Gob Please warn Duke alex atreides

thomas

::) These guys are new to the boards give them a break. I'm sure they are wanting to up their rank on the boards, you know when posters first come their first impulse is to post alot (I remember when some of you guys did the same things). No where in the open on the site does it say not to post to anything over two months old, which I think is ok as long as it's relevent to the thread. And guys you can't expect "newbies" to know all of our little rules. Did any of you ever stop to think maybe you could IM the persons about it and explain why you think it is annoying? They haven't said anything offensive, they have just been posting to old threads. No need to go to DEFCON 4.

Well I don't want to lock every thread as thats a hell of a lot of threads to lock. :)

I could implement some sort of way to disallow replies to threads over a certain age... I will look into it, mass posting also pisses me off as I read every message posted.

Another way is a limit to the number of posts you can have per day, which could increase depending on a rating I give. If you have been around a while there might not be any limit but new posters or spammers would have a much lower limit of posts per day.

Most likley he never even looked at the date on the posts, and just went through posting his opinion to threads that interested him.   Don't forget, when you first sign up every thread says tat it is "New", that may have thrown him off jsut a bit.  I actually went through looking for completly commentless spam of his to delete and I didn't see any.  Even his comments saying "it was ok" fit in the thread because the thread asks "What did you think of House Harkonnen?"  Tommorow he'll probably come online, see all you guys complaining about him, and realize that he's been responding to threads 3 years old, apologize, and stop.  Plus, some of those old threads still have discussion left in them.

Hell, that "Which Dune novel do you like best?" thread was posted two years ago  and is one of the most popular threads on the site right now,  with pretty much everyone in this thread contributing to it.  The 16th post made in that thread wasn't made until a full year after the first,  and if often goes two or three months without another post, then someone brings it up and it gets 6, then it disapears, then someone brings it up again.

If we banned every newbie on this forum who posted a lot his first few days, very few of you guys would still be around today.  He's been asked to stop posting to every thread, and if he doesn't, then more action will be taken.  But right now, he doesn't look any different from any of you when you came on these boards.  We had to warn most of you not to drag up old threads as well, and most of you hadn't even noticed that they were old threads.