Most over rated games ever

Sneakgab

I for one have become sufficiently annoyed with this state that took it upon myself to create said thread.

My list, whose contents I may indivually elaborate on given the time and energy:

Oblivion: Seems like a prettier morrowind with generally less freedom and similarly downgraded gameplay.

Rise of nations: Another rock-paper-scissors waste of time affair... ''yay''. Maybe such a concept was passable back in the days of age of empires (though I didn't like it much even back then) but nowadays it's nothing new and is most cases is simply stupid. Seemed much like a downgraded Empire Earth

Any wrestling game ever (especially PS2 titles like smackdown and ''here comes the pain'': It is a mystery to me why people (such as my older brothers) would continue purchasing every title in said series, despite no obvious improvement between each in the series (which is saying much, or perhaps little, considering the pathetic first game)

Well, that's enough for tonights bothered rant.

Half-Life 2: the most overhyped game ever. It had such good ratings everywhere and some even before actually being published and it was just an average game. It kinda bored me and though I don't like Half Life at all it wasn't bad, but just not as good and astonishing as every magazine would tell.

Lair: a lot of hype for this ps3 title... which ended up with really bad ratings after the release because of so many bugs and other stupid things.

NFS: I feel like every NFS title is way too over rated.

Some of the games I've been disappointed by:

* Doom 3

* Might and Magic 9

* Heroes of Might and Magic 4

* Might and Magic 8

* Oblivion (Not very, but it's mentionable)

* Almost all NFS games except the Underground ones and NFS 2. I just seem to like them.

I'll add more later.

I wonder if I'm stepping across the line by labelling the whole FF series... at the very least, from FF7 onwards. It's hyped enough. Over-hyped, I'd say.

actually I was thinking the same thing but just didn't write it. I think the whole FF series is overrated. I don't think these are bad games, it's just that they can't live up to the expectations you might have because of the media hype.

I said Mario cause it was a random thought. 

Being serious now, MGS4.  I'm sure it will be a good game when it finally gets here and it better be with all the delays its had.  But that's just it.  With each delay its popularity skyrockets.  So when it gets here it's gonna be like the game of all games or some shit.  People are either gonna be blow away by it or wonder, wtf, I had to wait all this time for nothing.

Now wait just a doggone [insert more random red-neck babble] minute!  I could understand people slagging off individual Final Fantasy games, but the series as a whole - even saying VII onwards - is unfair.

Firstly, the original three games (I - III) were basically the same.  IV was great, with the first real semblance of an appreciative storyline beside "Light Warriors, Crystals, destroy evil".  V is still the favourite of many; the Job system was genius.  VI was nothing short of the best RPG the world had seen to that day.

Now to the point of VII.  Let us first of all define "overrated":

o

While I personally do not like the FF series, I had not mentioned it to be crap. However, I do find it over-rated. Over-rating is when there is a lot of hype about something, but there are things that don't sit with you. Even something seemingly perfect can be considered over-rated. My statements are not wrong when I consider them over-rated. In fact, the fact that they're making a movie out of it shows that it is highly rated, but whether this rating is justified is what we're calling to question, which is the whole point of this topic.

As for specific details related to the games, you're entitled to your own opinions, and I have no intention to dispute that, since I don't believe you're trying to sway my opinion of the game. Your effort in defending the game is nonetheless recognised.

Actually Dragoon, that's exactly why it would be overrated to someone who didn't like playing VII. It got so much attention and hype from around the world, including a movie based on the game (which I still think is an advertisement more than anything). And the fact of the matter is, some people won't like the storyline/gameplay/mechanics of FFVII. Thus, they call it overrated.

And that's fine, if they were just talking about their own opinions.  But the opinions of the vast majority of gamers are against theirs.  It's not a marmite thing, where you either love it or hate it; nor is it an issue with an equal number of participants on each side of the debate.  FFVII is almost unanimously considered a great game, thus living up to just about every bit of hype that surrounded it.

It's difficult to find a bad review of the game, wherever you look.  All I'd like to see is for people to say things like "I admit that it was a good game, but I didn't like it."  A statement like that would seem out of context in any other topic, I agree, because it seems to be self-contradictory.  But in this thread, the acceptance of FFVII as a good game doesn't have to mean you enjoyed playing it, or that you've even played it at all - it was a great game because of the millions that played it and liked it.

Well, the FF games do generally have great storylines. However, thats about it for the most part. The fighting and levelling (which form the bulk of the ''interactive'' part of the game) are pretty poor if you ask me, especially if you're playing through you're second FF title. I suppose FF does generally live up to it's hype (kind of), since it's hype is usually regarding great graphics and storyline which the FF series does generally provide. However, the series is probably still overrated, atleast if one rates it as a great series; Despite very strong points and great elements in the FF games, they also have their terrible flaws and weakpoints.

