Religion

Uh....umm...errrr....yeah. First and foremost, Loki please take time to type! No one understands you! Also, your friend us a Jehova Witness, and never listen to a Jehova Witness because they are crazy. Next, the Holocaust ended, right? Not all the Jews died, in fact many (not in Europe) did survive. Now what does the Holocaust have to do with God? People die every day, moreso than in the Holocaust. Who ever said that God had to stop suffering? I doubt God gives free rides to heaven, like everything, one must work for that bus ticket to the great beyond.

UsulSK, you are obviously ignorant of what beliefs ARE if you say that they "tell us what to think". They are OUR beliefs, OUR thoughts, not someone else's! Nobody tells us what to think, except ourselves. That's what I meant when I talked about the clergy. You don't have to listen to anyone to be a christian!

Not believing in anything is easy. You just do what you please. You set your own moral standards to suit your needs. And I haven't seen many people who questioned their beliefs/non-beliefs. Atheists don't do any more questioning than believers.

I was an atheist once, so I do know your general view of the world. I know a lot from first-hand experience. You believe in materialism. You don't think there is any higher power. There's only mankind, perhaps some aliens. Everything can be explained by materialistic science (not that it has been explained, but it will). The Universe is a perfect machine, nothing special. Nice and cozy.

That is you view. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Exactly.  Now we are getting near the truth.  As philosophers know, Kant already prooved that it is impossible to prove anything for humankind, since we can only think in categories.  Therefore all theories like god are just an axiom and are a subject to belief.

This time I agree 100%. Nothing can be really proven. This includes God... and also your evolutionary theory and every other *answer* that science has ever found!

So whether you like it or not, you must accept SOMETHING based only on belief.

Acriku, I think God is outside of time because He can see the future. Isn't that logical? Also, He created the Universe, therefore He created time. So He must be "outside" of it.

The Bible doesn't say it, but it doesn't say the contrary either. And it gives clues that God is indeed the master of time and not vice versa.

As for cloning, do you really know what it's all about? We're not creating ANYTHING, much less life. We're just messing around with it.

Edric: We ARE making life, just because it doesn't have a so-called "soul" doesn't mean it isn't life.

Also, there is basically nothing logical about God. The fact that He is outside of Time is your interpretation of the Bible. That's good if I had your views. Can you not make jello and swim in it? You can see across to one end of the jello and to the other. One path is set, the other is forming. A continuous flow of jello. (The jello must flow...sorry I had to say it).

"Not believing in anything is easy. You just do what you please. You set your own moral standards to suit your needs. And I haven't seen many people who questioned their beliefs/non-beliefs. Atheists don't do any more questioning than believers. "

Now you're starting to annoy me. I question every single day - but I question all sides, atheism, religion, whatever - when new information comes to hand, I see if it has any effect on either standing.

And my moral code does not differ greatly from a religious person - that's silly - religion has not got a monopoly on morality, nor does atheism have a monopoly on immorality. And atheists and agnostics differ in that an atheist believes in an absence, whereas an agnostic simply doesn't believe; agnstic - lit: "not knowing". DON'T confuse the two.

"Nobody tells us what to think, except ourselves"

What are preachers? What are missionaries? Note that VERY few atheist versions exist (I've heard of none, but met lots of religious ones).

"I know a lot from first-hand experience. You believe in materialism"

That's like saying I was a christian once, so I know what islam's all about. You are generalising far too much. YOU believed in materialism, I don't and I know many others who don't.

Oh... and you may need to define life from your view. Mine is the seven tests.

>I was an atheist once, so I do know your general view

>of the world. I know a lot from first-hand experience.

>You believe in materialism. You don't think there is any

>higher power. There's only mankind, perhaps some

>aliens. Everything can be explained by materialistic

>science (not that it has been explained, but it will). The

>Universe is a perfect machine, nothing special. Nice

>and cozy.

>That is you view. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll do.

"Emmanuel Kant, Descartes or people who turned from one religion to another, for example"

Philosophers who actually though about it, perhaps, but not the majority of non-agnostics on a day - to - day basis.

And as to questioning the bible, that is so that it will not be challenged. Like the Nazis did.

Oh, and I'm a devout atheist.

Like i said in the other Tread, I believe in both... I believe things can be explained in Scientific way, Some things cant be explained by a machine or with Super Knowledge. God cant never be proved by science.. Simply never.... I visited the church and they sayed God can only be seen by the Spiritual eye. and i tell you this. I believe in both "Science and god"

One Small thing of the "Cloning"

Sure if a lifeform gets cloned it lives. But it doesnt have memories. People that are born has a mother and father and Has experienced the things that he has gone true, Learned how to walk... Learned how to eat etc.

My opinion about cloning is this   "Its sick"

lets say that Acriku was cloned and his other self was walking around while the infant Acriku sits around watching stuff who would have momeries the other Acriku or the clone which might be eating trash and other stuff like worms and spiders while Acriku self is at home or where ever he is maybe in the dump or something

lets say that Acriku was cloned and his other self was walking around while the infant Acriku sits around watching stuff who would have momeries the other Acriku or the clone which might be eating trash and other stuff like worms and spiders while Acriku self is at home or where ever he is maybe in the dump or something

Say that in a clearer (if possible) way please? English pigdog!

I think you guys are confused. he was saying it would not have the memorys of the thing it was cloned from. it would think as a seperate entity. and cloning is not creating life, it is merely propogating it, like you take a branch of a plant and if you grow it well, it will become a different independant plant. actually, a better example would be splicing an apple tree branch onto a maple tree.

and christians very much so have their own free will.

how else would they join christianity or leave it??

and those guys most likely became too obsessaed with having to have everythiung explained that they couldnt cope with what they cannot know completely.

and using nazis is a bad example.

they did not question anything, they simply wanted to rewrite history to their liking,so they burned all books. unless you think they were questioning the solidity of moby dick and great expectations, not to mention black beauty, the most contreversial belief of them all!!!    :O

plus, the nazis also killed thousands of jews for their beliefs.  maybe they were questioning the solidity of the fact that jews existed, so they burned them. oh exuse me, gassed. ::)