Women: Can't live with 'em.

Vanguard3000

Sorry, dudes, but I need to get this off my chest, and it's a little too late to call up one of my friends and rant at them until they hang up on me.

So I was at this party this evening, and there was this girl there.  She was cute, and seemed intelligent, interesting, and sociable.  She seemed to be a really good girl.  And I don't mean good as in "I read my bible every day, go to church every Sunday, and am saving myself for marriage" good; I just mean she wasn't just one of those faces in the crowd, you know?  Like, even if I weren't at a party where the pickings were admittedly slim (most of them are my friends; several of them married or engaged), I would have actively noticed her, which is uncommon for me... despite my many failings, I still manage to be an incredibly picky fellow.

The trouble was her dick of a boyfriend.  As soon as they got there, he went over to the TV, which we had switched on to the Habs game temporarily to see the score, and literally sat there watching the game until it had ended.  In the middle of a party!  The guy who wanted to check the score only wanted it on for a moment to check the score, and he was socializing while he was doing it.  But I digress.  The entire time he was there, he just sat around watching TV until the game had ended, then he went off somewhere.  On the rare occasion he opened his mouth to speak, it further solidified my running theory that he was merely a hair's breadth above total idiocy.  And if I hadn't been told he was dating this girl, I would never have guessed it.  Now, I hate it when couples are all over each other during social gatherings, but you should at least be able to tell they're in a relationship with each other.

"What," you may be asking me, "in blue blazes are you talking about, you handsome and charming devil?"  Well, sirs, what I am talking about is perhaps an age-old and oft-asked question:  Why is it that good girls always end up with dickheads?  I'm not saying she was the perfect woman, or the girl of my dreams (one reason being that I never remember my dreams).  I'm not even saying she'd be better off with me.  All I'm saying is she can bloody well do better!

My entire life, it's naturally been my goal to [sincerely] be a good, upstanding person.  I try very hard to be honourable, and like to think I succeed at it most of the time.  And maybe I'm being a bit bitter in my ripe old age of 24, but it's beginning to occur to me that nobody trusts the good guy, for fear that he might be an asshole pretending to be a good guy.  And really, why should they?  It makes sense:  If I were an asshole, I'd pretend to be a good guy.  But when a genuinely good guy comes along, they get no respect.  It just sucks, is all.

So please don't mind the exorbitantly cynical manner in which I'm phrasing this, but what I'm asking you good folks - and I really hope the few female members here are willing to add their two cents - is:  What the hell is the God damned point in being a good guy when all the good girls are dating assholes?

P.S. I AM DRUNK I THINK GOOD NIGHT.

You misnamed this topic, it sounds like you liked this girl, if the guy's such an a-hole then you or someone should of said something to his girlfriend. At my school, the "bad girls" are dating the "bad boys" and the "good girls" are dating the "good boys", but I highly doubt all schools are like this, I mean, I heard that this school (which was an ALL girls school) had like, 150 or 250 pregnant girls, and I was like "WTF!".

ahh I know how you feel. I have seen it happen quite a lot. Usually from what I gather, women want to find a man who is assertive, someone who can take care of himself (and the woman who is with him, but this isnt usually said). Also they are more of a challange, something dominant that has to be striven for. I am pretty clueless though and I am not sure if I am even getting near the mark. I am sorry to hear of these things my friend. I have luckily found a woman who is strong, independant, beautiful and intelligent. She has had a phase of picking up men who fell along this kind of vein, perhaps I can ask her to get some insight into the whole matter. You are a cool guy! I know you will find only the best. You also are peculiar, a bit different, but that is a very good thing! There will be women who will see and respect all of the mundane and truly unique things about you. Hang in there man!

I will end this with the quote that all true nerds live by.

Go Beta-Males!

argh that was pretty damn corny.lol Dont sweat the drunken rant dude, we all have been there. Lord knows I have.lol

Did you watch the game Vanguard? It was pretty good. But the habs blew it.

Ahead 3-1, then philly score 3 goals in 3 minutes!? Almost choked as bad as Ottawa :P.

