How much do you sleep

Emperor Harkonnen

About 12 hours, if I can manage it.  Sometimes more.  It all depends on what I'm meant to be doing the next day.  Now that I'm unemployed, my usual pattern is to wake up at around 2pm, game and or browse the internet or whatever until about 4 in the morning, switch my TV on to Virgin 1 at 4:10am and set an auto-off timer of 1 hour, then fall asleep watching Takeshi's Castle.

If I'm meant to be awake some time in the morning, then I'll either try and get to sleep a little earlier, or sod it all and get about 4-6 hours kip.  Which is actually the recommended amount of sleep adult humans need, not 8 as is commonly thought. :)

If I'm meant to be awake some time in the morning, then I'll either try and get to sleep a little earlier, or sod it all and get about 4-6 hours kip.  Which is actually the recommended amount of sleep adult humans need, not 8 as is commonly thought. :)

Are you sure about that? I think you would quickly get ill in that case, lack of sleep greatly reduces the imune system.

Of course it is individually, but I think 6-8 hours is the best for a healthy person.

I think you're confused.  There was a recent study which came out claiming that we shouldn't sleep more than 3-4 hours in a row without getting up and moving about for another half hour - an hour before going back to bed for the rest of the night.  This is due to the fact that it's only been fairly recently that we could sleep a night away.  Before the invention of the light, furnaces, etc. you would have to wake up every few hours in order to stoke the fire, feed your babies, etc. and we have evolved the need to wake up every few hours in order to do those things.

However, even that study says you need approx. 7-9 hours of sleep spread out over twelve hours.

I have never heard of a single study that says you should only sleep 4-6 hours a night PERIOD.  That's pretty ridiculous.  The sleep debt you'd gain would be incredible.  Within a couple weeks, without at least one good night of sleep to pay it off, you'd be the mental equivalent of a kid riding the short bus to school.

It's true that the numbers differ from study to study, and indeed, person to person, but I'm not confused.  4-6 hours is the latest of the quoted recommended times.  People who had more than 8 hours per night tended to live shorter lives than those who slept less.

I guess I should sleep more then, but there's so much I like to fit in a day, I don't see the point in spending so much of it asleep, but then if it cuts my life shorter, then perhaps I should sleep more...

EDIT - Just read Dragoon's post, and maybe I shouldn't sleep more, I'm confused.

It's true that the numbers differ from study to study, and indeed, person to person, but I'm not confused.  4-6 hours is the latest of the quoted recommended times.  People who had more than 8 hours per night tended to live shorter lives than those who slept less.

I find that very hard to believe.  Every study I've ever seen all recommend 7-9 hours.  The only one I've ever heard of that said 4-6 is the one I mentioned before, which still said you need 7-9, but that it should be broken up into two or three periods of 3-4 hours.

Well I only had 4 hours last night, but I feel fine this morning.

It sometimes happens to me too, making me wonder how much sleep I actually need. But usually I sleep about 11 hours, given I have that opportunity :) I go to bed around 2-3 o'clock after midnight, unless I've got to get up really early the next day.

However, when I got exams or some other urgent work (like my degree paper I wrote last year), I tend to work at nights (till 5-7 am) and then sleep until 3-4 pm, so my schedule gets totally messed up :)