Dune 2000 1.06p - Game patching (bug fixes, new features)

FunkyFr3sh

dune2000.exe and dune2000config.exe were updated in the first post, now with window mode support

Avira (still) goes crazy on the dune2000config.exe file, is there a way to prevent that? Might scare people away from using the program.

Window mode fails for me above the original resolution. What did you change? No clear error message, game just won't start.

Working: 640x400, 640x480, 1024x768

Fails: 720x480,  1152x864

Looks like it does not like resolutions that won't fit 32 (with no remainder) in the width. There was a problem with this in the battlefield-view before (got fixed), but not during game starting up, if I remember correctly.

Shutting the game with the window-toolbar-thing (which also contains minimize) won't actually stop the game. It's still running in Processes.

Edited by D2k Sardaukar

I have Avira too, no false alarm here

Was updating to the latest DxWnd version, the version i used before was 2years old. Will check if it's related to the dxwnd update or the settings

Edit:

Updated dune2000.exe, all resolutions should be working again

Scanned the config on virustotal, no false alerts there either: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/0fef0fe1b4eb0fdae7454f3722e62de1585f4e0326922fa868e859ecae177ab5/analysis/1432160523/

• Upvote 1

I tried your latest version and it works pretty well, though Atreides mission one crashes with every resolution bigger than 1024x768. I guess this is because every resolution bigger than 1024x768 is bigger than the first map. IIRC older highres patch versions solves this by adding a surrounding black area to the map.

Yes it's a known problem and is fixed in the Gruntmods dune 2000 download, the maps in that download are modified (bigger size). I don't have the maps as a separate download atm, but I can get them for you if needed

I still got some simple Python code that makes the maps bigger (with unreachable terrain based on resolution) and the menu background images bigger (with black around it based on resolution).

I could see if I can put it into the Github code, but I never did this because I hoped you could find a way just in the Dune 2000 code to fix the issues. :) Is a cleaner way, in my eyes, than just hundreds of different background images and unnecessary terrain added to maps.

Edited by D2k Sardaukar

Fixing up the problem with small maps needs to be done yea, the menu backgrounds are not so important since the mission select, score screen etc are not centered either so I think it's better to keep the menu showing in the top left for now, it would just make it look more broken than now if the half is the centered and the other half not

• 2 weeks later...

dune2000.exe updated:

Added support for infinite spice maps, to enable infinite spice in your map you need to open the map in a hex editor and change byte 7 to 03

Every thick spice will be infinite, thin spice not

Actually hex-editing is not needed. In map editor, you can place any special value you want (simply specify it in "Special value" field) and then place it somewhere in map. To see where it is placed you need to enable "Show unknown specials" option.

dune2000.exe updated:

Added support for a new file called "rules.ini", fans of other westwood games might know this file, for those who don't know it -> This files contains almost all game settings in other westwood games and is used by every modder. The dune2000 version doesn't contain many settings yet but I will add more things later, it will take some time to complete it since there are hundreds (thousands?!) of possible settings. This file will replace all .bin files once it is done, tibed will not be needed anymore. Later I will add support for loading these settings from map files too, this way each map can have its own settings which override the global settings found in rules.ini

This new feature does not work online yet, but I will add it the next days

http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/files/d2k/dune2000.exe

http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/files/d2k/rules.ini

I added 2 comments already, feel free to to add comments and post them in here in case the name of the setting might not tell what it is about

• Upvote 4

dune2000.exe updated:

The game supports now loading a separate rules file for each map, the file must have the same name as the map. All settings found in the maps own .ini file will override the global settings found in rules.ini. The [settings] sections allows you force certain game options, this feature can be useful for some maps since you want players to start without units and/or mcv etc.

We have created a new mod map with the name "Crate War on Arrakis", in this map you start without mcv and you only get 2 infantry, your mission is to search the map for crates to win the battle. The amount of crates is 5x higher than with normal settings and the map is very small (you will see crates all the time). This map is a multiplayer only map since AI players are not smart enough to search for crates :D

Thanks to dato for porting the map over from Red Alert!

Download: http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/files/d2k/new-mod-map.zip

This is how the new map extension file looks:

[basic]
Name=Crate Wars On Arrakis
Author=Dato

[settings]
Crates=Yes
Worms=0
Credits=1
TechLevel=1
UnitCount=2
StartWithMCV=No

[Vars]
harvestUnloadDelay=60
;harvestBlobValue - The value of each blob of spice (a harvester can carry up to 7)
harvestBlobValue=100
harvestLoadSpiceDelay=60
starportUpdateDelay=1500
starportStockIncreaseDelay=1500
starportStockIncreaseProb=10
starportCostVariationPercent=25
starportFrigateDelay=1500
refineryExplosionOffsetX=62
refineryExplosionOffsetY=-79
HarvesterDriveDistance=64
RepairDriveDistance=64
BuildingRepairValue=12
UnitRepairValue=8
SinglePlayerDelay=2
NumberOfFremen=2
SandWormAppetite=3
SandWormInitialSleep=50
SandWormFedSleep=40
SandWormShotSleep=90
NumberOfCrates=5
CratesPerPlayer=No
DevastatorExplodeDelay=100
IgnoreDistance=2
CrateCash=2000
;ShowWarnings - Debug feature for game crashes
ShowWarnings=Yes
DeathHandAccuracy=3

Note: when you create a new map you do NOT need to include all these lines (this is just an example file), only include the lines you like to have changed! This is how a map would look if you only want to change the spice value and force crates to be on:

[basic]
Name=My new super spice map!
Author=YOU

[settings]
Crates=Yes

[Vars]
harvestBlobValue=500

CnCNet was updated to use all these features, for games in the CnCNet lobby the file named "rules-spawn.ini" will be used to ensure it won't do any changes to your singleplayer "rules.ini" file

• Upvote 3

dune2000.exe and rules.ini updated:

InfiniteSpice can now be enabled via rules.ini and map .ini files

That also means that InfiniteSpice via special value 3 in the map editor doesn't work anymore, please update your maps and remove the special value 3 and use the .ini now instead! All CnCNet multiplayer/skirmish maps were updated automatically

• Upvote 1