Most over rated games ever

Sneakgab

yea, pOrtal looks great.  I just wish my humble Pentium IV could run that game..... :'(

Yea, I guess you could call it an extreme extension of puzzle solving games....although it's the first game I can recall seeing that involves such crazy splicing of the 3 dimensions to solve the puzzles. 

That would be sooooooo cool if Link had a portal gun in the next Zelda game......  ;D

That would be one kick ass Zelda dungeon. 8)

Portal is definitely a great game, and not at all over-hyped (I don't believe it was hyped much at all). It could certainly fit into a Zelda game; just give Link a special type of arrow (a blue arrow and an orange arrow, for each portal).  ;D Although doing portals in third-person would get a bit hairy  :O

I didn't play the game, but wasn't the whole point/coolness of the game the fact that the thought process required to solve the puzzles is beyond what most would consider straight forward?  If it was straight forward wouldn't it be boring?  but I'm a big fan of the Zelda dungeons, so I like that kind of stuff.

Are the companion cubes the metal boxes with the cute little heart on them?  I like those.  I think the pink really adds a lot of spirit to the gaming environment ::) ;)

And what's up with the pieces of cake everywhere?  any story line behind the random cake?

Yea, third person portaling would be a real pain.  Guess they'd have to expand on the 1st person camera abilities.  Link can already look around in 1st, but not move.  I wonder if that would be too weird for me to handle-using link in 1st person.  that's like putting link on a platform game...oh wait they already did that. :-  It could make for a great storyline though.  Fits right in with the T.P. game, plenty of portals there.

Do note that my mentioning of the game not being straightforward was a compliment to the game.

Read up on the game if you like spoilers. You'll realise the "significance" of the hearts on the cube.

The cake is supposedly very delicious and a reward, and the avowed aim of the game is to complete the tests so that the character could get the cake. Deadpan humour.

My bad too. To be frank is indeed indicative of a contrast.

As for the game... you're supposed to get through a series of stages involving puzzles. You will need to be creative as the entire game hinges on your employment of a 'portal gun', which is able to create a two-way portal at 2 separate points. You can get past obstacles this way by using the portal. There will be traps and obstacles that not only get in the way, they could also kill you. But the companion cube (a cube. Just a cube) could be used to help you in many wacky ways, and it's not by shooting them at the obstacles like you'd do with the 'gravity gun' from Half Life 2.

This game intrigues me, and a mention of a truly fresh game seems somehow appropriate in a thread about over-rated games in that provides an example of what games should be like.

Unfortunately though, I suppose my measly pentium and GeForce 5700 are not nearly sufficient to run it (or pretty much anything these days). :'(

WoW is so damn crappy that it didn't even occur to me to mention it. The game looks like a bad cartoon and is boring. I've played RPGs many years ago and they were much better. Also, everybody I know who started to play WoW frequently really became a real-life-loser. Fortunately some of them stopped playing the game after a (much too long) period, sold their chars on ebay and got back to life, starting to study at the university or something like that. I think the game is far more dangerous than any GTA, Manhunt or brutal FPS game. Unfortunately games are only being rated by the degree of violence, amount of blood spilled, nudity and language but not for their addictive potential  :(

You still have to give Blizzard a lot of credit for making a shitload of money with a game that bad  ;D

''Also, everybody I know who started to play WoW frequently really became a real-life-loser''

I can empathize with that. Or was it DotA that I temporarily lost my friend to? Both contributed no doubt, though, the removal of his internet capabilities via technical issues did much to fix that. :) ;D. Not to make sound WoW sound like a horror story though; Those who can control themselves need not fear I suppose.

''You still have to give Blizzard a lot of credit for making a shitload of money with a game that bad  ''

I commonly see people becoming addicted (to a degree) with somewhat cr@ppy games. I believe that these games tend to be very simplistic and shallow, allowing one to repetively repeat the monotonous tasks involved with little expenditure of mental (or other) effort. The final important remaining ingredient is a sense of achievement: A stronger character, a host of unlockable's, e.t.c. Also, I've noticed that if games have a story theme/cast (eg: DBZ, Warcraft) that players/fans enjoy this can enhance the addictive effects of a game, though this final ingredient is not neccesary and is perhaps not as significant as the others, though I have oft seen people wasting hours on cr@ppy (IMO) games such as Tenkaichi is efforts to unlock everything. (bleh, that games weakness in adictiveness comes in the eventuality that everything in the game is one day unlocked/completed. Mostly the unlockable's are cr@ppy virtually identical characters by the way)

Despite all this talk of cr@ppy games being addictive, that does not mean that all addictive games are cr@ppy, so, essentially, I'm NOT saying WoW is cr@ppy.

though I have oft seen people wasting hours on cr@ppy (IMO) games such as Tenkaichi is efforts to unlock everything. (bleh, that games weakness in adictiveness comes in the eventuality that everything in the game is one day unlocked/completed. Mostly the unlockable's are cr@ppy virtually identical characters by the way)

Its really easy to unlock everything in tenkaichi (you hate Dragonball Z... so you would think its "cr@ppy"... but not for others (not including people who hate dbz)(since sneakgab is my brother, I know how much he hates DBZ... too much).

I've seen WoW and it doesn't look fun.

Need for speed is horrible, but when I go to school, and whenever I say "Need for speed is horrible... so horrible :P" most of my friends are like "no way ???", it sucks so much balls, I played it for like two minutes and it was one of the most boring things ever.

If you can run Half Life 2, you probably can run it.

Are you talking about Portal? If you are then yes (I speak for sneakgab too).

The real fun of wow is not its content but its people. Many people play it that wouldn't play any other mmo, including many many girls. You go figure. It's more like a gigantic online chatroom than anything else.

In pretty much every raiding guild there are several love stories. It's the ultimate fantasy of the nerd, is it not, to find someone to be with and play all the time ?

And one last thing, about the comment on real life losers. When you 're in it playing 24/7, your perspective changes quite a bit. Suddenly the losers are those who work and worry about silly rl stuff. You, who can afford to play the game as much as you want and have everything you could wish for right there, are the happy person.

Yeah unreal tournaments back in Sixth Form were fun, although we were more of a CS school ;).

I'm just saying back in the day when you were either an Unreal player or a Quake player, Half-Life seemed to be a game which everyone enjoyed, and bought.

The single player was a great game, one of the classics. The multiplayer forms of Team Fortress Classic and Counter-Strike were legendary (in the amount of people playing and how modded they got). TFC was the best back in the day! Conc jumping whores  ;D