Movies other than Dune

Acriku

I just returned from the cinema watching Terminator Salvation... I don't know... it wasn't really bad but I guess I expected more. To be honest I think the tv series was more interesting.

Hopefully transformers 2 is good.

guess again... ;)

Didn't like TS. To much action and no story. The Hangover was enjoyfull though.

Vek, did you by any change see Der Baader Meinhof Komplex or Das Leben der Anderen. I saw them both last year, still two of the best movies I've seen that year.

Just bought the movie Amelie last weekend. Great

and intriguing play. :)

That was on TV one late night, too late to watch it all. Very interesting and wierd movie. But I liked it. I wanted to watch it since it was rated high on IMDB (45th place).

Didn't like TS. To much action and no story.

Funny, I thought it was just the other way around. Too much unnecessary story that had a lot of flaws in it and not enough action. I didn't read anything about the story before so I was rather looking forward to the actual war between men and machine (like they advertised). So I expected to get started even earlier... a short while after judgement day maybe, seeing how the actual types of machines are being developed, how skynet spreads around the globe, guerilla war fights... stuff like that. I was expecting some kind of vietnam movie in the future I guess.

Vek, did you by any change see Der Baader Meinhof Komplex or Das Leben der Anderen. I saw them both last year, still two of the best movies I've seen that year.

I have seen Der Baader Meinhof Komplex a while ago. It's a good movie about an interesting past, especially if you live around here. Haven't seen the other movie though. I know most people liked it and I'm sure I will watch it in in the near future.

• 2 months later...

I've seen The Lives Of Others (Der Leben der Anderen), I've got it on DVD and I think its a great film, very powerful.  Amelie is a very quirky film, seen it a few times.

District 9 being heavily promoted. Looks good, and I like scifis.

rottentomatoes has it at 88% which is good.

imdb.com has it at 90% which is extremely good (currently #78 best movie ever).

damn I'm gonna have to go see it.

gryphon, when you say horrifying, do you mean terrible or scary? Looks like a horror film so not sure if you mean a pun or something.

Certainly hope it's gonna be worth all the promotion they are giving it. So far I enjoyed the short movies that where made before it got funding from Peter Jackson. Hope they didn't overdo it.

Well, Eden lake.. . I live next to the cinema so tend to be there more then in front of my telly. We went to Eden Like to kill some time we had left over. Surprisingly I loved the film. It is a small production horror movie with a horrible realism in it. It makes you sick, wan'ne vomit and puts you on the edge of your seat for the whole film. And yet, it has something utterly realistic in it. It's about small things that escalate in such a way you can expect them to (I know some might disagree but hey that's live) and then afterwards think back on how the h*ll it has come that this. For me it is one of the best films ever because it captures realism at it's worst and yet in such a way nothing seems to have been hyped or exaggerated.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watched Transformers 2.

What a terrible movie. No story whatsoever.

I couldn't understand what was going on most of the time.

The fights suck because I have no idea who is who (all the decepticons look alike). And shaky cam at different angles make it all crappy.

First movie was much better.

I didn't bother watching the second one, since the original Transformers made such a bad impression on me. All Transformer characters look disgusting, both the good guys and the baddies, and nothing like the original toys. Human characters are boring and cilche'd, and the whole story is just ridiculous.

I don't like Megan Fox. There are much better looking women in the film business, I really don't know why she's so popular. Probably because all the hardcore nerds who never watch any "real" movies pushed her to fame with their blogging on the internet lol  ::)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anybody familiar with director/writer Park Chan-Wook? Just finished his "Vengeance Trilogy" in the order of Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and finally Lady Vengeance. Fantastic films all with their own unique story of the blurred lines of morality crossing over revenge and justice.

My favorite of the three was Oldboy simply because I loved not having a clear idea who Park wanted the good guy to be and who he wanted the bad guy to be. It's a tale of a man getting kidnapped and held prisoner for 15 years without ever knowing who or why. When he is released without reason, he decides to find out who it was and take revenge. The movie is most famous for one scene of a long hallway fight that has no cuts whatsoever, involving 20+ people! I heard the dub for Oldboy was simply a riot, so be sure to check out the subs first!

My favorite quote from the "protagonist" of Oldboy when writing a list of who he had wronged in order to find out who might be behind it all:

I thought I had lived a normal life... But there was too much wrongdoing.

My second favorite was Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (the first of the three that was made) because you're connected emotionally to everyone and each violent scene feels raw on your vulnerable state. A deaf/dumb brother Ryu is lead to kidnapping his former employer's daughter in order to ransom for the money required to get a new kidney for his sister. Things fall apart and the whole movie is a twist of back-and-forth vengeance. The acting is superb as well.

My least favorite was Lady Vengeance but don't take that as a sign of the quality of this film. It's a more visually-stimulating movie than the others but the line is more clear with what is right and wrong. It's a great way to tell a story that leads you to stand up with the victims in their emotional climax. The story follows a young woman who goes to jail for smothering a little boy, and while in prison decides to plan how to get back at this man who ruined her life. I had to watch it twice to really get all of the details.

What I love as well is how you'll see someone from one movie in another, completely different role. South Korean director Park reuses the talent he finds in his movies and well enough that you never see them for their previous characters. I'm about to see another of his films, Thirst, which I hope to be as enjoyable as his three here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Smokin' Aces, and enjoyed it more than expected.

The Tremor brothers are the best!!!

Watching

*Warning*

People who suffer from entomophobia may find the video disturbing.

That actually looks really interesting, I might have to watch it.  Is it all on youtube?