Bring it Back to Life!!!!

Weeman06

Well, I do try to find all the latest news on Dune, not there's not much out there, and not many people seem to notice what I do find.  What kind of events should we organise?  I think there's another Emperor tournament being organised as well.

Since it seems difficult to get people to increase their posting rate for no reason, maybe we should give them reasons - i.e. organize events of some sort.

How about we block the first user who manages to get 30 posts in one day?

I'm still quite confident that the board is simply maturing - topics are created only when there's something to be discussed, and lately, there has been very little Dune-wise to talk about.  Even with the new sequels / in-between-quels (I patent this word!), there's a sizeable chunk of the Dune fan-base that dislike what Brian and Kevin have done with the series.

On sites more devoted to the books and the books alone, you'll probably see a flurry of activity regarding the new novel, but FED2k has always been more of a Dune game site, with a lot more focus on the Duniverse as a whole.  It's not surprising that we have gone quieter as Dune 2000 and Emperor have faded into obscurity.

But soon, the new Dune movie will be out.  And you know that will mean a new Dune game - it's practically guaranteed.  EA will latch on to the success and the rabid fandom and will create the Emperor sequel that never was.  This might even necessitate the creation of a new sub-board for the new game, not to mention the conversation that will come as a result of the new movie.  New members will join, and an entirely new generation of Dune gaming fans will revitalise the forums.

Time will bring these forums back to life of its own accord... as long as the movie is good. :P

Yeah, EA are the big, bad games company that go around eating every good developer in existence.  Om nom nom Westwood nom nom Bullfrog nom nom Ubisoft nom nom Mythic.  But don't let that put you off buying a game they create if it turns out to be good.  I've bought several over the last couple of years, some even with the crappy DRM / limited activations nonsense, because underneath the money-grabbing was a good game.

EA are too big to be effectively boycotted, and the only person you hurt by turning down a good game is yourself.  If a Dune RTS comes out, I'll be getting it - it might be supporting EA, but it's also supporting Dune.  And remember, Emperor was an EA game, too - they just hadn't dropped the Westwood name yet.

Now, I'm still hoping EA will keep up the tradition that every Red Alert RTS has to be followed by a Dune RTS. After all, they did preserve the tradition of making a Red Alert RTS right after a Tiberium RTS, using the same engine.

On another note, we have 870 posts this month already, and it's only the 18th! It looks like we might be getting over 1000 posts this month for the first time since the end of Dunenewt's Revolution. :)

I've never had a problem with EA eating developers, because that's what most big companies do. C&C Generals left me with a pretty bad impression and I've always been given the impression that they make a bunch of very expensive games (compared with others) for what they are, with games more or less unfinished and requiring an expansion (which comes very quickly) to "complete" it.

I've been playing more games recently by Relic Entertainment, but even these guys are starting to fall into the same problem. Oh well, that's partly why I'm not getting Dawn of War 2 (even if it's supporting the Warhammer 40k series) because the beta put me off.

Back to the topic (I think): 870 posts? Do deleted and dungeoned posts count? :P