Cheap tactics!

Ice_Cube

I could say the same about Atreides, sitting there camping in your base and building up your forces isn't fun either, i know that it's not like that, but it's about time you people realise that rushing isn't all about making alot of units and attack.

You could, but at least if YOU build up for a long time,then the other guy can also build up, making equal armies and a nice little clash bash when he attacks you.

And if rushing isn't getting alot of units and attacking, what is it?

For example, the Mino rush--Build 10 minos and rush him

The classic Ordos rush, alot of Dusties, Lasies, and Gas Troops,

And the classic Hark rush, Buzzies and Assaault tanks with some AA infantry.

Building up the units is BORING.

The battle is a little fun.

When one guy is surely going to win and the other guy has no chance, it is BORING.

Not if you have 3 Upgraded Facs and 3 Fully Uppgraded Refs.

And I meant with also those add-ons, IE Mongeese,Kindjal,Air Drones

That would take a pretty long time.

Well, now we have entered an entirily different debate... Are some strategies fun to use?

I can see that if you win every time with a simple Mino rush you won't be really happy anymore.

But even then, the funniest thing about the game is winning. It gives you a good feeling.

However, you can feel even better if you won in an original way, or in a hard battle

Well, now we have entered an entirily different debate... Are some strategies fun to use?

I can see that if you win every time with a simple Mino rush you won't be really happy anymore.

But even then, the funniest thing about the game is winning. It gives you a good feeling.

However, you can feel even better if you won in an original way, or in a hard battle

Exactly,Timenn, the only time I felt good was when I had a giant clash of my Kobras against a group of 30 Sards, mixed.

And everything else I see these days from Hark,Atr,or Ord players is RUSHING! No clashes in the open desert between large armies, no face to face infantry battles, just a giant rush and boom.

Thats it.

It makes me really sad to see what all the good emperor players have whittled down to. :'( :'( :'( :'(

It isn't that hard to mino rush in 3 minutes, though, if that single minotaur is destroyed you're practically dead, 1 lasertank/assault tank or even mongoose with sandbike (not sure about this one) is enough to destroy 1 minotaur.

• 1 month later...

actually, there are several maps on which it is utterly IMPOSSIBLE to stop the Ix of an elite player, even if you are an elite player yourself. because the time it would take to setup a proper Ix defense would not be possible to execute since you'd be otherwise-tied-up while he brings the Ix in as a backup plan

top 5 dirty, under-handed, cheap tactics, in order of their lameness and cheapness:

1. Attacking harvesting in a spice field where you *know* the enemy didn't want his harvestors to go but yet they go to anyhow due to pathfinding bugs which Westwood wanted to (and tried to yet failed) correct, before he has time to defend it.

2. Doing the above with Guild

3. Ix

4. Engineers

5. Rushing an Atreides player in the first 3 minutes, even though you know the early game units of Atreides are grossly underpowered compared to the other Houses. (but thank God, that's why Westwood made the Under 3 Rule ;D)

What is the "under 3 rule" anyway?

Under 3 rule is: quite under 3 without losing points.

But navaros is abusing the rule, the under 3 rule was originally meant to quit when the other person's connection was low and he lagged the game.

And everything else I see these days from Hark,Atr,or Ord players is RUSHING! No clashes in the open desert between large armies, no face to face infantry battles, just a giant rush and boom.

Thats it.

It makes me really sad to see what all the good emperor players have whittled down to. :'( :'( :'( :'(

I agree almost 100% with all of this, except that it's not "good" players who are doing this rushing all the time. While good players may or may not rush because they can Win either way: what you see here is as a result of virtually NO good players left on WOL, so all they ever do is rush with tier 1 units and hope their sloppy-masses happen to overpower the few early game units of the enemy. This is NOT strategy, there is no thought or micro involved whatsoever. And the newbies who Win like this against people who are too stupid and/or cowardly to quit under 3 are *not* good. They simply have no talent, skill, or conception of what an RTS is really about (diversity of strat and micro; not pressing the tier 1 buttons endlessly and pretending that makes them "good" LOL)

I always built a small army quickly. And if my opponent wasn't so smart to do the same, I rushed that person. Because I'm not going to let someone go then.

But mostly the opponent did the same. And the game continued, and then, when I won, I mostly defeated the enemy with other tactics, like dropping units in the base, sneaking in with Fedaykin, destroying the economy, or an Airstrike.

And if all those strategies are called cheap, then I can't help it. Because you must face it. No battle is won on an open field.

ok, I was playing a LAN game the other day and how is this for a cheap tactic. "A stealth engineer". I would find it hard to believe someone who does not find that a cheap tactic, if this happened on one of those levels where it is hard to cover your whole base in the first 3 minutes of the game.

Nothing's cheap excluding bugs and cheats. Some stuff reall burns you though...

I always hated losing to projectors or to engineers or something like that. Never could stand it. It almost hurt to lose to an engi drop, but boy I tell ya it sure makes you remember to defend your base well. Groups of a few measly infantry scattered here and there and engis go boom.

One thing I've never liked, though, is that you can build stuff off of walls. What's up with that? They're blocks of concrete! I liked how they were run in the other WW games. They didn't count as buildings and they'd stay after you died.

Ironically, 'cheap' tactics often have the simplest solutions. It's a great motivator to watch your opponent like a hawk.

I always hated losing to projectors or to engineers or something like that. Never could stand it. It almost hurt to lose to an engi drop, but boy I tell ya it sure makes you remember to defend your base well. Groups of a few measly infantry scattered here and there and engis go boom.

lol i hate engie drops... i had a friend who used to play and he would concentrate so much on his rush he left 0 units in his base to protect so i did an engie drop on him... he never left his base undefended again lol

I still don't understand why Atreides are weak in the beginning of the battle. Aren't Kindjal inf. and snipers enough to defend against most attacks? And Mongooses are powerful and AA so what's the problem with everyone? (or everybody, I never know whitch one is correct).

I still don't understand why Atreides are weak in the beginning of the battle. Aren't Kindjal inf. and snipers enough to defend against most attacks? And Mongooses are powerful and AA so what's the problem with everyone? (or everybody, I never know whitch one is correct).

not if you're playing someone who actually knows what he's doing. which is very rare these days on WOL. Atreides is fundamentally weaker than the other houses due to the fact that Light Inf and bikes suck and kinjal is unmanueverable. this was done for late-game balance reasons so that Emperor is balanced overall, but it results in Atreides sucking in the early game.

Aren't Kindjal inf. and snipers enough to defend against most attacks? And Mongooses are powerful and AA so what's the problem with everyone?

To problem with Kindjal is its extremely vunverable to attacks when deployed (i.e buzzsaws)

With Snipers, they can be easily over-numbered with cheaper units like light infantry.

As with mongoose, in the early games, they're too expensive and take too long to build.

I'm sure even newbies would notice these point very soon if you play on WOL.

kindjal and snipers are no match for a mino... they dont' even have the range of a mino and just lvl up the mino... making it harder to kill.. mongooses though are cheaper than minos and if there are only a few minos then mongooses would be able to take them out as well as they are good on buildings but not infantry