koran

Emperor Harkonnen

Actually, yeah, what languages has Dune been translated into? I have English and the French version of the second half. Gonna read it before my end of school french exam (shudder).

I would have thought Arabic would have a translation already - if not, Frank would have been the man to help you. Don't know if you heard this already, but before he wrote Dune, he really wanted to appreciate desertic culture so he learned Arabic. The language traces are all through the original book, like the holy war is the jihad.

One interesting thing I noticed the other day while reading the paper - Saddam's death soldiers are called Fedayeen. Paul's death soldiers are called Fedaykin. Hmmm.... strange thoughts of Saddam being the Mahdi rushing in my head ???

Hehe, Not Saddam but their was a Mahdi.

Forget the exact passege from the book but its something like this.

"Everything is in the process of creation and destruction."

Wrote the mistic bedriddin. "There is no here or here after everything in a single moment." He abbandoned a prosphers career in orthadox islam to plunge into the esoteric tumett of the boarder land, whare he became a great guru, championing the wild freedom of the frontire society and convincing many people, christians among them, that he was the mahdi, the coming of the end of the world.

[hide]

So that Ottomans who had grown imperial, hanged him from a tree in the Serres in 1416 ;)

[/hide]

Cool huh?

There was a 2nd self-proclaimed Mahdi in the late 19th century, he fought to free the sudaten lands from British control.

;D ;D ;D

Sudeten Land is where Germany took over before WW2

You mean Sudan ::)

Iblis is the person who becomes the devil acoording to Muslim belief and Shaitan is the devil

That is very correct Iblis (or Eblis) also known as Azazel who in Islamic demonology is the counterpart to the devil or Satan. The word devil is a corruption of the Greek translation diabolos, which is a translation of the Hebrew Satan. The name Satan comes from Satanas, the Greek form of the Aramic satana. Iblis is used in the Qur'an as in relation to God (Allah) while shatain is used in relation with humans.

Azazel and Iblis are different ones. Azazel is some kind of other demon, same as Lilith or Belial were (or are...). He is known by jewish goat-sacrifices to replenish his presence, also was fantasified as a leader of seirim, the goatmen. According to some apocryphes, he could be one of the nephilim, humanised angels, which weren't fallen, but became men because of their will (this thing is also just a fantasticism). The highest demon, de facto creator of demonism, is Iblis/Lucifer, fallen angel, who refused to accept humanity as superior (as written in Quran). He became a satan, the archdevil.

Djinn, also called Jinn, and Genies, are a magical race of beings from Islamic and pre-Islamic mythology, said to be half human and half demon. Djinni can be good or evil. They tend to be mischevious and like to punish humans who dare to cross them, even without intent. Djinn are beings of air and fire, and can shapeshift to assume the shapes of animals or humans. They may also exist in air, flame, beneath the earth, and often secret themselves in inanimate objects such as rocks, trees, or Alladin's legendary lamp. Djinni are said to have the power to grant wishes, however it is wise to be cautious, as they see greed as a sin, and too many wishes (more than three in legend) can undo the ones before. Dunenewt in sense they might be considered to be "wizards" of some kind but I have not heard of them referred to in so many words as "wizards".

Quondam: The plural of Genie is Genii, I believe. And the word is used to describe almost any type of spirit, not just from Islamic mythology. Slavonic Leshies, for example, are genii.

??? ??? ???

Vanguard3000 we are talking about the Qur'an (reason I was speaking about Islamic mythology) there would be no need for me to talk about Salvonic demons/sprits as it might cause some confusion. I usually stay on to topic unless I am being playful.

Vanguard, what is "leshii"? How is written it in original?

Genies were half-energy half-matter beings ("made of fire"). They perished and the the strongest remained (known as "ifreeti"), but were corrupted by shaitan. There is a possibility genies are same thing as jewish nephilim, there are many mutual signs. Don't forget that Arabs descended from judaism as well.