a tie between pathfinding and AI.

Pathfindinding is not too hard, because there are some ready-to-use methods(they have to be programmed from scratch, but the idea is there to use).

Examples: A*, Djikstra.

i made Redux (Dune 2 clone) and by far the hardest to do is AI.

Cyborg is correct. once you implement the pathfinding (easy with all the snippets you can get for free off the internet) you will only need to do a little customization and then pathfinding is basically done.

the thing with the AI is that you have to much much more complicated thinking, and there aren't many places to get help since it is so much based on your particular game engine. getting a computer to think like a human is not as easy as it sounds.

But I think you will either have to sell your idea to a game company or just patent it and sell it out by yourself[not on the streets but to shops/marts/etc.].You will be rich! :P

Especially when it's 3D,it will sell well!Now is the pioneering time for all 3D RTS games!But you should give the people who posted on this thread a free version because they are giving you moral support. ;D

Good luck! :D

Sardaukar 2000 brings to many links to Dune 2000 and I think too many people will see it as purely a mod for Dune 2000. :-

Well it is not a mod. People may see similarities between it and dune 2000. (the 2000 name)

Links? How so? because it is based on Dune? similiar graphics? From what I see so far, there will be more to Sardaukar 2000 than Dune2k.(replayability)

Hopefully it will be shown to people that it is not a mod for dune2k with reviews, screenshots etc.

Sardaukar 2000 brings to many links to Dune 2000 and I think too many people will see it as purely a mod for Dune 2000. :-

Well, it will be quite far from Dune 2000, because we just used that as a vague picture of how the game was planned.

But it will be a bit different.

The thing I worry about right now is not what's hard or not. It's simply time.

Time is every lone programmer's worst enemy. Everything takes time. Even the smallest of code snippets. I hate time...

Time is every lone programmer's worst enemy. Everything takes time. Even the smallest of code snippets. I hate time...

Unless you have lots of time!

My updates are coming smaller, as I am very busy lately with work, socializing, and soon moving. By second week in September all 3 will die down some.(except socilaizing.)

EDIT - oops, I wasnt actually updating the right file and uploading it..fixed that now so the missions are updated.

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/~sherrya/missions.html