Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

Damn this game is gonna get played now! I just patched it to 1600x900 (1680x1050 still wont behave :() and it looks amazing! Time to play some old school Dune! Back when it was decent! Thankyou so much for making this patch!

Biggest thanks goes towards N.Kindt and mvi.

Make sure you save your game often, because when you are in the starport menu you might forget about the bug and a sudden crash is not relaxed. So when in starport menu select your order and only go down a little below the fourth building icon and hit left mouse button. The big black area covering the not usable building icons functions as the purchase button, but if you go to low it can suddenly crash.

Question: Does it support 1600x1200?

No, currently not. N.Kindt's patch goes up to and including 1920x1080. The height is too heigh with 1600x1200. I think N.Kindt will add more* resolutions once he finds the time. :)

* First thought would be to add unlimited resolution, but at a certain point it gets a bit overkill, I guess, and too small maps will make it crash (which makes map-size the limiting factor).

Did you also try a higher version of the game? Version 1.06?

I was expecting compatibility issues for multiplayer, though if your current version is 1.02 now please try with 1.06 and then tell us what happened.

Good day. Yes, i try hight version dune 1.06, and bug ceased to appear.

Now, when i'm created spaceport, made the order and moved cursor on button "purshase", game is crashed when cursor reach mid right panel. And i'm not click LM, game crashed even when i only moved.

IMHO was safer when button "purshase" was located just below spaceport menu. As was in old version d2k patch with two python scripts.

If you want, I can make a video.

Good day. Yes, i try hight version dune 1.06, and bug ceased to appear.

Now, when i'm created spaceport, made the order and moved cursor on button "purshase", game is crashed when cursor reach mid right panel. And i'm not click LM, game crashed even when i only moved.

IMHO was safer when button "purshase" was located just below spaceport menu. As was in old version d2k patch with two python scripts.

If you want, I can make a video.

Good news that it works and multi-player also in higher resolution.

We are aware of that bug, and yes, you are right, it might be safer to have it higher. I'm going to look into putting the purchase button higher. Video is not needed.

D2k Sardaukar please move the button right below the icons. This might make fixing the crash much easier.

No, currently not. N.Kindt's patch goes up to and including 1920x1080. The height is too heigh with 1600x1200. I think N.Kindt will add more* resolutions once he finds the time. :)

* First thought would be to add unlimited resolution, but at a certain point it gets a bit overkill, I guess, and too small maps will make it crash (which makes map-size the limiting factor).

As i posted already i suspect the game to behave wrong if the ratio isn't 4:3. I haven't tested it but judging from what people write this seems to be the case. I would suggest to simply remove all non 4:3 resolutions outright. Maybe someone could test available resolutions for obvious graphics glitches. Sabitov do you want to look into this?

D2k Sardaukar please move the button right below the icons. This might make fixing the crash much easier.

As i posted already i suspect the game to behave wrong if the ratio isn't 4:3. I haven't tested it but judging from what people write this seems to be the case. I would suggest to simply remove all non 4:3 resolutions outright. Maybe someone could test available resolutions for obvious graphics glitches. Sabitov do you want to look into this?

I placed the purchase button back and adjusted the scroll buttons and now I almost covered both upgrade and startport menu unusable building icons.

The game can do more than 4:3. For example 1920x1080 works perfect here or 1280x1024.

Almost fixed:

63snz6.png

1400x1050 1400x1050bug.th.jpg  with glitches

1440x900 1440x900s.th.jpg

1600x900 1600x900a.th.jpg

1680x1050 1680x1050bug.th.jpg with glitches

1920x1080 1920x1080d.th.jpg

Maximum resolution of my monitor 1920x1080, and i can't test resolution above.

Sorry for dablpost. Limitation on the number of images in a post.

• Upvote 2

Thanks sabitov, this confirms the list I made earlier: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/?p=380857

To me this also says that the logic of the tile-set bug is difficult to understand, one this is certain thought, the game supports more than 4:3.

With what videocard did you run the test? I'm not sure if it matters, but just to make sure. I tested it on Ati.

HI,

I'm new on this forum. I'm french and i try to play Dune2K in Hi-res mod.

When i try to launch  Dune2000-hrpatch.exe command it says : 

can't open Dume2000_1024x768.dat ... why ?

thank you very much ;)

Open up the windows task manager and end DUNE2000.DAT and use the newest patch

Great list sabitov.

@D2k Sardaukar

We should remove those resolutions from the patch. You could do it in your script or i can do it in the patch with a special exit code which you can interpret as an error in Python.

Great list sabitov.

@D2k Sardaukar

We should remove those resolutions from the patch. You could do it in your script or i can do it in the patch with a special exit code which you can interpret as an error in Python.

I will do it in my script so you can focus on fixing the other bug. :)

I will remove the 4:3 warning message and when the wrong resolution is entered it will prompt the user to change it. I will also add supported resolutions to the readme.

One day having a special exit code to interpret that your patcher got an error would be nice thought. For example if someone is running the game and patching for the first time (so no backup file) it won't work.

Kinda hard to keep track with things: so were the black area bottom sidebar errors fixed?

No, there is still a crash when in the starport menu and you go below 4th building icon, but with new release I put the starport button at the original height and now you less likely go over the buggy area.

