Chris on Ladders

Gobalopper

I had a chance to talk with Chris Rubyor of Westwood about whether or not the change of not having an official ladder in Generals would effect Emperor. Our conversation went a little like this:

Gobalopper: Hey Chris, I was wondering if the older ladders would be changing or is it just Generals that will use the new style?

Chris Rubyor: Generals forward

Gobalopper: So the old ladders will just continue on as they are? Or will they eventually be phased out?

Chris Rubyor: Phased out more than likely

Keep in mind the ladders are not the same thing as Westwood Online, they would still allow you to play online there just wouldn't be any official ladders. Not that they really matter much anymore seeing how there are about 300 people on the Emperor ladder and only 100 for Dune 2000. Which is sad when you consider there are more people playing C&C Gold and that game was released 4 years before Emperor.

Oh and the good news? He said the next Dune game was coming in about 10 years. :)

No Ladders means there is *no* point in playing Emperor online.

Phased out? What???!!! If they Phase Out the Emperor Ladders they won't be able to bombard everyone with Ads for things like "A Introductory Guide to a Boy's Body" (I kid you not, there was an Ad like that on the Emperor Ladder page shortly after they started putting Ads on the Ladder page! That's not the exact title, but it's very close to that... someone on the Emperor Board probably knows the exact title) ::)

Can you move this thread to the Emperor Forum? I think those guys should see this.

Well its not a surprise they are stopping the ladder. I am sure it cost them money to keep it open, and it prob takes up space on their server. Dont forget they have earth far and beond, and generals being released, both games are expected to have large online communities so they need the spece for maybe.

here is my theory on the 10 year thing:

WW and/or EA hold the Intellectual Property rights to Dune games.

The WW guy forsaw that due to Westwood's complete disregard for Customer Care or Support, Westwood and/or EA is a sinking ship that's gonna definitely have sunk within 10 years (but I'll keep my fingers crossed that it happens even sooner), therefore, at such time as WW/EA is snuffed out, the Intellectual Property rights to Dune games will become available to other developers.

(note: this theory may be slightly misinformed, I don't know what rights Cyro had or if they shared rights jointly with WW/EA, but this is the best theory I can come up with based on the info I know)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question to gob

If you just chat with them why dont you tell them how there customers feel and the problems with WW. If you have then why would you even want to talk to someone like that, who screws everyone over with their product. Also, if you have talked about that with chris or whoever then what did they say?

Cuz i dont see how they can go on if you they actually have knowledge of how there customers hate WW support and service. I mean *if* fed2k sucked and you knew about it wouldnt you try to fix the problems?

Because Chris isn't the person who could change stuff like that especially now a year after the game was released. I rarely talk to him it was Cliff who I talked to most often but he doesn't work there anymore.

And its not like I never tried. I was told Emperor wasn't making them enough money so they didn't support it for very long.

Well see I don't have any knowledge about anything having to do with WW really. I was just asking cause i know you do. BTW, did they actually KNOW how much we hate WW, with a burning passion you know. If so, how did he/them respond to knowing that