Muhammad Cartoons Censored

provocateurs are praised at times for stirring up the nest of taboos. I am surprised that so many of you are so critical of the cartoons. (indeed they are not that great, I totally agree) But provoking and incensing people in order to expose mindless taboos is such a common thing these days. I cannot tell you how many times Ive seen western christianity used as a brunt for ridicule and laughter, and yet you dont have the same kind of outcry as you do in these scenarios being discussed.

the folks who are enraged by the anti-muslim jokes are muslims who are not very integrated into western society. They are going to be more sensitive to attacks thrown against their reason for being. After all, they are either new to the west, or have seperated themselves from its desensitization.

I think there is a difference between a joke made at the expense of the privileged and a joke made at the expense of the oppressed.

The cartoons have to be taken in context of a background of islamophobia in the west - and overtones of that is clearly visible in most of the cartoons. Resentment against christianity also exists, of course, but given the power of evangelical groups in the US, and the Church of England (Bishops in the House of Lords) over here, and the various institutions across Europe, it's of a somewhat different character than picking on the (largely) foreign-born, different-looking, working-class people who already get enough suspicious looks thanks to the low-level muslim/terrorist association going on in the media.

It appears that people in Denmark have been rioting for 5 straight days because of the reprinting of the cartoons (and possibly deportation of two immigrants that planned to kill the cartoonist).

google news

link

The exact cause of the riots remains unclear.

One social worker suggested the rioters were reacting to what he called "discriminatory treatment" from the police.

Umm... Doesn't look discriminatory to me. Once again they are proving the islam=violence prejudice.

Also in middle east they are protesting.

Anyone from Denmark have any real news?

the riots started before the re-prints. No one really knows why, if it was boredom, racial discrimation (the police hitting hard on the hash dealers, is now racial discrimination) or what not. In my opinion they are fucked up, and gangster wannabe's the whole lot, and I'm sick and tired of them. They are giving all immigrants a bad name.

The two tunesians was expelled due to "evidence" that they were planning a murder on one of the cartoonists.

Now I understand why this thread is on and on... they reprinted. I think that as a second publication, they might have done it hiding the faces: some kind of "we make clear our vow of not self-censoring, yet understand the situationmade difficult and since it's republication we won't get over it twice". A bit hard to claim "we disagree but still understand you [non-radicals]" in such circumstances though...

They'll do cartoons about those killing cartoonists now :-X

Did any of you lot here about the teddy bear called Mohammed?

That whole affair was just plain retarded. Calling a teddybear Mohammed is a blasphemy? That's bad news for the millions of parents who have named their boy after their prophet.

Plus it wasn't even the teacher who selected the name.

I think there is a difference between a joke made at the expense of the privileged and a joke made at the expense of the oppressed.

I agree, though I do not believe any religion could be called "privileged" in Europe.

...picking on the (largely) foreign-born, different-looking, working-class people who already get enough suspicious looks thanks to the low-level muslim/terrorist association going on in the media.

That's the problem. Both Western Islamophobia and Islamism itself serve to promote hatred and segregation, and they drive a wedge between different groups of workers in Europe.

The irony is that all those people complaining about the nasty foreigners taking their jobs and driving down wages wouldn't have anything to worry about if they stood together with the foreign workers in the same unions to demand better pay and conditions.

at least Britain has peaceful Muslims that have been assimilated into society.

Oh wait...

[image]

Whenever I see a picture of that kind my first impression is always that the whole thing was staged. I mean, really, what kind of people carry signs saying "I want to kill you"? Normally, people who want to kill other people carry weapons and actually attempt the deed, rather than carrying signs with threats. What purpose could such signs possibly serve?

I love "Europe, y[ou'll] pay, Fantas are on th[eir] way!!!".

OH NO!!

image_fanta_strawberry1.jpg

"I think there is a difference between a joke made at the expense of the privileged and a joke made at the expense of the oppressed."

we fight to correct the imbalance, and fight to keep the imbalance. Imbalance, imbalance...

Another thing I didn't get too:

Isn't there some kind of "USA/Israel attacks us, we will attack... Europe"?? I miss a part of who hates who for what reasons (previous colonialism?). Probably complex, but it couldn't all be displaced rage from USA onto Europe.

my first impression is always that the whole thing was staged. I mean, really, what kind of people carry signs saying "I want to kill you"?

"Best picture" = staged, as any good picture? In any case, it's worrying in the least. Shows some are all ready to take arms (or fantas) indiscriminately.