Site Updates

Gobalopper

Given that there hasn't been any news since last September, I seriously doubt the usefulness of a blog-like format that emphasizes the news page and removes navigation bars. People don't come to Fed2k for news. They come here mainly for game information, downloads and the forum. I would suggest creating a welcome page that essentially serves as a site map.

Also, I'd like to see the option of switching to the old look, for us nostalgics. We always used to have the option of viewing the website in a format older than the one currently up.

Most of that is planned. This was just a release to get the new design out and tested. It has been well over a year in development now. I've got a few ideas for the main page and seeing how it has been showing outdated news for a long time now I can't see how it still doing that is all that big of a deal. :) The menus should drop-down and I am going to be expanding them to include more stuff once I figure out how I want it to display.

Oh and this new structure allows new layouts pretty easily... I just have to get around to making them.

Most of that is planned. This was just a release to get the new design out and tested. It has been well over a year in development now. I've got a few ideas for the main page and seeing how it has been showing outdated news for a long time now I can't see how it still doing that is all that big of a deal. :)

Well, it used to have lots of links besides the outdated news, and now it only has a few along the top. If the only thing you see on the first page is old news, you are less likely to explore the site than if the first thing you see is old news plus links to downloads, an active ladder etc.

I suggest we keep an eye on the website hits for the next month, and judge the effectiveness of the new template by whether you got more or less hits than would have been otherwise expected. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So anybody know what the link is to get to the same XWIS page ? Does that page even exist anymore ?

Scar asked me to get on XWIS using a PM and I wanted to check if I had missed him by the time I saw the message but couldnt find the link on the xwis website nor on dune2k... ???

Hey Gob, is it possible that some of the maps got lost in the switch over? I was playing a new guy (sksmsjso) last night who wanted to try one of the maps that Duke Davis made for me, but he could not find them on the website. There aren't any from  2006 in the list. Let me know if I have to re- email them to you.

Thanks,

Voodoo Daddy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...