Religion

Guest Axissillian Again!

Ok Ordos... you may be studying them in History... but you were obvious not paying attention

The Byzantine Empire started out under the influence of the Roman Catholic Church however the debate between the Iconoclasts and the Church cause the Byzantine Empire to be declared "heretics".  From that point the religion split and the Byzantine Empire formed the Eastern Orthodox Religion for themselves.

Let that be a lesson to Edric and Ordos... do not mess with an AP history student...

Well I do pay some attention, under stress frome exams.  Iconoclasts wanted to stop the worship of icons (statues and pics and etc.) and they did.  Until the Council of Nicea wished to reinstate them and they did.  Pointless to argue with a history freak like myself.

Guest Axissillian Again!

Have you ever considered that maybe the Eastern Orthodox religion was formed AFTER the Council of Nicea?

Maybe I am a realigious zealot.  So what?  At least I have something to believe in!

Anyway, the thinks that I have read above have amused me and saddened me.  

On the Lord of the Rings thing, I believe that is ok if I read on those things as long as it doesn't delude my inteligence enough to start believing in it.  I don't believe that for the gold ring I am wearing, I will have to travel to Mount Fuji in Japan and throw it in.  I don't believe that I will have eight companions, one of which is very cool, and one will die battling orcs.  I also don't believe that I will be recieving a notice that I am a witch {no offence Wiccans (though I don't agree and I find it disgusting)} and will be going to the best witchcraft school in England.

The only thing that we know about heaven is that you will be eternally happy.  That's it!  We don't know if we will lose our free will or not!

Pan

NOw I get to join... ;D

I have no real opinion on religion. I am Cristian but disagree with some cristian beliefs. I believe there is one god with many deciples or many forms(coincides with most religions ex. hiddu 1 god but many forms)

Oh ok I have read through some of the posts and have one thing to say(Gob excuse the all caps) RELIGION IS FOR PEOPLE WHO NEED SOMETHING TO BELIVE IN!!!!!!

I for one do not go to church. Will I go to Hell? No, unless god(general name for the man up stairs) is a haughty old person who wants total worship, and wont except other variations of his religion. anywho thats my 2 cents.

Beliefs, faith, religion and mankind. Creation or evolution, heaven or hell, right or wrong, forwards or backwards, Eastern or Western. Some of you do not want the truth. FACT: there are microrganisms older than man. FACT: no one really knows how the universe was created there is what we call speculation. And those are two facts now a challenge to anyone who has posted here to prove this fact wrong. FACT: man did not create himself and I dare one of you to prove me wrong.

>Usul, Usul, UsulSK........then read again what I wrote

>and you will see that you are wrong in your

>assumption. He who choses to be ignorant will be, he

>who choses to know will know but he who choses to

>understand what he knows will be wise.

Well, from my atheist point of view I CHOOSE to understand, since I try to explain everything with logic!

> In matters of right and wrong understanding is

>needed to know right and or to correct wrong you >must first understand why it is wrong to begin with. In

>trying to be right you maybe wrong sometimes learn

>from your wrong and correct it to be right.

Which post are you referring to?

>Now pull up your pants and quit showing your arse,

>because you are wrong about me.

No insults please, I dont want to start with that.

>Beliefs, faith, religion and mankind. Creation or >evolution, heaven or hell, right or wrong, forwards or >backwards, Eastern or Western. Some of you do not

>want the truth. FACT: there are microrganisms older >than man. FACT: no one really knows how the

>universe was created there is what we call

>speculation. And those are two facts now a challenge

>to anyone who has posted here to prove this fact

>wrong.

Thats the essence of a discussion:

Usul that is why you should not have replied to my post in the first place. You have not a understanding of me and why should you I am egotisical, arrogant and illogical, I have trouble spelling simple words, I insult people and most of all I think I know right better than anyone else here and I think I should be your leader. Why would you even waste time repling to any of my posts, why would you waste time with someone like me whom you don't know what he's talking about. I'm drinking from my own concoction of dictatorial dilemma that sometimes leaves me dilapidated with delusions of grandeur. And while I have delved, I have been deluded and my whole deliberation has been in despair. That is my only delineation of the subject. Therefore this must be my guilt Capt. Bligh sir.

