Most over rated games ever

Sneakgab

I never played CounterStrike, or any of the FF's.  I'm a big fan of several Zelda titles, played countless slayer matches on Halo1 and 2, done my fair share of Marioing.  Played probably 200+ hours of Morrowind on X Box (those save/load timeframes were cruel).  Goldeneye was my first FPS.  Starfox 64 was awesome.

But the one game I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet is  World of Warcraft.  How many people play that game online?  Like 5 million?  Jeez.

My roommate used to play a lot of that game and I know for a fact he put at least 30 days (720 hours) into one account.  (he's got three that he has regular access to.)  Now I never had an account, but I spent an hour getting a nightelf druid up to lv. 8 or 9 and that was it. never played since then.

Can anyone explain to me why 5 million+ people will pay for a game disc, then monthly fees, and then put in the 100+ hours it takes just to hit lv. 70, which is when most people claim that the game just begins there.  Then there's the raiding on top of that.  Am I the only one that thinks WOW is overated?  I can see why it's so addicting, but to me that doesn't necessarily make a great game.  It's probably the most addictive game in the world right now. 

Now, when I watch those "b" movie horror flicks, I enjoy them.  I recognize that it's not a great movie, but hey I enjoyed it.  Is that how WOW players feel about wow? cause that's my impression of the game.  Or are all WOWers sold that this is the best game in the universe?

"But the one game I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet is  World of Warcraft.   How many people play that game online?  Like 5 million?  Jeez."(Quote)

I'm not sure if you know, but 5 million isn't that great (I think?), I know this game called "Maple Story" and like... a lot of people play it, the below info indicates how many people play it (Maple Story), Note: I got this info from Wikipedia, so it is probably true.

"

Game Population (as of February 2006):[19][20]

Korea since 2002, 200 thousand subscribers (concurrent users), 14 million subscribers (total)

Japan since November 2003, 9 million subscribers

China since December 2004, 25 million subscribers

Taiwan since July 2005, 3.5 million subscribers

Thailand since August 2005, 550 thousand subscribers

South East Asia (mostly Singapore and Malaysia) since June 2005, 550 thousand subscribers

North America (Global) since May 2005, 3 million subscribers

"

And thats a lot of people!!!, also, according to Wikipedia, multiple accounts were not counted.

I haven't played WoW, but it sure doesn't sound great. :D

Heroes of might and magic 5 wasn't over-rated, it just sucks balls, that goes to the rest you listed (Battle for middle earth 2 and CnC) :D

Ahh, yes. Sorry I was a bit unclear in the last post in differentiation between popular and overrated.  Guess the two blurr together in my head.  But WOW is still--or was--rated very highly by some critics...http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/misc/awards.html  &  gamespot

Me, I play WoW for a good twelve hours a day on occasion. Is it entertaining? Yes. Is it the best game in the universe ever? Hell no.

Ok.....you are realistic. That's cool, but check out this guy......    http://youtube.com/watch?v=CXtyYiI5HDk    <<very funny, especially if you understand WOW talk.

also, according to Wikipedia, multiple accounts were not counted.

actually kirby, you should read that wiki page again (unless I've misunderstood you). I believe the article stated that it is unknown whether multiple accounts were counted or not.  Also, when comparing the two numbers you have to realize that maple leaf is a FREE registry a game.  WOW on the other hand requires a monthly FEE of 15 USD (10ish Euros).  also, I was wrong its not 5 million its 9 million subscribers.

anyway, check out that Youtube video.  it's pretty nuts.

You forgot that reviewers are paid to give games high ratings because the product is being advertised on their website.

See for example: A gamespot reviewer gave Kane and Lynch a low score of 6.0/10, and was fired for doing so. That game was being heavily advertised on gamespot website so the people who were paying to advertise didn't like the low score.

I loved windwaker! :'(  lol, no hard feelings.  I'm probably one of the few, even many zelda fans hate that game.  But if you liked the fighting engine for Twilight Princess then you should give your thanks to Windwaker, because T.P. built off of what W.W. started.  And by the way, I actually thought WW received poor reviews from critics.  Is that not the case?

..as for the spineless critics.....

Yes people  1) have their own biases

2) can be paid off

3) can submit to peer pressure

but whatever happened to the idea that a CRITIC's job is to be as OBJECTIVE as possible (which is hard enough, even when you actually try)  Don't they realize that in the end, their name and reputation is much more valuable than a paycheck from gamespot?  If a critic gains a reputation for being a pushover, then people won't take his critiques seriously (thus he may not have a job at anywhere else but Gamespot).  However, say critic gives Gamespot (or whoever) the finger....people will notice and his street cred goes way up.

Oh, in my last post I forgot to ask Dante (and any other WOWers out there), when you're not getting ganked up in the elemental plateau  whilst trying to farm for motes of air........what other video games do you normally revert back to?

also this video is hilarious.  Warning:  If the phrases "F**King emo cock sucker" or "F**k the alliance" offends you, then please reconsider clicking here>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=CXtyYiI5HDk 

I don't farm motes of air. :P

I farm motes of water.

