Why can't humans work together to achieve a common goal?

IxianMace

But we'll probably just fight each other instead, like we always do in a crisis. ::)

This comment by Edric O made me think over a question that I've long wanted to know the answer to. Why can't humans, as a species, co-operate to achieve a common goal? If all the countries in the world helped each other to find ways to eliminate poverty in third world countries and other worthy causes like reduce greenhouse gas emissions, then don't you think this world would be a much better place to live in? Does it take an alien invasion or something of a major catastrophe to make people realize that fighting among one another is futile and pointless? I want your opinion, why can humans not unite as a species and work together towards a common goal? I mean afterall, we are all human, aren't we?

Because of our animal instincts. But in time, we will override them. Intelligence and co-operation will triumph over animalic violence and competition.

Some will say it's "human nature". Do not believe it. It's not human nature, it's animal nature. And we will rise above it.

I think the lack of will to cooperate with humans is caused by the fact we don't understand eachother. We don't know what the other is thinking, and thus we become distrustful. Politicians of different countries generally do not trust eachother (even of friendly countries, they don't trust eachother completely). If country 1 says, move your entire army to that location to attack the enemy, then I'll come from the other side then how knows country 2 (ally of country 1) that country 1 will not stab him in the back when he moves his army? Now say we were telepathic- then we would all understand eachother, and there would be no reason for conflict.

Alas...

Greed. As animals, we have desires for the community - some animals will hapily sacrifice themselves for the continuation of the species. We also have the personal desire to promote ourselves (and our genetic stock). We are tending ever more to the second - leading us to fight each other more and more. We even use an entire economical and political system based upon this.

either you worded your thought kinda bad or you said that animals have greed. They have no feeling of greed. Only instinct. Its all about the sin nature we have. its natural for us to mess up.lol

because humans are sinful. Jer 17:9 says the human heart is wicked above all else. People have been this way, and Jesus promises us that it will remain this way until He returns and finally puts an end to it. IN the last days there will be wars upon wars that will culminate in the ultimate battle of Armageddon. Armageddon, btw, is the battle that will take place at Megiddo, a valley in Israel. Peace on earth? Only brought by the Antichrist and will be very short lived.

Country (A) unites with Country (B), with no distrust whatsoever. Defensive mechanisms and shields are all destroyed as their use is obsolete. Offensive mechanisms are all destroyed because there is no distrust. Country (A) basks in the sun of peace, until Country (B) brings its whole army to invade the lazy unguarded Country (A) and Country (B) reigns superior.