C&C Generals link

Taqwa11

Supposedly you don't have to mess with any of that stupid Gamespy stuff. It's just the server used. I'm not sure what that means yet, but I'm counting on it NOT sucking because EA wants to make a HUGE profit off Generals.

well gamespy is just a big list of skirmish games which is unreliable and laggy..u have no tourny or nothing on gs. (which is why it gets so boring). As long as people buy the game EA will have the money..they wont concern themselves if people are not enjoying it online.

Taqwa, WW are just trying to be misleading as usual, if gamespy is the server then that means you'll have all the bugs e.t.c you would from any game based on gamespy it's just that the config, controls, e.t.c won't be gamespy based. The fact there is no tourny is idicataive of the game being tied down to the gamespy server and it's problems

On the brighter side, the fact that WW has delayed Generals past christmas instead of rushing it for that date may be a sigh that WW aren't intending to use Generals as a cash cow...

Additionally, unlike Emperor, Generals is very well advertisized... Here in S.A, I saw someone asking for Generals in the pirates section at a certain flee market

Well, the latter is what you get for hyping ;D ;) :) :( 8) :P

well gamespy is just a big list of skirmish games which is unreliable and laggy..u have no tourny or nothing on gs. (which is why it gets so boring). As long as people buy the game EA will have the money..they wont concern themselves if people are not enjoying it online.

Cerb, I think you are under a big misconception. It is NOT run using the (god-forbid) gamespy software, which I agree, is absolutely atroscious. It is only using their servers. Which means you play multiplayer games EXACTLY the same as in emperor, only instead of using WW's PC's as servers, you are using gamespys. You don't have to register for gamespy or any of that sh|t either. Hey their servers may not be flawless, but then again, were WOL's? no. I am currently playing ut2k3 on using gamespy servers and overall it is working fine. WW can still setup the chat rooms and everything exactly the same as in emperor, only instead of using WOL servers, they use gamespy servers. You access it the same way as in emperor (just click multiplayer game) and you will see nothing with the word gamespy on it, just an in-game community and server listings like RA2, or empy. Get it? good. ;)

Taqwa, WW are just trying to be misleading as usual, if gamespy is the server then that means you'll have all the bugs e.t.c you would from any game based on gamespy it's just that the config, controls, e.t.c won't be gamespy based. The fact there is no tourny is idicataive of the game being tied down to the gamespy server and it's problems

On the brighter side, the fact that WW has delayed Generals past christmas instead of rushing it for that date may be a sigh that WW aren't intending to use Generals as a cash cow...

Additionally, unlike Emperor, Generals is very well advertisized... Here in S.A, I saw someone asking for Generals in the pirates section at a certain flee market

Well, the latter is what you get for hyping ;D ;) :) :( 8) :P

Who cares about tournys. If they have they make a solid game, and a ladder, I'm getting it, with reasonably reliable servers, I am getting it. And trust me, gamespy's servers are not any worse than WOL. Just the software is, but you are not using it anyway.

Could you use other programs like All Seeing Eye then? I know with Renegade you could but that is setup a little different. And does GameSpy have ingame paging like WOL?

1.) Theoretically you could use ASE (I wish they would!),if WW is going to support it or not, I havn't a clue.

2.) Depends on whether WW implements it the generals' multiplayer menu/features layout. I don't shouldn't be a problem for it to happen though...

Rumors are that Generals won't be dependent on which General you choose after all. In other words, you won't be stuck with a strong ground or special forces army when the game flow dictates that you need to quickly become stronger in air power. Good idea, if you ask me, because I'd hate to be stuck with producing veteran tanks if the battleground favors air power and the other guy produces veteran planes straight from the hangar simply because he chose the general best at air power.

I don't know if that interests anyone but me, but what the hell.

By the way, Generals is scheduled to come out in February, about a month later than originally stated.

