The Mobile Phone Thread

Dunenewt

It seems not only are pigs flying, but they're carpet-bombing everything I believe in:  I got a cellphone just the other day.

I don't know what kind it is, nor do I particularly care.  It has a camera, and is red.  Oh, and it doesn't work in the store where I work, so it's essentially useless to me and I hate it.

My friend bought a new phone with a new plan, so I ended up with her old one, since she can't get out of her old contract.  So far it's been pretty obnoxious, since the battery only lasts like six hours, and people get to bug me when I don't want to be bugged.  I've always liked not having a cellphone; when I'm not home, I'm not home.  Leave me a message.  Whatever.

Anyway, I also resent having to carry around a second gizmo.  I'm enormously happy with my Dell Axim x51V PDA, as it acts as my contact list, scheduler, unit converter, dictionary, periodic table of the elements, mp3 player, and guitar tuner.  It also has SimCity 2000 and X-Com.  All it's missing is a camera-phone.

I have a nokia somethingorother which is probably a few months under four years old. It has served me well, and has the wonderful habit of not picking up calls every so often, so that people have to text me.

Texts are easily ignored.

Once again, however, does it matter?

Well, I took loads and loads of pictures on this phone, but never got round to uploading them on the computer.  There might even be a picture of Edric and Khan on there.  Unfortunately, the screen has broken, which has made it virtually impossible to upload them, so I was wondering if anyone had the same phone, so they could guide me through the steps of making the pictures visible to bluetooth.  That's the most annoying feature of my phone; having to actually set pictures to be visible to bluetooth, rather than it being  the default setting.  Hopefully, when I go back to my parents' house, I will be able to use the PC connecting cable to get the pictures, before having to send the phone away, and possibly getting a replacement rather than it getting repaired.  Having the screen break is apparently a very common fault for the phone, and I searched for it on the 'net, and I can take it to Carphone Warehouse and get it repaired for quite cheap, so I might do that, even though I can hopefully sent it back for free and get it fixed, because that always takes so long, and they might try to claim it as my fault, and say the warranty doesn't cover it.  I really don't know how it broke, because it was in my bag which I left on the side in a room whilst I sat my exam, and when I took it out again it was broken, but due to the design of the phone, there always seems to be a lot of pressure on the LCD screen.

I've had the Nokia N95 for the last year now, and it's still my favourite phone ever.  I wouldn't change it for anything else on the market today, with the possible exception of the 8GB model, which came out about a month after I got mine. :P

It's really good.  Got everything you could want, and a load of stuff that you'd never use (barcode scanner, for crying out loud).  It's got built-in GPS, which is a nice treat, and it can be hooked up to any standard SCART-capable TV.  It's got WiFi, GPRS, and a pretty nice 5 Megapixel camera.  It also slides two ways; one for the number keys, the other for the media keys.  Which rules.

Another nice touch is that it has a standard headphone jack, so you can use your own headphones with the phone, rather than the normally-shoddy ones designed for the handset.  Still expensive today, this phone is brilliant and well worth the money / contract.  Only downsides is that it's somewhat chunky for some peoples' tastes, and the battery doesn't last any longer than a couple of days if you are a heavy user.