*ties his own blindfold and walks off the plank*

"As far as the additional sentence"...

That was not what you wanted to say, but what *I* wanted to say.

And to your last post, Fed, if you're being sarcastic and annoyed, calm down. Else disregard if I have misunderstood.

"you may build up an immunity to CHristian beliefs". Problem is that while you might many don't (evidence being the number of christians in the world).

"you have apologise and ask for forgiveness of your sins" and yoshi's stuff about contradictions:

You misunderstand my quoting of Fed, and who says Atheists can't ask forgiveness. Difference is, they must ask to be forgiven by the people they have offended. Surely that is better than asking their invsible friend that they call God - Yoshi said: "being that athiests do not accept god, they cannot ask him for forgiveness". What on earth (or anywhere else) has God got to do with forgiveness?

"$126,000 to protect them from the mob of angry citizens"

I was referring to the KKK as it was and to an extent still is (I'm not an expert, but...) - when they were the mob and no-one would pay tuppence for the protection of the black people they were lynching.

I came upon some known paradoxes of the Bible:

"And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that is was good. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness..." (Genesis 1:25-26)

"And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air..." (Genesis 2:18-19)

Man before beast, and then man after beast. Anyone want to clarify this?

Also there is a published book about instances of paradoxes and such: "The Bible Handbook for Free-Thinkers and Inquiring Christians," edited by G. W. Foote and W. P. Ball (Pioneer Press, London)

And there are verses in which state that God allows and encourages violence upon slaves. Some loving 'God'?

"And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free: Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever." (Exodus 21:5-6)

I posted this to see what  the pro-God people will blindly say to this  ::)

What sort of context would being violent against slaves and allowing them be made a different understanding to it? And not taken literally? So I guess the Christians, etc,  are allowed to take for fun that there is only one God? Even verses about bashing children against rocks were admitted by Churches throughout Europe being embarrassing.

Well, let's see hmm, u never heard of summoning animals for help?  Already there, they were.  THe man being created to help the man was a woman.  Also sorry if I tohught you said magic it must have been someone else.

The bible was written in a time when things we consider wrong today were not considered against the law then. It was also written by a number of different people so of course there are bound to be some contradictions or even mistakes. And as Nema mentioned there are bound to be translation errors as well as the people translating it making their own changes. What are you trying to say by pointing out errors?

The rest of the bible doesn't become worthless because of a contradiction.

With people posting bible verses that 'help' their argument, I just wanted to show them that the Bible isn't flawless, and they should be careful when they read it. And the people that wrote the Bible obviously were not getting everything from God, or it would be flawless. So if that is so, wouldn't you think some parts are biased, or in the views of the writers and not God Himself? Thus, the Bible might be saying one thing and God wills another way. And who is to know which parts are or aren't? Correct me if I am wrong so that people won't get the wrong idea. And thanks again for switching post count Gob :)

"As far as the additional sentence"...

That was not what you wanted to say, but what *I* wanted to say.

::) Well if you wanted to say that why add it to mine, it does not fit I have already told you that once. Your statement does not belong in that paragraph. That was a very good saying until you came along (like you always do) and tried to add your two bits. Well I do not want or need your two damn bits. You liked what I said so much that you had to try and steal it for yourself but the people will know that you are not that original they will know that it came from me. How are you going to add water colors to an oil painting? The nerve of some people but what *I* wanted to say. Who asked you in the first place? Why won't you stop replying to my posts your wasting your time. I do not want to talk to you isn't it that simple to you, you could have a better conversation in a vaccum than you could with me.  

Acriku, you did bring up some good points. God did not write the Bible, man did. And man IS a biased being, humans have the choice of opinion and etc (unless you live a extremely fundementalist nation) and therefore will express differently on different things. The Bible is one those things. The people who wrote it obviously had the self-proclaimed power to put whatever they saw fit into it. So they did add their own intrepetations into the Bible as the saw fit. (the same applies to other holy writings, like the Qu'ran). And to see which ones are misinterpreted, well that lies on one's personal ideals. If one sees that owning slaves of a lesser race is ok and justified, then thats what the Bible says, but everyone knows that isnt right, so its kinda put to moot isnt it?