IG Shutdown

Gobalopper

Just received word from a friend that Intelligent Games was closed last week. If you didn't already know IG were the people behind both Dune 2000 and Emperor, doing a large portion of the programming for both games.

They were a great help to the editing community of both Dune 2000 and Emperor, even if you never heard about it, and I would like to thank them for their support over the years. Without them we would probably never have had a map editor for Dune 2000 or even came close to figuring out the basics of the XBF format of Emperor.

After the closure of Cryonetworks and now IG you have to wonder if there is a curse for creating Dune games...

That's depressing. It's not right that the people who created these great dune games get so little respect, and they can just have there jobs taken from them. They continued dune, they are second only to Frank Herbert. Wothout them none of us would probably be here.

This may sound harsh but the closure of IG doesn't seem too important to me. Those guys are here in london where they won't be out of work for long. As for their company's involvement in Dune games -> i suspect most of what they did was just following westwood's orders. It would have been better if just westwood had done Dune2000 and Emperor because in my experience all their titles are made with easy modding in mind. And i never thought i would say anything good about American games companies again. Not after seeing first hand how EA seem to control all game review sites. i'm never going to buy another bloodsucking EA game again... even if it is Dune based. >:(

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm there is not a curse on Dune games. It's just that most people prefer C&C like universes over the desert like dune universe.

It is not that hard to understand. I can even imagine why they don't like it. I mean reading the book dune is kinda depressing. Dune games are a bit more active and a bit more commercial. But still ppl will prefer fantasy and c&c like universes