Dune 2000 1.06p - Game patching (bug fixes, new features)

FunkyFr3sh

1. Thats a good thing funky, but I dont see any "DxWnd GDI Mode" in settings or it will be after the update?

2. And what CM_STORM said its an good idea but if you think to add this , add it as an option in the menu(lobby) couse you know, we need to keep the same gameplay.

3. In my mind all  those new improvements were/are and would be good, I mean this mods(disable turret, engineer, concrete, cm_storm idea etc) but I like/would like if they are added as an option not as an obligation, I think you know what I mean.

I always am referring to singleplayer moded campaigns. Someone did the death hand 100% accuracy, wich in original campaign isn't good because in the level 8 destroying the Palace Ordos in one shot to make the Atreides being neutral will be too easy. But for other maps can be a good option.

Making the buildings produce more slowly can be use to force players (in moded campaign) to build concretes: for example I did a campaign in Dune 2 Style some time ago (limited spice, no mountains...). Adding this kind of feature for this campaign will feel more like Dune 2.

I always am referring to singleplayer moded campaigns. Someone did the death hand 100% accuracy, wich in original campaign isn't good because in the level 8 destroying the Palace Ordos in one shot to make the Atreides being neutral will be too easy. But for other maps can be a good option.

Making the buildings produce more slowly can be use to force players (in moded campaign) to build concretes: for example I did a campaign in Dune 2 Style some time ago (limited spice, no mountains...). Adding this kind of feature for this campaign will feel more like Dune 2.

I did the Death Hand accuracy, and I'd like it to be added to cncnet :)

I mean "one hit = one building lost." Btw all from what you say there can be changed( the tech availablility and charging time). And the entry to the sidebar is not a problem couse if you have High-Resolution you saw it fast and use it. Also on low-res is easy couse you have the scroll from your mouse.

Atreides have their OP sonics + missiles + troopers combo, I think it's fair to give Harks a superweapon that can actually be useful. It's not like the accurate death hand will win you the match, will just be annoying for the opponent and slow him down a bit, which is just fair imo.

A thing about the .ini file.

With "Music=*" the music is random and that's ok (although maybe the main menu music can be played too). But a minor issue here:

I have a map with a .ini with "music=*" (or "music=ambush.aud") and start the level.

The music is playing ok even restarting the map (with the "*" a new song is chosen). But if I save the game and then load it, the music stops. This happen in both random or chosen a single music.

I created my first campaign (a mini campain) but someone couldn't download your files (me neither), but now is working.

I choose the .aud files in the .ini, because with the random some music isn't for Dune, or the main menu music could starts too.

Nice, let me know if you want me to include it in the missionLauncher.zip :)

Yes, I should add a filter for the menu music, it is pretty easy to add

-

Some updates

Dune2000.exe and Dune2000config.exe updated:

Added a new option named "UseImprovedFPSLimiter" which allows you to play the game with just 1-2% cpu usage instead of eating up 100% of one core. Probably a good option for notebook users since the game wont eat up your battery juice so quickly anymore

Full description from the Dune2000Config tooltip:

Use Improved FPS Limiter

By default the game is trying to keep the Frame rate sync with the refresh rate of your monitor,
this can cause problems if the refresh rate is above 60hz. The improved FPS limiter will always keep
your FPS at around 60.

Solves the following issues:
    High CPU usage.
    Lag in online games.
    Fast spinning mouse cursor.
    Fast scrollrate.

• Upvote 2

Added a new option named "UseImprovedFPSLimiter" which allows you to play the game with just 1-2% cpu usage instead of eating up 100% of one core. Probably a good option for notebook users since the game wont eat up your battery juice so quickly anymore

Specially thanks for this, seems promising.

And don't forget to mention, that your notebooks will no more overheat like oven when playing D2k.

I could, but the game was designed to run at around 60FPS, if the frame rate is too high or too low then the game will start to glitch (fast cursor, fast scrollrate, unplayable laggy in online games and more)

-

Some updates

dune2000.exe and dune2000config.exe updated:

The position and the size of the window are now saved automatically (window mode)

Nice, let me know if you want me to include it in the missionLauncher.zip :)

Yes, I should add a filter for the menu music, it is pretty easy to add

You can include it. May help people to know how to create messages without editing any text.uib and how to choose a music or write a briefing.

Ijust tried the latest version and I have to say: WOW.

Small maps don't crash the game anymore - CHECK

No compatibility mode needed - CHECK

Fullscreen (!) cinematics - CHECK

I have to use the GDI mode, otherwise I always have to Alt + Tab every resolution change.

One minor bug: The strategy map jumps from an empty map to the "select a mission" map. No animations are being shown.

Thank you for an amazing patch!

Yes, that bug is known. The game normally crashed in high res mode when that animation was playing so I turned it off until it is fixed.

Current to do list for the high res patch:

Single player region animation is broken

The game cannot generate 8bit graphics (for the in game sidebar menu)

Loading a savegame from a different resolution can have some graphical glitches (Only happens in some special cases)

Airstrike is causing Out of Sync in online games (Currently the Air Strike is disabled in online games to avoid that problem)

Yes, that bug is known. The game normally crashed in high res mode when that animation was playing so I turned it off until it is fixed.

Current to do list for the high res patch:

Single player region animation is broken

The game cannot generate 8bit graphics (for the in game sidebar menu)

Loading a savegame from a different resolution can have some graphical glitches (Only happens in some special cases)

Airstrike is causing Out of Sync in online games (Currently the Air Strike is disabled in online games to avoid that problem)

Is it known why the Air Strike causes it to become out of sync? 

I could, but the game was designed to run at around 60FPS, if the frame rate is too high or too low then the game will start to glitch (fast cursor, fast scrollrate, unplayable laggy in online games and more)

Can we have 50 -75?

At this time SFX are toggable so by an easy click I can switch between different languages. Could you do the same for the movies? I used the german and english movie folder and together with the toggable language option I could easily change the whole game's language. Of course I have to overwrite the movie folder every time I want to switch. It would be nice if the game could handle 2 (or more) movie folders, e.g. "movieseng" and "moviesger".

• Upvote 1

I updated dune2000.exe, it supports now movie folders for all languages

I also changed the code so it checks first if the multi langauge files/folders exist, and if not it will just use the default folder, this way you can have german text while using english voices (in case you don't have a GAMESFXGer folder for example)

What you wanna do with 50-75? xD

Many monitors have a refresh rate (Hz) that is a multiple of 60 (e.g 120Hz, 240Hz) which is already supported and of 50 (100Hz, 200Hz, ...) and old CRTs usually support that range with common refresh rates being 60, 70, 72, 75 or 85 (the last is too fast I suppose and we 'd better get rid of). So especially for newer monitors this would mean less issues with the display.