Should we bring back the "old look" FED2k site?

Edric O

Do you think the main FED2k site should return to its previous layout?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the main FED2k site should return to its previous layout?

• Yes
    • No, keep the current one
    • No, but I don't like the current one either; it needs a major overhaul

There was some discussion about the new website layout in the thread FED2k through the ages. Just about everyone who posted in that thread expressed the opinion that the previous layout we had until 2007 (see it here) was better than the current one, or at least the current one needs major improvements. So here's your chance to vote on the issue. This vote is, of course, not binding upon Gob in any way - but I'm sure he'll take it under advisement. :)

I definitely like the old style better. Probably because it was already there when I signed up :) The new one seems too plain to me.

I wouldn't mind the old style being improved somewhat, if the general look remains the same.

Even though I voted for a return to the oldschool format, I suppose it could do with a little bit of change. It's just so retro and nostalgic...yū no? :)

But I certainly don't like this one. It looks too much like a blog(someone probably already said that). And what about you, Edric? :)

I second this, can we have a poll option for it please.

That's what the third option is for...

But I certainly don't like this one. It looks too much like a blog(someone probably already said that). And what about you, Edric? :)

I really don't like the current look. I would prefer a return to the old one, or at least the integration of some features from the old one into the new one.

I don't really like this poll.  It doesn't take enough into account.  Yes, I much preferred the old layout to the current one.  I understand why Gob made this layout the way it is, I simply think that it failed due to the lack of dune news articles.

However, I believe with the announcement of the new movie and all the ancilliary products which will come with it this format may yet come into its own de to the constantly increasing amounts of news which will be produced.  IF WE, THE STAFF can stay on top of it.

Also, guys, Jesse isn't a uni student anymore.  He doesn't have the time to put into fed2k as he used to (although he probably still spends mroe tiem and effort on this site than he should).  An entire overhaul, unless he's been slowly working on a new layout for awhile now, will take a looooooong time to complete, if it's something he'd even be willing to start.

I'd start slow, myself.  I'd look more to improving this forum.  SMF must have added more features sicne the last time Gob updated this forum, such as a most popular threads in the last 24 hours, week, or month list?  What about weekly summaries of the various forums posted each week in the news (something I tried to start years ago but couldn't get support for)?

Things like that, which can improve the site, it's content, it's usability, and encourage aprticipation without asking Jesse to spend every spare moment of his life for the next couple of months coding a brand new site.

I don't really like this poll.  It doesn't take enough into account.  Yes, I much preferred the old layout to the current one.  I understand why Gob made this layout the way it is, I simply think that it failed due to the lack of dune news articles.

However, I believe with the announcement of the new movie and all the ancilliary products which will come with it this format may yet come into its own de to the constantly increasing amounts of news which will be produced.  IF WE, THE STAFF can stay on top of it.

Also, guys, Jesse isn't a uni student anymore.  He doesn't have the time to put into fed2k as he used to (although he probably still spends mroe tiem and effort on this site than he should).  An entire overhaul, unless he's been slowly working on a new layout for awhile now, will take a looooooong time to complete, if it's something he'd even be willing to start.

I'd start slow, myself.  I'd look more to improving this forum.  SMF must have added more features sicne the last time Gob updated this forum, such as a most popular threads in the last 24 hours, week, or month list?  What about weekly summaries of the various forums posted each week in the news (something I tried to start years ago but couldn't get support for)?

Things like that, which can improve the site, it's content, it's usability, and encourage aprticipation without asking Jesse to spend every spare moment of his life for the next couple of months coding a brand new site.

I fully understand what you are saying, but in my mind, and in the minds of others, there should be more content on the front page, that was present in old layouts.  Stuff like who's online on the forums, a list of most recent forum topics, most downloaded items, even release dates of Dune related stuff.   

As for the new SMF features, I posted a load of them in the Site Updates quite recently, so there is some stuff available.  I appreciate Gob doesn't have the time any more, and I am thankful that he has kept the site going, so perhaps if other members prepared an alternative layout for the site, so all Gob has to do is upload it?  I think the hardest thing to do (from my point of view) is implementing these features which rely on data from the forum.  I don't know who'd have the time to do this though, perhaps Thumper?

At the end of this week, I will have a lot more time, and I will try to do these weekly reviews of the forum topics, providing everyone keeps providing me with enough content to review.

I'm not disagreeing with your wish for more content on the front page.  I, too, preferred how the old layout was chalk full of information.  I think the front page does hide the wealth of knowledge and the importance of this forum to any outsider who randomly finds FED2k.  But I don't think that's going to change any time soon, and I sincerely doubt Gob is going to allow anyone else to edit the actual site (nor do I blame him, I wouldn't if I was in his position either). 

The best solution, to my mind, is to try and work around it.  Post the weekly summaries.  Reference the forum and other sections of FED2k on the news page.  Keep updating the front page so that people keep coming back and decide to explore more of the site. 

I don't think that a major over haul, with all the inherent glitches, is what FED2k needs right now.

Edit:  I do think it is necessary to increase the number of news posts on the main page from five to at least ten.  More preferably, to use a dating system where the front page contains all news articles posted in the previous thirty days, as well as links at the bottom to the news childboard and news archives.

To me, the fundamental problem with the site is that it does not look like a community site. Details on downloads, topics, etc. are very important distinctions that separate a community site from a random personel fan site.

I'm ambivalent, I don't mind. I'd say the old one if need be. As some mentioned I think, if something can be better then it's about content (news are great, and it's more about regularity than quantity I think).

I like the idea of having more information available, like who's online and how many are viewing a topic at any given time.

I don't mind the visual layout of the current design. it's less cluttered than many internet forums, and I find the colors quite soothing.  Those are silly reasons but that's just how I feel.

In the end it sounds like a whatever is most manageable as far as coding goes will be the best option.

There's a list of SMF features.  I've noticed that SMF 1.1.5 is available too.

If we are brainstorming on new additions to the website, I got a small one too.

I think it would be nice to have one page with lots of info. Something about latest post, latest topics, who is online, news on mods and dune, quick wiki links, search boxes for forum and wiki with suggestions, personal list of favourite topics and perhaps integrated chat function for chatroom (but this last one might get messy in usage and coding).

I'm working on inputting all the data from the Duniverse section into the Wiki.  I'm starting on the Emperor info at the moment.

http://wiki.dune2k.com/Emperor:_Battle_for_Dune_Structures

http://wiki.dune2k.com/Emperor:_Battle_for_Dune_Base_Defences

I still need to add the pictures, but I'll leave that until the end.  I want little logos next to each picture, indicating which House/Subhouse can build the structure/unit.

I know... That's why my vote goes towards bringing back the old version rather than a major overhaul of the current one. Any overhaul, or the creation of a whole new layout, would require a lot of work and a lot of time. It is better to bring back the old layout because that would be much faster and would hopefully not require too much effort.