Bring it Back to Life!!!!

Weeman06

It's not dead. i mean we're still here, but very few. creating a new site won't help anything...

i really miss the politics thread. people simply are'nt interested anymore. "back in the day" it was insane... but at that time there was the invasion of Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. 

• Upvote 2

I see a decent amount of news on reddit and other places that's dune related. I sent a message to gob about taking over posting news on the front page. He hasn't responded in two weeks.

This sites dead, we need to come up with an alternative. The great zensunni migration if you will.

I don't know about you, but for my part, I stay interested in Dune because I visit this forum, not the other way around (visiting the forum because I'm still interested in Dune). FED2k isn't really a place I go for Dune stuff, it's a place I go to stay in touch with a community I love.

In other words, to me, this site isn't just a means to get Dune news - it is an end in itself. We have to revitalize FED2k. Moving anywhere else is absolutely not an option.

You're right that Gob doesn't respond all that quickly, due to RL obligations... So one step towards revitalizing FED2k could be to get someone on staff who can check the site every day and respond to questions and proposals immediately.

• Upvote 2

I don't know about you, but for my part, I stay interested in Dune because I visit this forum, not the other way around (visiting the forum because I'm still interested in Dune). FED2k isn't really a place I go for Dune stuff, it's a place I go to stay in touch with a community I love.

In other words, to me, this site isn't just a means to get Dune news - it is an end in itself. We have to revitalize FED2k. Moving anywhere else is absolutely not an option.

You're right that Gob doesn't respond all that quickly, due to RL obligations... So one step towards revitalizing FED2k could be to get someone on staff who can check the site every day and respond to questions and proposals immediately.

true gobalopper is comming rarely but do not replace him... even i dont see anyone onlyn... After my topic became a debate i come everyday just to checkup on it... And i dont see anyone but "guests" onlyn...

Well, don't be surprised. We are in a time of the year where we all do other stuff.

Christmas and New year are holidays you spend with family, not the forum.

1 month ago there where quite a few that where "spamming" threads as well. Me included. And lets not forget, you AQIB. :)

But it's time for holidays. Buying presents, making sure your part in the company keeps working, planning date's to come together for celebrations. Etc.

We all know that the decline in the life of FED2k occurred when the majority of active old-timers, like Dante and Wolf, stopped visiting and/or posting here - I think they still communicate via other means like Facebook though. This, in turn, was caused by the conflict with certain members - nomina sunt odiosa - which partly coincided with the change in forum software and appearance, with the old forum look we all know and love gone for good.

Unless there are active discussions - of Dune or whatever - the situation will not change for the better. Perhaps getting in contact with the old-timers and inviting them to visit the forums again would be a good idea?

• 2 weeks later...

It's not that easy to revive a forum that started (as far as I know) as a fanpage for an upcoming game (Dune2000). The maine problem is (I think) that there's no more games coming out. While Dune 2000, Emperor: Battle for Dune and Frank Herbert's Dune were produced and launched and DISCOVERED people gathered here to discuss this. Probably the site would have had more vibrant life if Dune Generations would've been launched.

I mean we need a focal point around here. We need new things. Maybe the concept of Dune has to be evolved into something new...

I thought this forum was for anything related to dune. Anything.

Including: Novels, Mods, Maps, Indie Games, TV series, TV movies, etc.

So if something new comes out, and one of the members here posts about it. Then it would immediately be an addition to this forum, for new members to join as well.

The maine problem is (I think) that there's no more games coming out.
This is totally off the mark. People who had been at the core of the forum life here have long outgrown games as their top priority interest. As I've said above, it's an unfortunate coincidence of forums software change, conflict with certain aggressive newcomers, and an overall downslide of the mood (and also maybe insufficient support on the part of the administrators and moderators in said conflict) are the main factors that have led to the general decline of activity on the part of some (most) of the key members.
Maybe the concept of Dune has to be evolved into something new...
I wonder what you mean by that? ???

Depends on when exactly you think the forum 'died'.  The last few active in prp went mia recently but the forum was already pretty deserted by then; it's fair to attribute that to the absence of a new dune game. Had quite few people on messenger from here, whose chief interest was gaming - noone has used that in years.

I thought this forum was for anything related to dune. Anything.

Including: Novels, Mods, Maps, Indie Games, TV series, TV movies, etc.

Anderson and Brian Herbert published a number of Dune novels over the years (they still are? I 'm guessing) but it's clear noone here was particularly interested in those, other than to rant against.

