Why you should not fight in your underwear ("300"-related spinoff from Joke)

Edric O

Ummm, I was trying to poke fun at the movie 300... I expected that most people would have heard and seen the hype. It has Spartans fighting in their underwear (but with helmets and capes for some reason). It also has something that looks like the cave troll from Lord of the Rings, and it is overall a very, very bad movie.

P.S. Acriku, your next post will be your 10,000th! This calls for a triumphal topic. :)

Ummm, I was trying to poke fun at the movie 300... I expected that most people would have heard and seen the hype. It has Spartans fighting in their underwear (but with helmets and capes for some reason). It also has something that looks like the cave troll from Lord of the Rings, and it is overall a very, very bad movie.

You didn't like Lord of the rings movies?

P.S. Acriku, your next post will be your 10,000th! This calls for a triumphal topic. :)

I sent him a PM to tell him to make a thread. Fed2k needs a party.

Now that we've gone offtopic, I can say that I've seen the 1962 movie when we had Ancient History at school, and found it quite moving back then. Maybe I'll watch this new 300 film, but it's going to be completely different simply because it is made after a comic book ("graphic novel") by the same guy who made Sin City (can't say I disliked that one, btw), and not just a representation of the historical events per se.

What I heard about 300 and seen in trailers, I didn't like. History fascinates me, and this movie distorted almost every part of the story.

@Edric: there are records of Spartans, but also other Greeks using groups of hoplites fighting with no armour (but with shields, and presumably clothing...) so that they'd be mobile enough to catch skirmishers, so it's not as ridiculous as you think. There are also plenty of vases depicting nude hoplites, but that was almost certainly artistic licence.

Besides, there are also mentions in Polybius' writings for example of Gallic soldiers fighting completely nude as a show of bravery and intimidation.

Or maybe the enemies were republicans, and upon seeing naked men they thought they were homosexuals and they ran away fearing they might catch teh ghey.

Much like how some people wrote the FCC and complained that during the 1/2 time Super Bowl, they'er kids caught the gay watching Prince.

The Smoking Gun has the info. Some very funny reads about what some people wrote in.

Or to make the enemy piss themselves to death laughing  ;)

I wouldn't be laughing:

they were terrified by the fine order of the Celtic host and the dreadful din, for there were innumerable horn-blowers and trumpeters, and, as the whole army were shouting their war-cries at the same time, there was such a tumult of sound that it seemed that not only the trumpets and the soldiers but all the country round had got a voice and caught up the cry. Very terrifying too were the appearance and the gestures of the naked warriors in front, all in the prime of life, and finely built men, and all in the leading companies richly adorned with gold torques and armlets.

I wouldn't be laughing:

I was thinking of using pathetic weak feeble men, that would make the enemy die laughing.

If they used women it would be interesting (anything with women is interesting :P) as the enemy wouldnt know whether to fight them or...

What I heard about 300 and seen in trailers, I didn't like. History fascinates me, and this movie distorted almost every part of the story.

@Edric: there are records of Spartans, but also other Greeks using groups of hoplites fighting with no armour (but with shields, and presumably clothing...) so that they'd be mobile enough to catch skirmishers, so it's not as ridiculous as you think. There are also plenty of vases depicting nude hoplites, but that was almost certainly artistic licence.

Besides, there are also mentions in Polybius' writings for example of Gallic soldiers fighting completely nude as a show of bravery and intimidation.

300 is entirely based on a comic book by Frank Miller. I don't see why it would distort the story when the book 300 is just barely based on real happenings itself.

I don't know if sword-handed trolls, ninja Spartans, cataphract-rhinos or Persians who look like sub-saharan Africans (admittedly, I was getting tired of the Arabic-looking stereotypes) were in the comic book, but if so I don't think I'd like the comic either.

Happy?

It is funny that the comic book didn't cause such a hoo-ha and no one is directing any fury at frank miller for writing such 'trash'. Anyway it isn't supposed to be 'real' its a fantastical interpretation of a true story.

It is funny that the comic book didn't cause such a hoo-ha and no one is directing any fury at frank miller for writing such 'trash'. Anyway it isn't supposed to be 'real' its a fantastical interpretation of a true story.

well, USA were selling F-14s to Iran in the times when that comix was drawn  ;D  you know, Kissinger seemed to be a better diplomat when concerning middle east than Rice, but that would be a debate for another board...

I enjoyed the part in the movie (you know, the one where it looked like they went over every digitialized pixel of every frame for touchup and special effects reasons, which mind you were *mostly* well done) where we got to see the Queen of Sparta's smallpox vacination scar. Her very very obvious scar.

Sparta was a healthy land...