Yes, I hate it when girls end up with dickheads. And yes I hate it when couples go to social gatherings and just end up clinging each other all night (get over yourselves and wait till you get home).

Nothing wrong with a couple going to a social event and hanging out with different people though. I mean if they spend all day together I can't see why they would want to socialize with each other at a party :P

Now, I hate it when couples are all over each other during social gatherings, but you should at least be able to tell they're in a relationship with each other.

Yep true.

I'd go for gamma.

I think that some project alot about themselves, and it's easier for anyone (not just girls) to get along quickly around them. Some are also made "greater than great" by others around who project themselves with them (the quick social fix). So they have some narcissic people (which seem to go "batteries included") who take this as attention to their greatness.

Now I'm not too sure they are nice to stay with. I guess that they have the same challenges as anyone else there.

I remember a girl who was with the top "I'm-so-mature" guy of the bunch, and she was one of the nicest (I'd almost add timidest). She seemed to be in a dream with him, but I'm not too sure how the dream fitted reality (if the guy fitted the dream). Seeing the guy -who I knew minimally-, I think he seemed in full illusion himself (you know... bikes+beer+girls = "oh I got the three? It means that I'm happy. Hey everybody, I'm happy-n-party-ready!").

I think this is what I've seen around but those are just parts glimpsed without caring a lot about this social scene (hencefore gamma).

So please don't mind the exorbitantly cynical manner in which I'm phrasing this, but what I'm asking you good folks - and I really hope the few female members here are willing to add their two cents - is:  What the hell is the God damned point in being a good guy when all the good girls are dating assholes?

A female perspective

Hmm... My first drunken rant.  I think it went well.

Kirby:  Well, bear in mind that real life doesn't work like... well, like your imagination.  I hardly know either the girl in question, nor her boyfriend.  The impression I got of him was that of dickheadery; for all I know, he's a stand-up guy with an unhealthy addiction to hockey and/or television (although that's not what I had heard about him).  In any case, it's not my place to say anything at all, much less at a party full of people.

Also, a school with 150 pregnant students, Utah jokes aside, is probably just a rumour or gross eggageration.  I hope.

TMA:  I'm sorry too, but for her.  Like I said, she'd probably be no better off with me than the other guy.  My impression was that she could do a lot better than the gomer she's with.  And spend more time on MSN, fool!

Gunner:  Charlie is part of the phonetic alphabet (in which case it would usually be "bravo" rather than "beta"); I think what you're looking for is "gamma", unless there's a joke there I'm not getting.  And yes, we are true nerds.  All of us.  Shmaa.

Andrew:  I wasn't there to watch the game; you totally missed the point of my rant!  That is, if there was one to miss.  Heh, anyway, when a goal was scored, we did stop to check it out.  It's a shame the Habs are out, but I could have sworn it was 5-4.  And no, they were nowhere near as bad as Ottawa.  Thanks for reminding me.  Also, for some reason, you just made me lose The Game.

Egeides:  Uh... so you're saying she's an extrovert and he's an introvert?  I understand that, but there's a difference between being an introvert and being a social retard.  In any case, if you could clarify, that's be awesome.

Hwi:  No; you're absolutely right.  Men love bitches just as much as women like assholes.  It makes me throw up in the back of my throat a little, but it's true.  And I get the "bad boy" attraction thing.  Everybody loves to take a walk on the wild side.  And I think it's a necessary thing.  Without it, something sleeps inside us... and seldom awakens...

Ahem.

I agree that the chase is important, at least for a while.  But the couple in question, from what I gathered, had been together for some time.  One of them has already caught the other.  Maybe that's their problem, if there is one.

Hey wait... are you telling me to run away from women?

Mahdi:  Are you coming on to me?  Is "watching Dune" a euphemism?  Don't get me wrong - either way, I'm there.  I just want to know if I should wear clean underwear.

I wasn't joking about the pregnancy thing Vangaurd... I saw it in some statistics thing...

Hmm... My first drunken rant.  I think it went well.

