Did Westwood make the Emperor Logos?

Navaros

I noticed that most of the Emperor logos look very crappy and unprofessional. Ie: Atreides, Hark, Fremen, Sards. Did Westwood make these?

I also notice that some of the logos look very sleek and cool, ie: Guild.

Were the cool looking ones taken from elsewhere?

Please enlighten me.

Well the Guild logo, (the three circles right?), was in the Lynch film. Most of the other logos were made by westwood, but the imagery are taken from the book, i.e. the sardaukar Golden lion, the Atreides Hawk, the Harkonnen Ram, but Westwood did screw up the colour schemes for the Harks and the Atreides. As for the Ordos and the Fremen however, the Ordos aren't in the original books so I'm not to sure about them, it may be in the DE, you would have to ask Vanguard, and I have no idea what the Fremen symbol is supposed to be.

WW used house coats of arms from the DE for DII. They coloured them in, and used, for example, the House Wallach arms for the Ordos. That is the origin of the Hawk, Ram, Snake choice.

The arms then evolved through D2000, then to Emp.

The fremen symbol in Emp is a Katar, a punch-dagger, which, in this case, is transparent. Perhaps WW thought that was what a krys looked like?

You can see a glimpse of a proto-Ixian logo in D2k - it's a black version of the present one, just visible behind Edric O. That's my theory, anyway.

Calling it House Wallach would probably lead hardcore Dune fans to believe the Bene Gesserit were somehow involved. And they probably used the Wallach symbol because they needed an animal and, although this isn't true in heraldic terms, a snake usually represents they devious nature of House Ordos.

Do note that in Emperor, the Ordos logo was changed form the Wallach logo of a serpent coiled around a book into a serpent coiled around the Ordos homeworld.

Right. I always wondered why they wouldnt just use the Ordos logo from DE, or called the new house House Wallach

The Ordos were created by Westwood, therefore there were no Ordos in DE.

so did Westwood make the Logos or not?

you guys have answered this in a very technical and jargon-oriented way and I really have no idea what the answer to my question is based on the words you've all used to answer it.

is Westwood the one who drew the Logos? or were they drawn elsewhere?

Dune 2 and Dune 2000 use the House Wallach logo from DE.

Emperor uses it's own design.

what is House Wallach? and they used that just for ONE logo, the Ordos...? where did they get the other 2 from, then?

and when you say Emperor uses it's own design...... does that include ALL logos, ie: Guild and Tlieaxu, or just SOME logos........?

the crest for house harkonnen on dune 2 came from the harkonnen crest in the DE. the Ordos came from house wallach. See, that was the house that was in control of one of the largest bene gesserit chapterhouses. This is why the snake coils around a book. It states that the book is colored blue in the DE, and blue is translated to azure, or the azure book which is the sacred book of the bene gesserit, Wallach IX is the connection here I believe. The ordo's true crest is cross bones with a reef of ivy tangled on the top of the left bone. There are also connections with emperor as well. Such as the minautarus (too lazy to find the exact spelling.lol) tank. The name comes from a name stated in the DE, which is Duke Leto's grandfather. Also with gunseng, this name also comes from the DE, which is vladimir harkonnen's father.

as you can see, westwood took a lot from the DE.lol there is more than just what I stated.

I noticed that most of the Emperor logos look very crappy and unprofessional. Ie: Atreides, Hark, Fremen, Sards. Did Westwood make these?

I also notice that some of the logos look very sleek and cool, ie: Guild.

Were the cool looking ones taken from elsewhere?

Please enlighten me.

Define "crappy and unprofessional", please. Thank You kindly in advance.

- Matthew

Atreides logo: I believe it is created by Westwood themselves. If course they copied the fact that it has to be an eagle.

Harkonnen logo: I should say they made this one themselves too, but this time it looks more like the one they copied it from. The first Harkonnen logo was presented in the Dune Encyclopedia, Gob posted a link to the picture. And Westwood colored this one red instead of blue.

Later on, another logo was presented, a Blue Griffin, but that is of no matter.

Ordos logo: Well this one is the same concept of the original, except that the everything is drawn differently. The original logo was first presented in the Dune Encyclopedia (Gob's link again) But this time they took a logo of another House instead of House Ordos (it was original of House Wallach (a House of no importance right now))

Guild logo: This is an exact duplicate of the Guild logo of the David Lynch's movie Dune.

Tleilaxu/Ix/Fremen logo: I believe Westwood made these ones themselves.

Sardaukar logo: This is the Golden Lion, the symbol of House Corrino, which is defeated in the beginning of the game. But the Sardaukar have know the House Corrino (the original Emperor's House) logo. The logo was made by Westwood, but they were inspired by many others

I acctually don't know how old it is. It is probably newer than the movie.(it is in norwegian) But I can't see why they should use something from the movie in the book. I think Herbert made that insignia

LOTR... ::) (Lord of the Rings

Lord of the Rings??

If you have read/seen Harry Potter, you will notice that some symbols are very similar to the WW`s dune.

For example the "slitherin" and the Ordos symbol (a snake with green), and Atreides with an another HP thing that I not remember..

Coincidence...?