• Upvote 1

Depends on when exactly you think the forum 'died'.
Well, I'd venture that the forum indeed has several sub-communities, with some of the members participating in more than one community depending on their interests: online Dune games, Dune game modding, book discussion, gaming discussion, PRP (I really don't discover anything new here). I feel that the "true" core members who are no longer active are those who had discussed books and participated in PRP debates - Edric O, Dante, Wolf. I remember Dante and Wolf had openly expressed displeasure at the atmosphere that had evolved in PRP, and to some extent in other areas (General Discussion and Dune Discussion), due to certain nomina sunt odiosa members.

I have absolutely no idea if online games of EBfD and Dune2k had declined recently, since I don't play online. I remember only a few old-timers who used to be active in both online Dune games sub-forums, and general/book discussion sections, and those had not been active in a long, long while.

Which is really very pity because I remember the atmosphere here when I had just registered (2004-2005), when the forums and the site made an impression of a solid, well-established community with its own traditions, "had to be there" moments, in-jokes etc. etc. I sure miss the good old days even though I'm not as much an old-timer as the guys who had been here from the start.

Well, I was here mostly for the PRP and fan fiction pages. That's why I said the concept of the whole thing has to change, to evolve, because as Gob said people grew older. I remember PRP being incredibly active. I actually remember when Gob made the PRP and how the PRP name came to be. Those were great days exactly because we were younger and we were expecting some games to come out etc. etc. And the SciFi channel movies came out quite at the same time. 

I bet if a new Dune game would come out there will be renewed activity here discussing the gameplay, artwork, how alike it is to the books, etc. For example, if I'll ever manage to advance my M&B mod enough to launch it as a test or whatever I bet there'll be some people that will try it and discuss it. But if nothing much comes out (fan fiction, artwork, etc.) it's hard to find a focal point.

• Upvote 1

But if nothing much comes out (fan fiction, artwork, etc.) it's hard to find a focal point.
I dunno, my impression had always been that people who frequented PRP had a sort of a habit to come here, read the new posts and maybe throw in their own two cents - whether the topic was discussing the events in Iraq, some ethical issues, Frank's books, games, or bashing Kevin. At any rate, this is how it worked for me - I'd go to the FED2k Forums page first every time I connected to the Internet.

Again, maybe it's my own personal slant here but I don't think the release of a new game would play a critical role in reinvigorating forum activity. After all, the Dune modding community is pretty active, and Dune II remakes like OpenDUNE and Dune Dynasty have been successfully developed and released recently, yet that only caught interest of hard-core Dune II players. There's also some active modding of Dune 2000, although I don't follow that closely since I'm not much of a fan. All that in spite of the fact that, as I suppose, all the old-timers who joined here back when Dune 2000 was still new, were avid Dune II and Dune 2000 players.

Same way, there's active discussion of FH's books at Jacurutu, people there do all kinds of research etc., and the fact that even KJA&BH haven't released anything for a considerable time already doesn't interfere with the activity there.

It's the community itself that is responsible for whether it will flourish or decline, not some external events like the release of a new book/game/movie etc. etc.

How about, something new in dune is a necessary, but not sufficient condition :D .

Those still interested in dune2/dune2k/their mods and remakes, are a niche audience. A modern dune game would presumably attract a different - and bigger - crowd.

Just 2 idea's.

How about a Dune textbased game? Kinda on the level just like O-game in number of players. But not necessary the same rules.

Influence to the forum: People would post about battle's, once again discus build ups and other strategies. And post new idea's to this game. Someone, create this Dune game?

Further more, until now I have only found 1 fan made comic regarding Dune. Why isn't there more? There are 10.000+ forums running on several other comics and manga for discussions, predictions or character favourites.. Someone create a comic or manga based on Dune?

What's holding you back? ;)

We tried once to play a game of dune risk, it didn't work out all that well. And then, why bother making an ogame clone, when there's ogame? There were a few of us playing that back in 05, together with some from gameheaven.nl (gryphon & nyar's nest); we even had a clan. That's indeed one thing that could be done - pick a game and have a fed2k clan/guild. But then you get people with different playtimes/ambitions, so it doesn't always work out.

I didn't say that we should play O-game. Or a clone of it. (O-game rules suck)

O-game is the most known example in text based games. That's why I mentioned O-game.

I doubt if people play Tiberian Wars or PlayTEQ.

Different universe, different rules, Not O-game. Just a Dune game, that is text based.