Dune related "in-jokes"

Vanguard3000

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the song "Weapon of Choice" by Fatboy Slim, the phrase "If you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm" alludes to the sandworms of Dune.

Enjoy! http://sandworm.ytmnd.com/  :)

[EDIT]

Also, in an episode of Jimmy Neutron, Jimmy's teacher Ms. Fowl becomes miniaturized and ends up riding a worm found in an apple like a Sandworm.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

here's a spinoff to magic the gathering named space the convergence..

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/391

look at the examples of cards at the near bottom of the page, find the card Neural Klaxon. the card shows a triangluar shaped device with a hole in the middle. the flavor text says : "this is a test. This is only a test" which obviously is similar to the agony box, except that the neural klaxon is triangular!

snopes cat thread

warning: contains lots of cat pictures.

It's an internet meme

Pretty much posting random stuff with a theme.

Take for example:

Say someone makes a thread or post about something that is stupid or I don't really care about or people in general should not care about. I would post this:

carefactory5ycdi6uq3.th.jpg (click to enlarge).

EDIT:

Just noticed this popular cat meme has his own webpage.

http://www.ceilingcat.com/

• 2 weeks later...

"Could you please explain that? As a non-native speaker I must have missed a point..."

The verbs are in the wrong person. You probably haven't picked up on this because Russian doesn't have the verb "to be" in the present finite.

The verb conjugates:

I am / We are

You are / You are

He, she, it is / They are

Therefore, "I are Dunecat" should be "I am Dunecat"

Note also that "controls" is third person singular (the he, she, or it form). Regular English verbs, unlike Russian and other languages, don't normally change their endings based on who's doing the action, but they do in the third person singular - in most cases, they just add an "s". You've obviously learnt to do it automatically, as I've never seen you do it wrong, but you're not aware of it. Hence, "he controls the spice" and "whoever controls the spice" are correct, but we should say "I control the spice", not "I controls the spice".

No no no, I noticed the wrong use of personal forms of course, but I don't know what stylistic functioning, if any, does it have - if it has been done intentionally ??? BTW, am I right to assume you're a linguist, Nema? I think some remark by a forum member (possibly Edric O) hinted that you're a linguist.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, well, it's a joke from 4chan. It started out with stuff like a cat looking very very cute, going "Is it can be hug tiem now plees?", which passed on its bad grammar on to a cat licking its paw with the caption "I has a flavor", and eventually ending up with Dunecat.

If you want to know more about various internet memes (which are in-jokes in all their forms, not just a picture, as pointed out earlier - that's called a macro), I encourage you to go to encyclopediadramatica.com. It's the repository for everything lulz on the internets.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...