what hardware are you going to buy in 2005...?

veK

I just finished my small plan for this year what things I need money for. I want to move to another flat soon, want to save some money for december (to go on vacation during the christmas time) and there are a lot other things I need to save money for. I'm also going to invest into some new pc stuff and would like to know what things you are going to buy new in 2005. a new CPU, a new mainboard, a new GPU or everything?

this is what I am going to buy and build into my pc:

1.) a new GPU - definitely a GeForce 6800GT or Ultra. they aren't available in stores right now (a lot of delivery problems I guess... they can't produce fast enough because of the fast GDDR3 memory. if I am going for the GT version I have to buy it from Pine XFX or Gainward as these are currently the only manufacturers who provide a GT version with 2xDVI - if I go for the Ultra it doesn't matter that much... maybe the MSN card then, because it isn't as expensive as the others but is still on the same quality level.

2.) after the GPU I'll have to buy some new things for my new flat and after that I'm going for a big tower because my miditower (which is only 3 months young) is too small for my plans... I'm going to build a new watercooling system in it which will cost about 500 EUR because this time I only want to build in high quality products and also include HDD cooling, GPU cooling and not only the CPU... so this will be a lot of work then but it's worth it... quite and very cool. I cannot overclock my CPU anymore because of a heat problem :(

3.) last but not least I'm going for another one of these fantastic 20" DELL TFTs. I already bought one of them last year but now they "only" cost 650 EUR (half the price of last year). I'm going to buy this second TFT maybe in the fourth quarter of the year. It will be great to work on two big screens in photoshop and other programms so I will definitely buy another one of them...

so what about you? what are you plans for upgrading your hardware in 2005?

I intend to buy another hard drive for my PC.  It's already got a 40GB one, but that has been almost totally filled with my vast array of games.  I can't have them all installed at the same time, which really ticks me off.

I'll remedy this by getting me a shiny new 40 or 80GB HDD, depending on how much money I have to burn at the time.  Being at Uni is expensive, though, so it will most probably be the former.  But then again, another 40 Gigs is still twice my current capacity, so it's all good in the end. :)

yes this sound logical...

I did the same thing last year. had to buy a new board and new memory because I bought a new cpu...

so what about all the other people around here: isn't anybody else planning to upgrade their pcs?

yeas they are great. I'll get one myself next month. I didn't list it because I don't buy it for myself, I get it at the office combined with a dockin-station so I can use it on a big screen at the office but also cary it around and use it at any other places...

:)

I got myself a new motherboard (Gigabyte 8VM-800 RZ), 2.66 MHz Celeron D cpu and 512Mb PC400 DDR memory for Xmas.

:(

Then upgrading all this using Win ME and my Leadtek 8x AGP GeForce 4 440 MX gpu sent my EBFD into oblivion!

;D

I have now worked out EBFD is ok, it just must now run at very low resolution as the 440 card cant cope with the speed of the new system!

....and so finally getting to what I want to buy - a new graphics card, probably a FX5700LE as AGP cards are down to

GPU arrived today, but I had to sent it back without even getting it, because it's the wrong one with only 1xDVI ... but I ordered the right one and it should be here tomorrow or on friday... so I'll have a great weekend without any contact to any human being (except if it's online)  ;D