Iran Issues

Well, I have some info from the Swedish newspaper DN (Dagens Nyheter - Today's News) on Iran. Nothing drastic, but:

* Ahmadinejad has travelled to Syria to secure his allies with Bashar Assad (Syria's president), and he has also met with Moqtada Sadr, the leader of Iraq's Mahdi-militia, who in turn said that he will help Iran if the country is attacked.

* Israel's premiere, Ehud Olmert, said they will not allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons at any cost.

* French president Jacques Chirac discussed that he would be willing to use "limited nuclear attacks" against a country that "protects terrorism and threatens vital natural resources".

* IAEA's chief Mohammed ElBaradei said that if all else fails, a military invasion is considered.

* The commander of the Revolutionary Guard, Yahya Rahim Safavi, said Iran will counter any attack with it's 2000 kilometer reach ballistic missiles.

* Safavi also accuses the US and UK of arming rebels and causing trouble in the southwestern part of Khuzestan, where most of Iran's oil is located.

That's about it... it's the press, so don't take these as the all-honest truth...

http://www.mehrnews.com/en/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsID=260851

http://www.energybulletin.net/7707.html

Iran selling oil in euros would significantly affact the value of the dollar and the US economy. I understand, from reading an article elsewhere, that Saddam was preparing to do this before the US and UK invaded. Likewise, a certain degree of hostility to Chavez may be as result of his moves to sell oil to other Latin American countries directy - without recourse to the dollar.

If only Americans shot their enemies instead of 'kicking their asses'. I thought combat had advanced since... since... well I have no idea what age the U.S. fights in. It's all very 'WWE' if you ask me, and I think Ahmadinejad is about to turn heel. :(

I prefer to console myself with the knowledge that once upon a time, our navy ruled the waves. Regarding the current situation, I don't see a way to keep everyone happy. We may be looking at another 'invade, destroy, hang around for years getting killed' scenario. I have my opinions on how it could be done better, but anyone who knows the way I think should be able to guess them.

That's just asking for trouble and enemies united against us.

Hah! Isn't that the exact situation of the world right now? With the "coalition" being in Afghanistan and Iraq, bulluing Iran and releasing the controversial cartoons, the NATO chief who wants to change NATO into a global police power (although he himself denies it)...

• 2 weeks later...

We could turn Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq into one big super state...

hmmm yes the 51st state of America.  Call it Loseagaintoamerica with its capital being New Oileans.

These countries just let themselves become targets so easily.  I suppose they are all striving to possess some sort of intimidation factor like N. Korea, Pakistan, and India.

With bases in Iraq it'll be a breeze to launch a campaign against Iran.  Heheheh.... another Iran-Iraq war except the iraqi soldiers will be US-UK this time around. Talk about history repeating itself.

And i cant believe Chirac is saying "launch zee missiles".  What happened to the frenchies' peace not war attitude.  Guess Chirac doesnt wanna risk the creation of Freedom Burgers to go with Freedom Fries.