The poor narrow minded WW fans at the Generals forum believe WW's statement that they will support the game for 18 months 24/7 lol... They'll just have Delphi on himself who does nothing to watch the game for that long as they did in Emp. WW made a similarly empty promise in RA2 did they not (Still pleased that I saw how stupid YR was and how it would imbalance the game beyond belief and thus did not waste my money on it)

WW have ALREADY starting giving extremely poor support by being to cheap to put it on WOL, if they are to cheap to do this, then I don't why people don't think that they'll be similarly cheap in the future

Im not saying having it based on a Gamespy server is bad or anything but it is a clear indicator that WW will not seriously support the game though it may still be a huge success... And no I don't mean a huge success for WW since it will certainly be thanks to WW's hyping and the narrow minded simpletons who always buy their games (the majority of which are suited to such a market) but that it may actually be enjoyable to play...

Oh and by the way don't tell me that WW will support Generals if it sells well because TS and RA sold brillianty but they were still barely supported...

Perhaps you're right, Sneak. The difference between Westwood/EA has always been the QUANTITY of games they make. Westwood/EA has always made more games and supported them for a shorter time (because they're always going on to the next big thing), while Blizzard has always made fewer games and supported them longer. I guess when a company moves a lot slower as Blizzard does, it has less to support and can spend longer and more resources doing it.

Official word from Delphi on a key piece of information. What are your thoughts?

Delphi-EA

Supreme Commander

Member # 23

posted September 26, 2002 11:23 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No 3 min rule in generals.

--------------------

Delphi

Online Community Manager

Command & Conquer

Westwood Studios/Electronic Arts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What it means is that there will be no disconnecting to save your ass in the first three minutes of Generals multiplayer games. I'm not sure what might happen if you are playing an extreme lagger, though. I'm hoping for a one-minute rule, or at least a 30-second rule because that would be plenty of time to decide if you've got a fast game or a slide show on your hands.

Guest Eric E.

Hello,

You can login when One of the moderators have accepted your registration. Could take a minute, or 6 days ;).

Regards

Eric E.

This is another lengthy post, but I think those of you who are looking forward to Generals will be interested. :) Here are some comments from the Generals board regarding EA and Gamespy working together for the multiplayer aspect of Generals:

Sham

Board Veteran

Member # 8149

posted November 21, 2002 09:54 AM

Expanding on an already existing relationship for such titles as Medal of Honor Allied Assault and Freedom Force, GameSpy Industries and Electronic Arts announced on Tuesday that the two companies have signed a multi-year technology licensing and services agreement.

Under the agreement, EA will incorporate GameSpy's middleware into select upcoming PC games that feature online game play. GameSpy will also provide assistance in managing the back-end services for EA's online games that use the GameSpy middleware, providing server, bandwidth, and reporting support.

"GameSpy's online gaming solutions provide us with code that's easy to integrate seamlessly into our games, and a reliable back-end infrastructure," said David McCombe, director of piracy protection for EA. "Once our games are released, GameSpy takes care of managing the online infrastructure, freeing up our resources to build new games."

As part of the agreement, Electronic Arts will also make GameSpy technology and services available to its co-publishing partners.

"Having EA as a long-term partner is an exceptional endorsement for our company and its technology," said Mark Surfas, CEO of GameSpy Industries. "Their standards for third-party tools are among the toughest in the business, and we're proud to have earned their confidence."

I knew this was bound to happen.

[ November 21, 2002, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Sham ]

--------------------

#C&CGeneral at QuakeNet servers in MIRC for a great time!

http://wwarsenal.zeonstudios.com/forum/

"We can help make the world safe for diversity. For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." - JFK

spam

Trainee (newbie)

Member # 8564

Member Rated:

posted November 21, 2002 09:56 AM

Honestly I dont know anyone that likes gamespy. It is just taking over the internet.. you cant download from them without a stupid account, sometime you even have to pay for that account... Gamespy arcade is bloatware, its a horrible service... im so happy Blizzard doesnt use Gamespy, they get AT&T to host their servers.

bluuurrrr

Trainee (newbie)

Member # 8652

posted November 21, 2002 09:57 AM

it's a shame

--------------------

Click here for a preview of AircraftKiller's Generals Maps and to submit ideas to the first man to get his hands on the tools!!

