Muhammad Cartoons Censored

Not related to Cartoons, but still interesting.

Sikh school children are now allowed to bring knives to school in Canada

Orthodox Sikhs, who make up about 10 per cent of the estimated 250,000 Sikhs in Canada, are required by their religion to wear the kirpan at all times.

Umm.

I think I'll start up a religion that allows me to blow coke and fondle hookers while at school.

Not that I think they will use the knives against anyone, but what about the crazy kids that see a knife and want to stab someone? Or maybe an accident while playing tackle football?

I remember students in the US getting suspended for bringing butter knives to school.

• 1 year later...

Clearly those Islamists who make such a big deal about some simple cartoons have serious issues.

However, printing these cartoons is the equivalent of shouting "f*ck you!" at Muslims. Yes, free speech does include the right to shout "f*ck you!" as much as you want, but people who do that sort of thing are not usually seen as great champions of freedom. They are seen as rude and inconsiderate. Perhaps this cartoonist shouldn't be seen as such a great champion of freedom either.

This hasn't hit the news so much, but I expect as more and more people here about these, we'll see more protests against Denmark again.Ā  I just hope the scenes outside the Danish embassy in London wont be repeated, with people dressing as suicide bombers.Ā  Shouldn't this thread be in PRP by the way?

The press has every right to shout "F*ck you!" at Muslims. Muslims attempted to censor free speech by threatening and creating terrorism.

If they do not print the cartoons then the radical Muslims won, and no one will dare attempt to criticize them again out of fear for their lives.

It's pretty bad when the government has to put people in protection programs because they publicly do not agree with Islam. Radical Muslims will and do kill people for doing so. Just look at Theo van Gogh.

Radical Muslims are sending the message that if you criticize them they will kill you. And by not allowing any public criticism, that means radical muslims have won.

People criticize the Catholic Church all the time, but you don't see them being murdered. Radical Muslims are trying to force their culture onto western countries. If they do not like free speech then maybe they should not move to non-Islam countries.

The press has every right to shout "F*ck you!" at Muslims. Muslims attempted to censor free speech by threatening and creating terrorism.

16% of the population of the world attempted to censor free speech by threatening and creating terrorism? Oh really? That's like saying you have every right to shout "F*ck you!" at random Americans if you don't like Bush.

...and it's true, you do have that right. But just because you have a right to do something like that doesn't make you any less of a bigoted jerk if you do it.

If they do not print the cartoons then the radical Muslims won, and no one will dare attempt to criticize them again out of fear for their lives.

I am of the opinion that we should refrain from mocking other people's religions out of respect.

And by not allowing any public criticism, that means radical muslims have won.

Who said anything about not allowing public criticism? That Danish cartoonist has every right to publish his cartoons, and I have every right to call him an asshole for doing so.

There is a difference between saying "you are allowed to do X" and saying "it is a good thing to do X." I think people should be allowed to mock Islam, but I don't think it is a good thing when they do it.

Was it really mocking Islam, when the radical muslims actually proved some of the cartoons were correct (for radicals) when protesting?

It would kinda be like if I were to draw a cartoon depicting a priest molesting a child, then to protest the radical priests go and molest children.

Was it really mocking Islam, when the radical muslims actually proved some of the cartoons were correct (for radicals) when protesting?

It would kinda be like if I were to draw a cartoon depicting a priest molesting a child, then to protest the radical priests go and molest children.

No, because the cartoons depicted the Prophet Muhammad, not Osama Bin Laden or any other Muslim, extremist or not. Therefore the proper comparison is not with a Christian priest, but with Jesus. It would kinda be like if you were to draw a cartoon depicting Jesus molesting a child.

"It would kinda be like if you were to draw a cartoon depicting Jesus molesting a child."

How much do you want to bet that this has already been done? In these days, it wouldnt surprise me.

It reminds me of a southpark episode where they intentionally show Jesus in a disgusting way, and then show mohammed as well. the funny thing was is that they werent allowed to show the images of mohammed, and yet they could easily show the offensive images of the christ... was a clever move on tray parker and matt stone's part.

What is the nature of the cartoons? If it's just some guy randomly insulting and mocking Mohammed then indeed it seems he is an @$$ to do so. One could argue that stopping production of such cartoons would be surrendering freedom of speech, but do we really need to assert the totality of our freedom of speech by spouting random insults?

The totality of a countries' freedom of speech can be made evident through the justified and purposeful deriding of wrong doers with great power.

If it is only the radicals being mocked then that is one thing, but if the cartoons simply insult muslims and their religions then that is another.

They are seen as rude and inconsiderate. Perhaps this cartoonist shouldn't be seen as such a great champion of freedom either.

You're right. But if I lived in Denmark, I'd "defend" these cartoonists because I won't accept that my country's government should do anything about them, or that they should have to deliver a formal apology for something that one of its citizens has said or drawn. Drawing and printing such cartoons is legal over here, and people who are offended by it may voice their discontent but must ultimately accept that it's okay to such things over here, and that it won't change.

And it's not as if certain muslims aren't making the most of their freedom as well: these past few years I've seen some pretty disgusting cartoons made by people who explicitly said that it was a reaction to Muhammed cartoons, such as one depicting Adolph Hitler in bed with Anne Frank.

I think people should be allowed to mock Islam, but I don't think it is a good thing when they do it.

Agreed.

Personally I think that the cartoons offered the perfect way out of this argument themselves. They were rubbish. Lets not beat about the bush, they had no artistic merit, they weren't at all satirical. Of course the cartoonists had the right to make them, but they shouldn't in the same way that cheese music shouldn't be played. Questioning, debating, challenging any religion should always be welcomed, God doesn't need to be protected anyway, but to attack a religion, or at least its followers, is pointless.

The cartoons brought nothing to any debate.