Site Updates

Gobalopper

That's not terribly impressive, now is it...

Under matters board-related: Had an issue with double posting of a comment on someone's profile page. (I reposted it because it wasn't showing up, but it turned out it had gone through.)

On the shores of Glitchy-gloomy...

I've just updated the forum software to a newer version, nothing major just 3.1.2 to 3.1.4. I've also bumped up the memory on our VPS to 500MB so hopefully that helps some with page load speeds. More stuff over the next week or so.

And athanasios why do you need NoScript enabled for this site?

I've just updated the forum software to a newer version, nothing major just 3.1.2 to 3.1.4.

Gobalopper, I can't see how this has anything to do with the update, but for the last day or two the login pop-up has been giving me this error:

[#10193] We encountered a problem processing your login request. Please try again.

If I click the "Click here to login" link, Safari fills in my user name and password and the login proceeds with no problem.

The first time it happened, I figured I'd mistyped my password or something (the values don't fill in automatically in the pop-up window), but after five or six times now, I'm thinking it's something else.

Just to let you know!

Gobalopper, I can't see how this has anything to do with the update, but for the last day or two the login pop-up has been giving me this error:

If I click the "Click here to login" link, Safari fills in my user name and password and the login proceeds with no problem.

The first time it happened, I figured I'd mistyped my password or something (the values don't fill in automatically in the pop-up window), but after five or six times now, I'm thinking it's something else.

Just to let you know!

I'm having exactly the same problem. Well, it's not really that much of a problem. Just something annoying.

Ok, I've fixed the sign-in problem. I found a way to prevent the pop-up box which I remember most people saying they found annoying anyway.

Dragoon do you mean using [ colour ]? I think I've fixed that too.

btw, has anyone noticed speed differences the last few days? I'm thinking I may need to switch to a dedicated MySQL server as I'm guessing that is where the current bottleneck is.

[colour=#005FFF]Yeah, that's what I was on about. Testing it out in this post, will preview now to see if it's working again.

It is indeed! Splendid. :)

As for the speed increases, I've not noticed anything different. Every time I want to do something - whether it be check all unread content, or simply reply to a thread - things take quite a while. On the old SMF boards, there was always a message at the bottom of the screen that let you know how long it took to load the page. While that's gone now, I can take an educated guess at it being much, much longer.

For example, when I reply to a thread, the icons for Bold, Italic, Smilies and whatnot; they load afresh every time. There's no local caching from what I can see. It's as if every page I load in FED2k has an automatic Ctrl + F5 applied to it before it shows. In reality, I know that some of the content is saved (most of the stuff on the main page is stored locally once loaded for the first time), but when you ask the forum to do anything that requires thought, it slows to a crawl. I'm no expert in forum software, so I have no idea where the bottleneck would be, but something is taking too long. The sluggishness combined with the extra clutter / unused space is only making the overall impression of the site that of pained torpor.

Gah, just previewed my reply again before posting - took a good nine seconds to load. :(

EDIT: 12 seconds to post, 4 seconds to load up this edit pane.

EDIT 2: 15 seconds to apply the edit. cry.gif[/colour]

Ok, I've fixed the sign-in problem. I found a way to prevent the pop-up box which I remember most people saying they found annoying anyway.

Yea! Thanks!

btw, has anyone noticed speed differences the last few days? I'm thinking I may need to switch to a dedicated MySQL server as I'm guessing that is where the current bottleneck is.

I've noticed it being a little slow, but I'm on an ISDN line at home.

(I noticed in the Safari Activity listing that there are two GIFs in the custom theme (border_left and border_right) that are 209 KB each ... and all they are is solid black stripes. I'm assuming they get cached after the initial load, but they probably slow things down when you first come to the site again after a few days. Probably not even a hiccup for someone with really fast access.)

I've found the configuration option to enable the page load times, for the server processing side, and how many queries it did. If you do notice long load times take a look at that and see if it is really high. Dreamhost does offer a one week trial of the VPS service for MySQL servers so I might give it a go if the load times are getting really bad.

I've just noticed that my moderator's rights for both Dune II and Dune Editing boards are no longer in effect. Moreover, I was unable to edit my own locked topic (this one), because I locked it while still in moderator's status, and the forum software thinks a moderator locked my topic and I can't edit it anymore :( Please fix that!

• Upvote 1

I unlocked your sticky thread, so you can edit it.

Don't think I can do anything about mod status for those boards.

At the bottom of Dune II board, it says "Forum Led By" and your name appears. Not sure what that means.

On another subject.

Go to members area.

http://forum.dune2k.com/index.php?/members/

First two members have no posts, but had time to upload pictures of themselves? And joined the same day? and do not follow the alpha/numeric sorting? ??

I unlocked your sticky thread, so you can edit it.

Don't think I can do anything about mod status for those boards.

At the bottom of Dune II board, it says "Forum Led By" and your name appears. Not sure what that means.

Does it work now? I had to update permissions as I'm guessing they didn't survive the conversion from SMF.

Thanks guys, everything works just fine now :D

• 4 weeks later...

It's the eye from Dune 2000.

Thanks, wasn't sure if it was an occult symbol.

Maybe some settings in your browser/different browser?

Regarding browsers, I found that using the Opera web browser eliminates the eye in the web address bar. For the Firefox web browser, an add on called Hide Favicons eliminates the eye entirely.