Freek

Trainee (newbie)

Member # 334

Member Rated:

posted November 21, 2002 10:01 AM

So what?? It just means EA games will use Gamespy technology to brows servers. The whole thing is intergrated into the game, you don't have to downlaod or instal or pay for anything.

Hell, if they diden't anounce it nobody would even know.

Nobody likes to use Gamespy arcade because of the anoying adds but that won't happen in Generals or any toher gaem for that matter, it's th technology and servers that are being used, the ingame interface is still the same thing as in RA2 or TS.

This anoucement doesn't effect gamers in any way.

--------------------

-Freek aka SilverFox/SilverF0x

Guns don't kill people, kids who play violent videogames kill people ;)

Cabadrin

Trainee (newbie)

Member # 4145

Member Rated:

posted November 21, 2002 10:02 AM

The great thing about our country is that we can always have other game companies and ISPs out there, and never a monopoly. IF you do not like EA and GameSpy, then feel free to not buy their games and not subscribe to their services.

--------------------

College Student

Avid Gamer

Doom3 Alpha - With a P4 2.2, G4 4200 64, 512 RAM, ASUS Motherboard w/400mhz BUS, and SBAudigy2, IT STILL CAN GET CHOPPY! id, YOU MONSTERS!

Sham

Board Veteran

Member # 8149

posted November 21, 2002 10:06 AM

Next time itll be EA and Gamespy merge. Then youll have no choice.

--------------------

#C&CGeneral at QuakeNet servers in MIRC for a great time!

http://wwarsenal.zeonstudios.com/forum/

"We can help make the world safe for diversity. For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." - JFK

FISKER_Q

Board Veteran

Member # 3372

Member Rated:

posted November 21, 2002 10:10 AM

EA Games

Bloat a goat!

--------------------

----Mah New Rig----

Athlon XP 2200+ 1800MHz Asus GeForce 4 Ti4200 Asus A7V333

ThermalTake Xazer II Soundblaster Audigy Samsung 512 MB DDRRAM PC2700

[NATO]AirStrike

Trainee (newbie)

Member # 550

Member Rated:

posted November 21, 2002 10:12 AM

i don't really like EA alot of people call them money-grabbers which they are in a way. (Virgin was better for ra1)

and hate GameSpy!! they banned me!!

i certainly hope they do not merge.

--------------------

"He Who Controls The Skies Controls The Sea And Land."

sigairstrike.jpg

http://www.natoclan.net

transnote

Board Veteran

Member # 141

posted November 21, 2002 12:46 PM

I'm going to paste part of my Generals review, and keep in mind it's just using GameSpy's matching servers, nothing more.

------------------------------------------

Let me take a moment to clear up any confusion with Generals and GameSpy. I entered my GameSpy e-mail address only because I had previously read that Generals is using GameSpy as a backend. If I had not read this prior to my hands on time, I would never have known. There was no GameSpy logo or prompt, in fact the name GameSpy isn't even seen. The Generals Multiplayer Test is using the GameSpy infrastructure. This means the system behind the scenes is run by GameSpy, a big name in multiplayer gaming. They know what is happening and have people on call 24/7 to monitor the system. Many people have confused this with GameSpy Arcade, an interface to launch multiplayer games. The multiplayer test doesn't seem to have any support for GameSpy Arcade, although the final version will likely have it as an option. As far as the player is concerned, the multiplayer system is very similar to prior C&C games based on WOL in terms of looks and feel.

Source: http://www.ww-unleashed.com

And now here is a link to Gamespot, where you can find a great, very recent article regarding Generals multiplayer:

Damn, the link doesn't work for some reason when I paste it here. Just go to Gamespot and check it out for yourselves. :O