What are the Inkvines good for?

Serquej

There are many uses for the good old Inkvine Catapult. You can take out turrets with 3-4 of them, take out deployed Kindjal and Mortar Infantry positions, you can even wear down big heavy units like the Ordos Kobra, or the Atreides Minotaurus with them. Just remember to pull them back when they're in danger, since they won't last long by themselves without support. One nice little trick that I like to do on the AI (doesn't work on humans  ::) ) is get lots of Inkvine Catapults, lay down a big patch of Inkvine fluid at their ramps, and set it alight. That's just hilarious, watching their units walk right through the fire and getting burnt to a crisp.

Yes, Inkvine is very good at flushing out infantry from a long range, especially Mortar, Kindjal and Fremen as the first 2 need to deploy to be effective so can't get out of the way and Fremen take ages to move after first decloaking to shoot - mobs of Fremen under poor control can be quickly killed with Inkvine or better, Mortar.

The other use for Inkvine is literally: "Find peaceful spot, destroy it!". Find a nice bit of infantry rock your enemy likes to use. Cover it with Inkvine. Set it alight with a Flame tank or a Devastator Plasma shot. I've never seen infantry get hurt by Inkvine already on the ground (though projections die so they must do damage) but when you set it alight, BBQ time! IxianMace's burning ramp trick may not work on ramps but what if you tried it on infantry rock? Humans would not use send infantry to their deaths by going onto burning infantry rock so effectively, you've destroyed a 'peaceful' spot for infantry!

Inkvine for base defence can do wonders for the Gun Turret as it too can ignite inkvine. Then your Gun Turret/Inkvine combo can take on just about take on any force (provided they are not outranged or hopelessly outnumbered of course). Devastators could do as a suitable replacement for Gun Turrets if need be.

Catapults are technology of middle ages. Why they ARE in a serious game like Emperor?

Anachronic inkvine catapults were made against Kindjal Infantry. But slow speed of barrel is horrible disadvantage against other units like Sardaukars or Laser Tanks. Against second mentioned unit is flame tank nothing. Also, in Emperor aren't many "peaceful spots".

Actually, my burning ramp trick may work be somewhat effective against humans. The units they send through (infantry or not) get damaged by the burning fluid, you can be guaranteed that any infantry that isn't a Sarduakar unit will start crawling and then burn to death in the fire. Vehicles will be damaged as they move through the fire as well, and the other player probably won't or can't keep on using lots of Advanced Carryalls just to avoid the fire.

Caid, the reason why catapults are used to lob barrels of Inkvine fluid is because the fluid is 'too volatile to be fired from a gun'. Can you imagine what would happen if they tried to fire the Inkvine fluid from a gun?!?! ;D

There aren't many 'peaceful spots' but the burning Inkvine field trick does deter units (and projections). Only the insane would try to send non-Sardaukar infantry past a raging fire to hit Inkvine catapults (far away due to their long range). Burning Inkvine is a deadly obstacle that can hinder infantry progress. Remember that you don't have to set the Inkvine alight - both the Minotaurus and deployed Kobra are excellent at igniting Inkvine in no-man's land.

Vehicles and air units would also be deterred if you positioned Missile tanks and/or Devastators with the Inkvine Catapults - you won't have infantry to draw their fire (if you don't have Sardaukar). If the situation looks bad Inkvine and Missile tanks can run fast. Devastators would just have to slug it out but they would stop the chase against the Inkvine Catapults.

But yes, the Inkvine trajectory is a little too high and slow.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, my burning ramp trick may work be somewhat effective against humans. The units they send through (infantry or not) get damaged by the burning fluid, you can be guaranteed that any infantry that isn't a Sarduakar unit will start crawling and then burn to death in the fire. Vehicles will be damaged as they move through the fire as well, and the other player probably won't or can't keep on using lots of Advanced Carryalls just to avoid the fire.

Caid, the reason why catapults are used to lob barrels of Inkvine fluid is because the fluid is 'too volatile to be fired from a gun'. Can you imagine what would happen if they tried to fire the Inkvine fluid from a gun?!?! ;D

What about using bombers? In Vietnam war it was normal to bomb with chemicals. So what about some in Dune era?

• 3 weeks later...

I've tryed some things with inkvines and I still think that flame tanks are much better.Inks are only good for kinjal. They do so little damage to slow armoured units and buildings.They can kill mortars but flamme tanks are better i that. One more thing: after they shoot they stay in place for a litle time and they loose range advantage cause enemy can come closer and kill 'em. But when I play against atreides I always have one or three or four of them, those kinjal can get really annoying. 8)

In small map deva can destroy turrets. But if enemy has a lot of turrets and I want destroy building with gunships and all those turrets shoting to them, I usually do something with them. Like death hand and later inkvines that are far enough to not to be damaged by death hand missile area.

And in campaign planets and enemy main base missions turrets were on the way to base without long range units so inkvine were very usefull to clean way.