Twitter

Dunenewt

I don't use it. I'm not really that interested in knowing stuff about my friends (or somebody else) like "I'm taking a shower", "bought new liptstick" or crap like that. If you got something to say, use a real blog or forum because a single line can't say it all anyway. In my opinion it's a site for people who think anybody gives a damn about what they are doing. Oddly enough it seems a lot of people really do or at least pretend to.

Also I can't help but smile everytime I see the name "twitter" because it's so similar to the german word "zwitter" which means hermaphrodite and then I always have to think about how I tell people to go f*** themselves when they ask me if I want to follow them on twitter  ::) ;D

Does anyone here use Twitter?  I know Sandchigger used to use it for his own nefarious purposes, and pretty much any celebrity is on there, but should we have a Fed2k Twitter?

Nefarious? Why ... THANK YOU! That's probably the nicest unkind thing you've ever posted about me!  ;D

I've actually declared a hiatus for a year or so ... however long it takes TheKJA to start Twitting (which in his case I usually refer to as Tw@tting) about the next McDune book.

The Penny Arcade cartoon is TOO PERFECT!

Since I often liken TheKJA's "writing" activities to the squirting of (watery thin, runny) fecal material from his lowermost orifice, many of my own posts to Twitter have referenced (fictional) bowel movements! :D

While I have used Twitter to poke fun at TheKJA (Doesn't that user name JUST SAY IT ALL?!), I personally agree that it is one of the stupidest and most ego-centric forms of new communications media imaginable. (I'm not yet decided on whether its role in reporting on the election-related demonstrations in Iran makes up for its inherent silliness.)

• 9 months later...

"...one of the stupidest and most ego-centric forms of new communications media imaginable!"

That basic assessment has not changed in the interim, but the thing does have its uses.

Tomorrow, Tuesday, June 1st, some of us are going to try to trend #Dune on Twitter. If you have an account and want to take part, please join in!

Start at midnight in your time zone and just post things about #Dune. Quotes, thoughts, whatever, as much as you can, for 24 hours.

This is basically just an attempt to see if it can be done, and to see how many fans are out there. It's fan-oriented and fan-organized.

(I'm bumping an old topic here, but I didn't really see the point of starting a new one. :) )