North Korea Issues

Didn't think I would continue from North Korea Admits to having Nukes.

So north Korea admits to having nukes and defending itself with nukes, and today it launched 3 missles, one being an intercontenental missle.

CNN:  U.S. officials: North Korea tests long-range missile

So...

Sounds dangerous, but it would be suicide for them to launch anything at anyone (unless they can successfully send hundreds of them to different locations).

I think I will be more worried about them in 5 years.

NK admits to having WMD, tests intercontenental missles. I think the US invaded the wrong country.

EDIT: Turns out there were at least 5 missiles fired.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you forgetting about 1945, end of WWII?  U.S. dropped Little Boy and Fat Man on Hiroshima and Nagasaki respectively.  Isn't it ironic that we(U.S.) tend to panic when anyone else gets nuclear weapons, yet we're the only maniacs who've actually used them in wartime?  Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer that no country had them.  I just find our attitude on WMD to be a little condescending and hypocritical at times.

Even a global nuclear war is never going to eradicate humanity (don't get your hopes up Dante ;))

Small amounts of (high placed) people will survive in bunkers, and there will always be regions on Earth not worth nuking and with only moderate fallout. Lots of people will die early of cancer and there will be lots of genetic defects, but I don't expect a nuclear war would wipe out humanity.

We would adapt, and survive. The individuals with cellular structures more resistent to radiation would have a better chance at survival, etc. It might even only take us another hundred years to get back to an information age level of technology.

Are you forgetting about 1945, end of WWII?  U.S. dropped Little Boy and Fat Man on Hiroshima and Nagasaki respectively.  Isn't it ironic that we(U.S.) tend to panic when anyone else gets nuclear weapons, yet we're the only maniacs who've actually used them in wartime?  Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer that no country had them.  I just find our attitude on WMD to be a little condescending and hypocritical at times.

We didn't know the long-term affects of dropping the bomb. That and the fact the invasion of Japan called for an landing force of 1.3 million.

So now that we do, no-no to Mr. Bomb.

And besides, when we dropped it we were the only ones who actually had it (though notably the Germans were close, as were the Russians who would have theirs in either 1947, or '48 to my recollection).

I respect the chinese for trying to get out from earth as fast as possible. Theya at least have a plan for space exploration. You might think this is off-topic, but if I were leading a country in his world where everyone is trying to get a nuke, I'd try to get the hell outta here ASAP.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, not even really a nuke.

Our bombs dropped on Japan were the equivilent of 12,000 pounds of TNT. That was 50 years ago. Theirs was 500.

Bet you even our mother of all bombs does more damage than their nuke.

Well, they have a rather limited amount of plutonium and enriched uranium, so they probably tested their smallest warhead.

The actual explosion was underground, as all sensible nuclear weapons tests should be (!)  :P

How does a country spot that from the air ? The preperation I mean ? Does the military carry a nice package with ribons on it with a big ceremony or something ? If I remember rightly, niehter India's nor Pakistan's nuke tests were detected prior to the tests.

"The U.S. Geological Survey said it recorded a seismic event with a preliminary magnitude of 4.2 in northeastern North Korea coinciding with the announced test. The Colorado-based agency was unable to tell whether the event was the result of an atomic explosion or a natural earthquake."

MSNBC.

It's kind of hard to hide seismic activity anywhere in the world. The spy-planes, i'm sure we watched it via satellite....but I mean there are just some Intel that CNN aren't gonna be able to show you as it happens. But i'm sure we and others did in one way or another.