koran

Emperor Harkonnen

Leshies are Slavonic forest genii (similar to the Greek Satyr/Roman Faun). Each Leshy was the "king" of his own forest. They were often depicted as old men with big white beards. They could change their size, sometimes being as tall as the tallest tree in his forest, while sometimes being small enough to hide under a single leaf. They would sometimes confuse or scare hunters and others travelling through their domain, causing them to get lost. This is similar to the Greek satyr/god Pan (Faunus in Roman mythology), from where we get the word "panic".

The Slavonic people, like the Greeks and Romans, had genii/spirits for a lot of different things. The only other ones I know off the top of my head are Poleviks, which are field genii, and would sometimes attack farmers.

"Leshy" can also be spelled "Ljeschi", which is probably more accurate. It is derived from the word "ljes" ("forest").

Ah, "lesny ded" you mean. But that's far from genies. Genies were fire-beings, satyrs and such were flesh and blood. It's closer to vila (sprite or nymph), what were forest spirits luring and killing men in forest (slavonic vila uses dance). But we have some mutual spirits, i.e. poludnica, female demon stealing children, nearly same thing as jewish lilith, just she works in day.

Actually the term "genie" is english. The correct word would be jinni and the plural being jinn. ;)

There are several different ways to refer to the jinn.

1. Jinn that live among mankind, they are called aamar whose plural is amaar

2. Jinn that antagonize the young, they are called arwaah

3. Jinn that are evil and antagonize humans they are called shaitan for the singular (shayateen being the plural)

4. Jinn that cause even more harm and become strong, they are called afreet

There are many verses in the Qur'an about the jinni below are a few of the verses.

Hadith - Sahih Muslim 6757, Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas'ud, similar narration 6759 by 'Aisha, r.a.

Allah's Apostle said: There is none amongst you with whom is not an attache from amongst the jinn (devil). They (the Companions) said: Allah's Apostle with you too? Thereupon he said: Yes, but Allah helps me against him and so I am safe from his hand and he does not command me but for good.

The Noble Qur'an - Al-An'aam 6:112

And so We have appointed for every Prophet enemies - Shay

We use just different transcription. Genie or jinn, doesn't matter. Somewhere in Quran I've found a differentiation between people from flesh (humans) and fire (jinni). However, I don't have the book now, so I don't know where. But they are not same as angels and shaitan is an angel, I think. I.e. Iblis was an archangel with 12 wings.

In Islamic theology, Iblis (also known as al-Shaytan) is described as an *angel, a jinn , or an *angel who was the leader of the jinni. The name of Shaytaan was initially Azazeel and he was a great Aabid (worshipper) of Allah Ta'ala. However, due to pride and arrogance, he rejected the order of Allah Ta'ala to prostrate to Adam and was thus to become the accursed Iblees/Shaytaan.

*this information is contrdictory because "Lucifer" is a Latin word, which means 'Light bearing'. It is primarily in the Christian literature that "Lucifer" came to be regarded as the name of the Satan, before his fall, and was later used to refer to the Satan, by John Milton in his "Paradise Lost".

In view of the above explanation, I really don't think that "Lucifer" could be termed as a translation of "Iblis". The concept of "Lucifer", based on the Christian theology, is that of a fallen angel. The Qur'an does not support this view. The Qur'an, on the contrary, has introduced Satan as a jinn, who refused to submit to the directive of God, and, thus, became "Iblis" - 'the one who refused'.

The Noble Qur'an has clearly stated that Iblees (Iblis/satan) was not an angel but was a jinn. The Qur'an says:

"... but Iblees did it not - he was a jinn - thus he disobeyed his Lord." (Al-Kahaf 18: 50)

In view of this statement of the Noble Qur'an , it is obvious that Iblees was a jinn and not an angel.

I looked on the "leshie", it seems to be a russian name for our "lesny ded", what was a creature with characteristics like good satyrs, just they looked like smaller men, without animal parts. I can name it forest dwarf. But one of the most interesting slavonic demon is "zmok". It is like a black chicken, which brings luck to anyone who carried chicken egg under his arm for a week. Weird, mostly because it isn't to pop from that egg, but it comes trough chimney like a fireball. Some kind of ifreet ;D

Because Arabs use syllabic alphabet, it is impossible to rewrite it fully. It's phonetical translation of something which sounds like "koran", so you can write it as you wish. English write "Quran", Slovaks "Kor

i know you were (hopefully) talking in jest there, but that's not a very respectful thing to say!!

(i mean.. i hear you! i value dune above all other books too.. hehe.. but if there are any muslims on this board i dont know how they will feel about that comment)