Well... I personally don't like FF7, I just don't like the feeling of it and I also don't really like the characters as well, I liked FF8 and finished it twice so thats probably the case(I don't like the characters). Still I'm not sure if it deserves how much appraise it recieved :-... I mean FF8 didn't get as much attention as FF7.(note: my brother is SneakGab, i'm younger)

By the way I think the most over-rated games are:

Oblivion: Fun for like a day

Halo(any): Really over-rated, I don't see whats so special about it...

Kill Zone: G@y

Black: G@y

Counter Strike: MOST OVER-RATED GAME IN ETERNITY/THE UNIVERSE/THE SPACE/TIME CONTINUUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( :D :O

Even if the entire world were to think that a game were to be good, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with one person saying "I think it is over-rated, because the game does not deserve the attention and positive reviews is receives". In fact, it is exactly the situation in which your opinions are standing against that of a vast majority that you employ the term 'over-rate'.

Counter Strike: MOST OVER-RATED GAME IN ETERNITY/THE UNIVERSE/THE SPACE/TIME CONTINUUM!!!!!!! >:( :D :O

I don't think this is true. Not just because I played the game excessively in the past in leagues and lan tournaments. but the truth is: counterstrike was never hyped by the media upon it's release. there wasn't really a release after all like we know it from big games. it started out as a very small half-life mod in 1999 and only few people played the game back then. but the concept of the game was new compared to the usual deathmatch multiplayer modes. the game soon got more and more popular and at some point valve decided to take over and the mod became a standalone game which was also avaliable seperately in stores now.

now millions of people play the game and maybe some of them really "love" the game and praise it like a godlike game, but you can see the same thing with other games also. the majority just likes the game and plays it. I think counterstrike is actually the opposite of an overhyped game. it is one of THE big success-stories in gaming/online-games because it started as this tiny mod which didn't even cost money then and became one of the most famous games in the world with so many people still playing the game although it's almost 9 years old. and there was never much advertising, trailers, 9/10-stars-reviews and stuff like that on which a lot of rather poorly coded games (like a lot of the EA-stuff) depend on.

''I think counterstrike is actually the opposite of an overhyped game''

Take note that there is a difference between hyping and overating a game. It's true that counterstrike is the opposite of an overhyped game, but it is still generally over-rated (in my experience). It's not a bad game and it has it's strong points (not that I've played it much) but it also has many negative atrributes that definetely ensure that it shouldn't be as applauded as I've seen. I mean, if you think about it, the game is extremely simplistic and the graphics (admittedly unimportant in the case of a classic) are obviously and understandably dated. It seems to me that the game simply can't be rated as highly as quake 3 (for example). Though, all of this is only based on my limited experience; perhaps at higher levels the game becomes more intersting. Currently though, it pretty much seems like a competition to see who can put their cursor on their respective opponent more quickly, along with some grenade throwing.

...but it also has many negative atrributes that definetely ensure that it shouldn't be as applauded as I've seen.

the problem is: the game was great once but a lot of the developments they made over the past few years just suck. there was a time when you could strafejump and bunnyhop all along the map like in the old half life and the weapons were balanced differently and so on. there was no such silly thing like a shield or steam-logins and also some maps were way better in the old days. there were sooooooooo many changes made and everybody likes or dislikes something else about the game. some people don't kow older versions, some do. some people have been playing the game since the very beginning and ususally most of these people don't like the game like it is today. I still play the game once every 2 months or so but I liked the old versions much better. what I'm trying to say is: once you start making huge changes the game isn't the same any more and though it's the same name the game might be completely different e.g. if you stopped playing during the early beta times and started again with 1.3 or 1.6... and because of the fact that so many people play the game (or have in the past) there are so many statements that might look overrated. I know people who can tell you how much they love the game - but they refer to the beta 5.2 years ago and some of them just don't know what the game is like nowadays. some do and they say they hate the game, but loved it back then...

I myself don't know what to say about the game. I played it so much years ago and loved the tournaments, the clan challenges, the 2on2 matches (it just was and still is a great tournament game) but I didn't just stop just because I grew up and had better things to do. It was also because of some huge changes in gameplay and more and more morons playing the game - or just making insults instead of playing. So I couldn't say "I really like the game" nowadays like I could say maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Still, I like to play a few hours every few weeks/months with some old friends and we are having a great time then. But I couldn't play the game every day anymore.