Kirby:  Well, bear in mind that real life doesn't work like... well, like your imagination.  I hardly know either the girl in question, nor her boyfriend.  The impression I got of him was that of dickheadery; for all I know, he's a stand-up guy with an unhealthy addiction to hockey and/or television (although that's not what I had heard about him).  In any case, it's not my place to say anything at all, much less at a party full of people.

Sorry, what I mean't to say was, I'm surprised no one said anything to her about her joke of a boyfriend.

I really don't get what some people see in each other.

Incidentally, I wouldn't say all of us are geeks on this site.  What's all this alpha/beta/gamma male stuff?  I've heard of alpha males, but not beta or gamma males.

Sorry, what I mean't to say was, I'm surprised no one said anything to her about her joke of a boyfriend.

Maybe people had.  She was a friend of one of my friends.  If my friend noticed he wasn't a very good guy (and I think she had noticed for some time), she may well have said something years ago to her.  Doesn't mean she has to listen.

And hey, maybe I'm just getting the wrong impression of him, and I'm the asshole.  For all I know, he treats her like a queen, but was in a funk that day.  But I do intend to bring it up to my friend sometime, casually.  I don't expect anything significant will come of it, but at the very least I might get some piece of mind.

I really don't get what some people see in each other.

I guess that's the way of the world.  The important thing is that they do see it.  I guess.

Incidentally, I wouldn't say all of us are geeks on this site.  What's all this alpha/beta/gamma male stuff?  I've heard of alpha males, but not beta or gamma males.

Yes we are.  We get together to talk about Dune, either as books, or as video games.  We're geeks.  But that's okay, because geeks are in these days.

The "alpha male" is the most dominant male in a pack, correct?  The most able to assert it's strength/power/"manhood".  Naturally, those less able to do so would be the betas, while the gammas are the least assertive.  Think of it this way:  When you train a dog, the idea is to make it realize that it is the gamma - not only below it's master, but also below any "betas" in the household (e.g. children; guests; etc).

Yes we are.  We get together to talk about Dune, either as books, or as video games.  We're geeks.  But that's okay, because geeks are in these days.

The "alpha male" is the most dominant male in a pack, correct?  The most able to assert it's strength/power/"manhood".  Naturally, those less able to do so would be the betas, while the gammas are the least assertive.  Think of it this way:  When you train a dog, the idea is to make it realize that it is the gamma - not only below it's master, but also below any "betas" in the household (e.g. children; guests; etc).

The only thing is you need to be an OC geek to be in. Which isn't many geeks that I've ever seen and I like to surround myself with them. I just hope we can agree to be Omega men, because that just sounds cool.

Anyway Vanguard you handsome bastard you should know you don't have to mourn the loss of what you never had, besides the next party you can always try being a jerk if you want, I think there may be something in it.

Keep your pecker up!

Are you coming on to me?

Nah mate, I'm already in a relationship.  Besides, as feminine as your features are, you're not quite my type

Is "watching Dune" a euphemism?

Only is you say "If you know what I mean" afterwards.

Don't get me wrong - either way, I'm there.

Damnit, now I owe Shannon $10!  No, I said, he's not gay, he's just really into mens fashion!  Bah, last time I take that bet!

I just want to know if I should wear clean underwear.

Well, the room does have poor ventilation, so I'd say, yes, wear clean underwear.

Omega wolves are the lowest in the pack. Just so's you know.

That's what I was going for but it slightly sounds like we're going to be the last one's left, a la Omega Man the film.

I thought gamma totally outside networks and something like last one

*googles wolves+omega*

Vanguard:

To start with, I wasn't focusing on introvert guy and extrovert girl.

Some guys would be good in a curriculum or interview. Also being like that in society, people around expect that someone looking so good delivers the goods along with it. Making things worst when it turns bad (jerks), everyone around reinforces that by giving some actual social power/coolness to them.

Some girls can go towards these men quicker - they look good quickly, at first look - but I don't think it means everything once they start knowing them in a relation (ie. jerks get flushed unless they imprison others in illusions).

Basically, what Hwi wrote is not far at all from my thinking - it's just written better :'(

(thanks God we have women to communicate, eh Hwi? ;))