Fiction Comments Go Here

Gobalopper

Unless the place I'm going to has an internet connection (and I doubt I'll be allowed to use it if they do), I'll be gone for the next week. Not a long time I realise, especially with Factions going so slow right now, but I felt that I should let people know. If only to stem the tide of annoying IMs that will inevitably flood my inbox should I dare to be missing for more than a few days; during which time there will be three new threads and eighteen replies in Factions, while everyone in Kanly taps their feet impatiently. In my experience, nothing happens for weeks and then everything goes to pot the moment I take a break. Yeah.

Sorry about my recent absences, I've been working quite a bit lately and I just don't feel up to screwing around on the computer after hours of... screwing around on a computer.

I will try to continue Kanly as well as possible, but my attendance will continue to be spotty.

Again? When was the last time...?

Anyways, I actually tried to bring Tenebria back, people. Sardaukar Elite, exatreides, I'm kind of expecting a little support here. ExSPlug and Dragoon Knight, thank you. Also now that Lord J is back among us, anyone feeling like a thread resurrection might be in luck. Hopefully.

I was really excited about it, I was sorry to see it go. Im for sure in if it comes back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I deleted Fan Fiction Ideas as it didn't serve much purpose; this thread can be its laying ground. Also, deleted the short story thread for lack of activity - if you want to post an independent work make it a new topic. Finally, as TGED was the greatest thread of recent times, I decided to sticky it as well.

Hey!  What are you playing at, GhostHunter?  Why did you delete the Short Story thread? >:(

Just because a thread isn't active, it doesn't warrant deleting it.  There were tons of great original works in there, and unless the thread has been Dungeon-ised and not simply destroyed, those are lost for good.  Didn't you think to just un-sticky them?

We keep talking about "The Revival of Fan Fiction", but with the deletion of decent threads, there's going to be nothing left!  I created "Fan Fiction Ideas" for the sole purpose of helping out Fan Fiction, and people came up with some great ideas.  We can't even look back at them now for ideas for future projects.  I would have appreciated a bit of warning, and a better reason than "it didn't serve much purpose". :-

I'm really very upset that you could so casually erase the ideas of so many people.  Moderator or not, that was the wrong decision to make.

Excuse me, the Short Stories thread was mine anyways. In over a year it didn't even muster a second page, nor got close to nearing it. The authors who posted in their save their work (Apoll, me, '45, Ex) and are easily consultable to have them send you the piece of work at hand. It's been sent to the dungeon, just like the others, and God forbid I could dig'em up. Also, since I was the one who created it I have every right to delete it anyways. Just happened to be littering up the first page with inactivity. Besides, if you want comments/ideas a single devote thread is far more efficient.

In regards to Fan Fiction Ideas, and your attempt to overkill the 'severity' of this issue, it can simply be addresses in Fan Fiction Comments. This thread alone isn't very active as is, nor was the other. Combination of the two will yet again be more efficient/make it more simple and easy. And I feel it was not the wrong choice to make, and would appreciate your cooperation in seeing logic.

True, it would seem logical to make things neat and tidy; everything in its place, and all that.  But by that same token, it would be logical to simply get rid of every topic past, say, Page 10 of each board.  They're just taking up space, and no-one is ever going to reply to them.

You are correct in saying that all authors generally keep backups.  But still, it would be better to simply un-sticky the threads in question.  Even with regards to your suggestion of "combining" the applications of this thread to encompass those addressed in "Fan Fiction Ideas", wouldn't it be possible to just merge the two topics?  How you could see stories and suggestions as 'clutter' in a board full of stories and suggestions is beyond me.

All in all, there is nothing I can do about it.  You're the Mod, and I treat your decisions like I would a referee's; you may not like it, but there's sod all you can do about it, and complaining too much will just get you in trouble.  I was just voicing an opinion - something I am never afraid to do - and I hope it was duly noted.

Of all people, I think Fan Fictioners can appreciate how logic isn't always the answer.  Those threads will be missed... by me, at least.

The forum self-deletes when a post reaches a certain point as far as I'm aware, so I don't especially control that.

Well, I see what you mean about un-stickying, however, there's a few things regarding that. First of all, they'd fall back several pages, and then making one or two posts to bring it back and then watch it fall back again isn't logical, especially as the threads themselves were inactive already. Combining Fan Fiction Ideas would place a lofty additional three pages or so of replies onto this thread, which I don't especially wish to do. They're clutter when they're stickies that have very few replies or purpose could be merged into one of the longest-standing threads (FF Comments).

I'm not going to punish you for your voice or anything, in fact I like hearing it as I try not to view myself ontop of my fellow fan fiction posters just because of a title associated with my name.

Well, like I said, there's nothing I can do about it.  My personal opinion is that all Fan Fics should be kept catalogued on the board until such a time as the forum deletes them by itself, like you said.

My objection lies with the fact that I can't see those threads anymore, and neither can any potential newcomers to Fan Fiction.  I don't know about you, but it was reading the past work of others that originally got me interested in posting on this board.  Having that privelege denied to new and existing members by moving them to the dungeon seems a bad thing all round.

I'm not an extremely tidy person by nature; nor do I like extensive mess.  But every time I see a thread with constructive or creative posts being Dungeonised or deleted, I can't help but get upset.  I can understand the sentiment with 'clutter' or 'mess' in the more mainstream boards... but Fan Fiction?

TGED is the true demonstration of our capibilities, and an important part of our past, that's why I stickied it. It's what you said, past work made you contribute later on, and that's what TGED is for (also convenient that it has such a large history). Short stories are something they can go to a 100 other sites for, it's the interactive aspect that makes Fed2k fan fiction unique.

Even the lesser posted boards need some cleaning up, especially after a year or two.

The forum doesn't automatically delete anything...

You don't need to put posts in the Dungeon unless they are breaking the rules or contain one line pointless responses. If you don't want a particular thread to be posted in just lock it.