And not on the plateau.

I go where the drop rate is better and there are fewer farmers. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

"Don't they realize that in the end, their name and reputation is much more valuable than a paycheck from gamespot?"

That depends rather heavily on where your priorities lie. Also, thinking like an employer, who are you more likely to hire: the guy who says it like it is or the guy who says it like you want him to? 'Street cred' isn't exactly a major concern in the industry.

Besides which, do reviewers even get recognition? I can't name a single one.

Ahh motes of water.  Im guessing they sell for more on your server.  You probably go to the lake north of Shattrath or the Terrokar Forest to farm those?

The altruistic side of me doesn't want you to be mostly right :'(, but since I know little of the gaming magazine industry I can neither refute nor support your claims :-.  Although I would assume that street cred is a huge concern of any critic  or journalist. If the readers don't trust them to present an honest evaluation then haven't they failed at their career (aside from corporate ass-kissing)?  Then again, who takes critics seriously these days? :-X

Who decides whether a critic gets fired, their readers or their employer?

Actually motes of fire sell for more, but they're a bugger to grind. I grind water because it's cost effective and I needed it for crafting.

Naw, there's no really good place for fire as far as I know. Not that it matters, I got what I wanted now and the netherwing rep quests are a good source of income.

But while readers do exercise indirect control over the employer, how many of them have direct say in how he runs his business? It takes an awful lot of disapproval to force someone in power to change what they're doing. Just look at the effort that has to be expended to bring about, for example, fair trade. And that's something that a lot of people care about (though I personally don't), how is a gaming reviewer going to garner that much support?

Hmm....well then I suppose a critic would require some kind of legislation to preserve his journalistic integrity from being compromised by the higher ups.  This would be very tricky to legislate, and I don't know of any laws in the U.S that function as such (although law is far from my strong point).  The unions in the past have been known to fill this void.  That would probably be the only way.  Yes, the readers would not have a direct say.  It would take unionization of critics.

actually kirby, you should read that wiki page again (unless I've misunderstood you). I believe the article stated that it is unknown whether multiple accounts were counted or not.  Also, when comparing the two numbers you have to realize that maple leaf is a FREE registry a game.  WOW on the other hand requires a monthly FEE of 15 USD (10ish Euros).  also, I was wrong its not 5 million its 9 million subscribers.

My bad, and its Maple Story, not Maple leaf. Still even if it is free, thats a really huge number of people, I mean like all of china plays it

''the problem is: the game was great once but a lot of the developments they made over the past few years just suck. there was a time when you could strafejump and bunnyhop all along the map like in the old half life and the weapons were balanced differently and so on''

Thats pretty interesting, I had no idea that counterstrike had changed much (not having played the game much). I can definetely see how some of the removed elements you mentioned would make for a better game and how some of the added elements are stupid and/or encourage stupid behaviour.

I know that back in the beta days, people did not go about abusing sniper rifles that really ruined the game for me. And bunnyhop too, irritating as it was. It was fun then, and I stopped for a good while. When I returned it was 1.6, ah well, woe is me.

''I know that back in the beta days, people did not go about abusing sniper rifles that really ruined the game for me. And bunnyhop too, irritating as it was. It was fun then, and I stopped for a good while. When I returned it was 1.6, ah well, woe is me.''

Sounds like a bunch of free modders make something great which was then taken by Valve/who ever made/owns halflife and promptly ruined it (probably in the course of commercializing it, since the masses more willingly buy games with features/elements that downgrade said games eg: making the protagonist Tony hawks/ insert famous extreme gear sportsman here)... Typical.

I don't know much about the matter, but it kind of seems like some guys made something great with counterstrike's mod system (much to Valve's surprise, since the mod system there was probably made for the fun of making mod and for making mods that could be fun for a while but not enough to become games in their right) which Valve then seized completely with the creators of counterstike receiving nothing.

Of course, that was perfectly legal due to the user consensus agreement regarding the mods (thrown in there just in case somebody makes something big:D). It just seems that Valve received additional profit on their product with zero additional input (other than making a mod system). ie: if counterstrike was not made, then Valve would have received less income and credit and so the modders should (not legally, but justly) received some (even minor compensation.

A pretty perfect example of corporate scumbagness ;D

but I digress! this is a topic for ranting about over-rated games, not for ranting Valve/anything else:D

Speaking of Valve....I've never (to my knowledge) played any of their games, but...................

My friend just showed me a game of theirs called pOrtal.  Anybody heard of it?  Anyway, he was raving about it.  He just finished the game and was showing me some cool tricks, and also some pretty cool stuff of insane gamers doing crazy things.

The RPG Zelda fan in me really loves the idea of the game.  It seems that several people are just raving into it.

What to you guys think, overrated? or a genuinely new game genre (as some people claim). 

here's a quick teaser video in case you guys haven't seen the game in action.