Version 1.1.3:	1) Starport purchase button placed back below 4th building icon (to prevent		moving mouse over buggy area and getting a crash).	2) Unusable building icons hidden when in upgrade and starport menu.	3) Allow only supported resolutions (no more tileset bug resolutions).

Download: http://forum.dune2k....ution/?p=380752

edit: Someone download v1.1.3, but there was a tiny bug in the scroll buttons overlay. It's fixed already, but that person should re-download it.

• Upvote 2

Fixed upgrade right mouse button crash.

Removed resolution limit (clamped at 4K).

Adjusted buildings icons width - 139.

Tested only 1024x768.

Seems to work great here. Nice work! Just one question before I combine it with my script, because I can't test it, but what are legit resolutions going from 1920x1080 to 4k? :) Wikipedia only goes to: 2560x1600

Or should I just allow all resolutions people can think of when going above 1920x1080 with a small warning that it's not tested?

I tried to use two screens to increase my resolution (did work in windows with AMD eyefinity, for example 3840x1080), but the game did not allow it. Perhaps in windowed mode, but I haven't heard any possibilities about that on these forums. I tried DXWnd, but with no succes.

I redownloaded it, also does the exe file still need to run with administrator "power"?

Yes, I'm afraid it will always need the power. The program is copying, deleting and manipulating Dune 2000 files, it's not making a cup of thee. :P

With what videocard did you run the test? I'm not sure if it matters, but just to make sure. I tested it on Ati.

Nvidia GeForce 550Ti on desktop and NVGF 610M on notebook.

2 D2k Sardaukar, 

And you did not plan for the future, to do new UI?

I have ideas and thoughts on this:

Rerender TGA teixtures in high quality for buildings and units..

Remake textures for tiles.

Remake animation for buildings and units.

I have the skills to work with Autodesk Maya. But, i'm not good understand structure files *.R16 and *.R8. Maybe, together we could do it?

Yes, I'm afraid it will always need the power. The program is copying, deleting and manipulating Dune 2000 files, it's not making a cup of thee. :P

OK, Windows will not at all run it as administrator, even if I right click it and select to run it as that. Hmm, I will try to get it to work

I never went over 1080p. Seemed like a good choice to make it clamp at 4K. I just set an appropriate limit to avoid something like -w 4294967296 -h 4294967296.

*I tried to use two screens to increase my resolution (did work in windows with AMD eyefinity, for example 3840x1080), but the game did not allow it. Perhaps in windowed mode, but I haven't heard any possibilities about that on these forums. I tried DXWnd, but with no succes.*

Windowed mode - take a look here:

http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/?p=350954

*Or should I just allow all resolutions people can think of when going above 1920x1080 with a small warning that it's not tested?*

That's one way to do it. You could also test if given res is really supported through EnumDisplaySettings (from win32api import EnumDisplaySettings).

Edited by N.Kindt

Nvidia GeForce 550Ti on desktop and NVGF 610M on notebook.

2 D2k Sardaukar, 

And you did not plan for the future, to do new UI?

I have ideas and thoughts on this:

Rerender TGA teixtures in high quality for buildings and units..

Remake textures for tiles.

Remake animation for buildings and units.

I have the skills to work with Autodesk Maya. But, i'm not good understand structure files *.R16 and *.R8. Maybe, together we could do it?

mvi is making an image 'editor' for .r16 and .r8 files and you can find lots of info on http://d2kplus.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page. However I think for the high resolution patch remaking textures etc. is not needed. If you want to make a mod, maybe than remaking textures is needed. Also it's too much work to remake it all. So, sorry, I won't help you with that.

I never went over 1080p. Seemed like a good choice to make it clamp at 4K. I just set an appropriate limit to avoid something like -w 4294967296 -h 4294967296.

*I tried to use two screens to increase my resolution (did work in windows with AMD eyefinity, for example 3840x1080), but the game did not allow it. Perhaps in windowed mode, but I haven't heard any possibilities about that on these forums. I tried DXWnd, but with no succes.*

Windowed mode - take a look here:

http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/?p=350954

*Or should I just allow all resolutions people can think of when going above 1920x1080 with a small warning that it's not tested?*

That's one way to do it. You could also test if given res is really supported through EnumDisplaySettings (from win32api import EnumDisplaySettings).

Thanks for the link, window mode actually works in 16bit desktop mode, but it is a bit buggy when the mouse gets to the bottom edge and the game runs too fast. Funny thing is that it also contains debug information about unit state etc.

I tried in window mode to increase the resolution beyond hd 1080, but the game keeps crashing. In other words, I'm not able to test higher resolutions and I'm wondering if it's even working, but I will just add a warning that hd1080 is the maximum known working resolution. EnumDisplaySettings from win32api is not available in python (quick google turned up nothing).

edit: uploaded version 1.2 of the patch.

Edited by D2k Sardaukar
  • Upvote 2

EnumDisplaySettings is a Windows API call. You can get hold of it by importing win32api. The actual function description from MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd162611%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Just a friendly way of telling the user if desired res is really supported, since i see many people on the forum where things don't seem to work out of the box (maybe because of that, maybe not). Not a necessary feature and of course if you feel like it ...