Dune 2000 1.06p - Game patching (bug fixes, new features)

FunkyFr3sh

I tested your new exe. The following changed:

- Videos are not centered anymore except when using 640x400, of course. Instead, they are in the upper left corner.

- The game freezes after the Dune 2000 logo video. No main menu, no switchting to the desktop, it just freezes.

- Game is playable with disabled movies though.

- No differences between DxWnd or no DxWnd besides:

- Only GDI-mode prevents crashing while exiting the game

No change regarding the mentioned issue with both exe files. Freeze with movies, no freeze without them. Awkward mouse behaviour with the original exe.

System used: i7 2700k @ 4.2 Ghz, GTX 780 (newest driver: 353.62), Windows 10 Pro.

Awkward mouse behaviour with the original exe? The original doesn't allow you to disable the movies, are you sure you tested the right file? How far you get with the original one?

here is one more:

http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/files/temp/test2/dune2000.exe

I'm out of ideas after this one, not sure if I can fix it without having windows 10 to look at my own :(

I definitely used your original exe file. I could disable the Dune 2000 video by renaming the movie folder. I just tried this again but strangely now I can ony hear the sound. The game changes the resolution but only showes me a 4:3 desktop view. Still, I can clearly make out the Logo video and main menu sound and, with renamed movie folder, just the menu sound. 

Your new file achieved nothing new. 

If I can help in any way, just let me know. Hopefully you'll be able to test Windows 10 in the near future.

Regarding the awkward mouse behaviour: It was choppy, like the framerate was not consistent.

Oh, and thanks (!!!) for your help.

It works...and I don't know why.

I tested you new file and nothing new happend. It wanted to try all options but went to my girlfriend's PC instead. She has the game still on her drive and upgraded to Windows 10 as well. Guess what: It worked. Flawlessly. With Rev 27. The one I used just before I wrote you about my problems. So I put her gamefolder on a Stick, put it on my PC and...it worked. So I put her exe file in my game folder and I still got the freezes. I checked the options and she hadn't activated single processor affinity. So I unchecked it. And it worked. Ok, I found the problem. No, I did not. I reactivated single processor affinity and....it worked again.

So now I am using Rev 27 on Windows 10, everything set as always (with DxWnd + GDI) and the game works. I seriously don't know why. And I am sorry for the trouble I made. But you have to believe me: It stopped working. And now it works again. And I seriously don't know why.

:D

EDIT: So now I've put your latest file into my game folder again...and it works. The videos are in the upper left corner, transition times seem to be a bit longer, but other than that it is working fine. The SAME FILE that didn't work a few minutes ago.

I didn't download the last "dunexe", but from what I've read here now you can change the music in mid game, reproduce sounds and make a player explode like in the practice mode when the player left, Right?

This is something I could use in my Fremen campaign, so your soldiers are not risking his life anymore because of the debris. Or... like in the Red Alert 1 game, when destroying a core building other buildings explode as well.

I was thinking:

-How about the possibility to give a player the control of two houses at the same time?

-Or, an event to make 1 "House" joining forces with the human player, like those missions which you start with 10 units and the game tells you to search your base. When you are near that base change to your control.

-Events cheking the healh of a building?  when I said about changing the efficiency of buildings based in their health, you said me a "maybe", so a "if building =50%, enemy reinforcements here".

<-- I would say that this is impossible, but maybe you surprise me.

Yes, I will fix it soon.

The bug happens when you right click the grayed out icons in the sidebar, the game will not cancel the production and glitch instead. So make sure you right click on the icon you want to cancel and not on the other icons around it

I probably found a bug with music. Your patched Dune2000 plays only one music when playing a mission (the music which plays as first in that mission). That music is still repeating over and over. I tried to play with Vanilla Dune 2000 and everything works there, the game is switching musics.

Could you fix it? Or is it only my problem? It's really annoying to hear just a single drack during whole mission.

Didn't know it does switch the music in singleplayer, in skirmish it was the other way around, it would never switch it and thats why i set it up to use random songs by default after i made the music patch. Will take a look into it

If possible, maybe add an option to specify multiple music tracks in the ini

Will take a look into playlists later, gotta finish some other stuff first

-

Updates:

MissionLauncher.zip and dune2000.exe updated

MissionLauncher can now show a map preview (disabled by default, not everyone likes to see the map!)

MissionLauncher got its own score screen now, looks pretty much the same as the one from CnCNet

• Upvote 1

FunkyFr3sh I have another suggestion for D2k Patch. This is "Reveal Map" option. With this, the map won't be covered with shroud at all but will all be visible from the start.

This would be very useful for testing the map. Now I need to add dummy "Reveal Map" events to the map but they are limited to radius of 7. Unfortunately "Show Map" option on D2k Trainer is not working for me for some reason.

It would be great if it would be also option in spawn.ini file so that I can set it in "Test Map" dialog in D2kEditor.

• Upvote 2

FunkyFr3sh I have another suggestion for D2k Patch. This is "Reveal Map" option. With this, the map won't be covered with shroud at all but will all be visible from the start.

This would be very useful for testing the map. Now I need to add dummy "Reveal Map" events to the map but they are limited to radius of 7. Unfortunately "Show Map" option on D2k Trainer is not working for me for some reason.

It would be great if it would be also option in spawn.ini file so that I can set it in "Test Map" dialog in D2kEditor.

Fixed that, you can now pass 0 as radius to reveal everything

• Upvote 2

dune2000.exe updated:

In-game music list does now display every .aud file that was found in the game folder, if there is no matching text.uib entry then it will use the filename instead

Music does not repeat in singleplayer anymore, it will now use the original logic again and pick a different side specific track once the current one is done playing, if the current one is a custom one then it will pick a non side specific random one found in the music folder

dune2000.exe updated:

In-game music list does now display every .aud file that was found in the game folder, if there is no matching text.uib entry then it will use the filename instead

Music does not repeat in singleplayer anymore, it will now use the original logic again and pick a different side specific track once the current one is done playing, if the current one is a custom one then it will pick a non side specific random one found in the music folder

Thanks for this. It was really pain to hear just one music again and again.

Btw I have question. Where are the mission-specific playlists stored? Are they hardcoded in exe? As far as I know, every mission for every side has its own playlist (not distinguishing V1 and V2). For example, Harkonnen mission 1 and 6 always starts with "Rise of Harkonnen" and so on. Or are there rather "Side-specific" tracks (as you stated) which cycle in each mission for respective side and just the starting track differs from mission to mission?